SASS Wire Forum

I’m beginning to think that there won’t be a Fall

Utah Bob #35998

The kids won’t be able to wear hot costumes for Halloween.

Turkey frying will cause more wildfires.

The phrase “That’s hot” will be outlawed.

Then I’ll wake up to 4 feet of snow one morning….which will melt by lunchtime. :(

Every year there are those who complain about the weather being hot after September starts.

I flew hot air balloons for 25 years and I can tell you from experience and log books that the hottest times of the years are end of September and the first 2 weeks of October. The weather would turn cooler and cold a week or two before Halloween. As a balloon pilot we looked forward to the end of October when it would cool down and not try to cook us during the flights.

There may be a cold few days at the start of September but I do not count on it. I do get my winter close and coat out and cleaned by the end of September to be ready for the turn that's coming.

Right now it is 104 F outside here at my house. Weather says down to the 80s Sat & Sun but back up next week. Just being teased.

Still pretty warm here in Middle Tennessee, but I saw a couple of red leaves falling just after lunch while driving my son to pick up a car that he is doing some repairs on. I looked around and saw a few more brightly colored leaves amongst the greenery.

It might be pretty this year since we have had good rainfall in August and early September.

I hear this every year around here. People forget that it actually does slowly turn into fall from summer. September is still warm and even in October we get an “Indian Summer” most years, a week of warm weather after a couple weeks of chilly rainy weather. I’m talking NE Ohio. 

I don’t recall any 90+ days in Sept in the 16 years I’ve been here. 85 -87 is normal for the first 2-3 weeks. This is unusual. Denver is breaking records this week. A gigantic high pressure ares has us in its toasty grip. Just went over 90 again a couple of minutes ago. Fortunately the humidity is 18%. If I was in Florida I’d be under a shade tree with the sprinkler on me. 

34 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just 105° F here, A/C still down but cool inside due to morning cool, a few tricks, and good insulation.  Fall is supposed to start at 76° tomorrow, but often it is bait & switch, with heat for another week.

Fall doesn’t start until Sept 22

Astronomical Fall starts September 22

Meteorological Fall started September 1

When the pinecones drop, it is Fall.  The pine nuts then germinate soon afterwards in the winter moisture.  

In 2019, the pines dropped their cones in April.  I had never seen that previously. Unknown to us then, the Ponderosa Pines were mortally stressed by Western Pine Beetle attacks.  The dying trees appeared to be desperatly trying to distribute their reproductive products before they became incapable.   That summer, 95% of the P. Pines over much of California  expired.  

I moved from being right on the Sound in WA to south of Nashville the first part of May.  It has been hot, muggy, and miserable as hell since arriving.  No one wants to stay, the humidity and heat is oppressive, and i frankly don’t understand all the love for this area and climate.

miss this….EE4EF7AB-AF68-4F2E-867C-0B51F729EC9A.thumb.jpeg.cec2f4613ad5b005d3ce1573a13ad035.jpeg

trick or treat on the docks 4E679EF5-D661-4F9A-A1C5-5AB77033BDD6.thumb.jpeg.8d3e5c41604c9050e49d4b16843cbd85.jpeg

11 hours ago, JD Lud said:

I moved from being right on the Sound in WA to south of Nashville the first part of May.  It has been hot, muggy, and miserable as hell since arriving.  No one wants to stay, the humidity and heat is oppressive, and i frankly don’t understand all the love for this area and climate.

miss this….EE4EF7AB-AF68-4F2E-867C-0B51F729EC9A.thumb.jpeg.cec2f4613ad5b005d3ce1573a13ad035.jpeg

trick or treat on the docks 4E679EF5-D661-4F9A-A1C5-5AB77033BDD6.thumb.jpeg.8d3e5c41604c9050e49d4b16843cbd85.jpeg

I agree and I’ve lived in the Georgia Piedmont my whole life. You should try parts of South Georgia when it’s full of gnats and flies and air is hot, muggy and completely dead with no breeze.

Wait til winter when it’s cold and wet in January or February and your joints start aching.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I agree and I’ve lived in the Georgia Piedmont my whole life. You should try parts of South Georgia when it’s full of gnats and flies and air is hot, muggy and completely dead with no breeze.

Wait til winter when it’s cold and wet in January or February and your joints start aching.

It’s not cold in the winter in Georgia :) 

I went from 75- 80 degrees, 15-25% humidity sunny days to 80+ degrees and 75% humidity and rain every other day. 1/2 hour mowing the lawn and my clothes rare soaked in sweat, but here is this strange smell in the air. It’s sweet. I finally figured out what it was when walking out the door of a gun store with the 33 round capacity pistol that I arrived 15 minutes earlier to purchase the other day.

That sweet smell is “Freedom”! :FlagAm:

Whenever the weather is bad or crummy here I will think back to my time in CA. I am sure my attitude will get better real quick. ;)

On this date, in Denver 2 years ago, it snowed.

36 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Generally, no. But it can be miserable in winter when is raining muddy and temp is high 30’s low 40’s. Usually Jan-Feb. North Ga mountains up into Tennessee are worse. My friends Canadian wife hated winter here

Nothing like the miserable weather in Kansas City though. I’ve been there and it pouring rain and temps in high 20’s.

36 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Maybe not all the time but it does get cold and they'll occasionally get ice storms which strands people on the highways and causes power outages. There was a bad one a few years ago as I remember.

48 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe not all the time but it does get cold and they'll occasionally get ice storms which strands people on the highways and causes power outages. There was a bad one a few years ago as I remember.

I guess it’s all perspective, I consider Alaska, the Dakotas and places like upper Canada cold. I even occasionally feel sorry for the people in the UP of Michigan. But many times their problem is constant snow more than cold. When you have to drain your antifreeze in your car in the winter so it doesn’t freeze you live somewhere that’s cold 

We are 114 again today.
I have the A/C condenser unit in the shade, and a low volume mister blowing on the coils.
Even set to 82 degrees in the house, it is running a whole lot.
I'm getting about 70 degrees at the duct, with a precision darkroom thermometer.

7 minutes ago, bgavin said:

We are 114 again today.
I have the A/C condenser unit in the shade, and a low volume mister blowing on the coils.
Even set to 82 degrees in the house, it is running a whole lot.
I'm getting about 70 degrees at the duct, with a precision darkroom thermometer.

Be a anarchist and treat yourself a little, set that thermostat at 75 :) 

It's been 100+ here for several days out of the past month - the driest summer on record, state-wide. This afternoon, a cold front blew down the Rocky Mountain Front up on the Montana Highline bringing wind and cold rain, and the temp dropped drastically to 44 degrees by 3:00 pm in the Choteau/Augusta area. It was 105 at Saturday's Cowboy shoot up there (Sept 3). Tomorrow night's low is supposed to be 39.

The Change is a'comin'.

Was talking with relatives today that have friends hunting bear in Maine. No beers are showing up at the bait stations. The theory is the bears are still filling up on acorns and such. I asked if they thought this might be an indication that the bears aren’t trying to fatten up then maybe Maine will have a light winter and therefore a light winter in the northeast. They all acknowledged that this might be the case. 

Archived