SASS Wire Forum

.380 recommendation

Clay Mosby

Ruger LCP II. It is absolutely reliable and is a pooch to shoot. The LCP Max is supposed to be an improvement. If you can find one, the Springfield 911 is a nice gun that you can have cocked and locked. Easy to shoot.

Some of the smaller micro 9s aren't that bad with recoil. The Ruger Max 9 and S&W Shield Plus are soft shooters and accurate.

8 minutes ago, Boss Hog said:

The Ruger LCR in 327 federal is quite possibly one of the best carry guns for women.

My wife and daughter both carry one.  You can practice with 32 H&R  and carry with the 327.

380? Answer to the OP question? Not! Ammo in the stores? Rarely.

Bersa Thunder is a 380 that seems to fit a very wide variety of hands, and has enough weight to keep recoil manageable. Accurate, dependable, and reasonably-priced. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

In 1978. I got a hold of a Beretta model 70 and was instantly hooked. It shot fantastic and was very accurate. I’ve owned two of them over the years. I’ve also owned the Colt, a kimber, and a Springfield. The beretta to me was the best. I no longer on any 380s. I have switched to the P938

Clear back in 1963 I picked up  a used Beretta T-70 in .32 acp.  I Ioved that little gun once I got some decent mags for it (the original was dented and I could never get it run tight), but I had to sell it to make tuition one quarter.

I've never seen another one that was priced even remotely in a reasonable range.

I carried it in the first shoulder holster I ever owned.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Clear back in 1963 I picked up  a used Beretta T-70 in .32 acp.  I Ioved that little gun once I got some decent mags for it (the original was dented and I could never get it run tight), but I had to sell it to make tuition one quarter.

I've never seen another one that was priced even remotely in a reasonable range.

I carried it in the first shoulder holster I ever owned.

The first model I had hooked me so bad that I ultimately ended up with a model 70 in 32 acp and a 70s in 22 lr. I sold all 3 as a set. Made quite a bit of profit on that sale. Now I deeply regret it

I have very rarely ever sold a gun that I didn't regret.....and I've gone through a heap of guns down the years.

I went to breakfast yesterday with a mob that meets every Thursday for breakfast.  One of the fellas had a Luger.  Back in the days when you could still get a decent Luger for $20 or slightly more I bought and sold maybe a dozen of them.  I  haven't owned another since about 1970 and can't justify spending the going price for one now.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, Chantry said:

Remind me to let you try both my Kahr PM9 & P380 if you are coming to the Boil in October

I'll be there!!!

On 9/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, Texas Red said:

Here's a Good one...

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

Mine have these pachmayer grips.  I’m looking for checkered wood grips as well.

DBCEF46B-4F53-4EFB-92CD-CD43FFB633AE.jpeg

On 9/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

One of the fellas had a Luger.  Back in the days when you could still get a decent Luger for $20 or slightly more I bought and sold maybe a dozen of them.  I  haven't owned another since about 1970 and can't justify spending the going price for one now.

True enough but "back in the days" that 20 bucks was as big as a blanket; it would get the family through the rest of the week many times.....

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

True enough but "back in the days" that 20 bucks was as big as a blanket; it would get the family through the rest of the week many times.....

And some of them did, thanks to pawn shops.  I was a 2d Lt. and not making much money.

These types of threads are almost always totally useless.  Someone will recommend every obscure .380 built since 1908 and many will go off topic and recommend something completely different.  The only way to know what a lady might like is for HER to go to a range and try out a few guns or at least go to a gunstore and handle a few differnt models.

My favorite .380 is the Remington Model 51.  General Patton carried one so it has to be good.  

300px-Remington_pederson_51.jpg.d77bbc2a42f8e77ed812d0a5ae6f0beb.jpg

Archived