SASS Wire Forum

.380 recommendation

Clay Mosby

A non-SASS friend of mine told me the other day he was looking to purchase a .380 for his Mrs. and did I have any recommendations?  Well, I know very, very little. I have a Springfield Armory 1911, and my Dad's old Nationale Fabrique .38 which hasn't been fired in probably 40 years.

What say you?

Depends on what she wants to do with it . And are they choosing 380 because of recoil? There’s allot of really small 9mm’s out there now . Ammo is allot easier to get with far better selection. Also little compact 380/9mm are easy to carry but typically harder to shoot . 
Personally I would recommend he take his wife to a gunshop and see what she feels comfortable with in her hand . Ideally go to one with a indoor range where she can shoot them. 
Personally I really like the sig 365 , it comes in a variety of sizes now . I think it also comes in 380 but don’t quote me on that. 
If the reason for the 380 is she’s recoil sensitive she may really hate the small guns even in 380 , less mass more recoil. 
A little money spent at the range can save allot of money spent on a undesirable choice. Sometimes CCW instructors have a good selection of pistols students can try and it may only cost paying for a couple hours of their time 

380 auto, like 20 gauge shotguns, tend to be "snappy" and have more felt recoil.  The best for ultra concealment tend to be guns like the Ruger LCP, the S&W Bodyguard,  and the Colt Pocketlite 380.  The easiest to shoot are the mid size, like the S&W 380 EZ and the Beretta 84BB.  These last two are also more bulky, and harder to conceal.  My wife has been through all of them in the last 10 years.  Her favorite shooting gun was the S&W 380  EZ, but she hated carrying it.  She currently is carrying a Ruger LCP II in 22 LR.  I'd prefer she didn't depend on a 22, but she does carry it pretty much all the time.

I'd echo the advice given by Buckshot Bob.  Try to find a range where she can try a couple out for herself.

Kahr P380 or CW380 (the economy version, no match grade barrel, only one magazine).  I have the Kahr P380.  It's a locked breech action, not a blowback.  Recoil is surprisingly mild for such a small, light gun.  Mine has been completely reliable with any of the factory ammo I've used.  I also have the PM9, which has also been completely reliable with factory ammo.  It does recoil a bit more than the P380, but might be a consideration.  

I'll agree with what's been said above, try and find another shooter or range with rental guns and try as many as possible.  Skip the cheap, low end stuff.

SIG P238.  -_-

Essentially a baby 1911.  Built like a Swiss watch, and 'way more accurate than it has a right to be. 

Suggest he take her to a gun shop and let her pick out what she wants.  Too many variables.  Hand size, recoil, trigger pull, etc.

I like the Kimber Micro 380. Fits in my back pocket and has an external hammer (I dislike the hammerless designs).

I also have a Sig 365 in 9mm that is a little bulkier.

BS

The wife has been through several carry guns - .45 ACP Officers Model, LCR9, G-26, and G-43.  She finally settled on the M&P .380 Shield EZ.  She carries it everywhere and has created her own carry options depending on the circumstances. 

Neoprene body wrap holster, pocketbook, belt holster, IWB...

...you name it, she has one - and uses them all.

There are tons of subcompact 9mm pistols on the market but they all come with significantly more recoil than a 380.  Shoot a G-42 and a G-43 and you see the difference.  For my tastes, I purchase larger portions of caliber and recoil off the menu because I shoot enough to manage recoil without it impacting accuracy or shoot-ability. 

Smaller folks with smaller hands, or folks that don't shoot enough to become comfortable and confident with the gun are more likely to enjoy less recoil over a more powerful cartridge in the same sized gun.  There is one ever present truth with self defense guns -  a .22LR in your person  is a better defense weapon than the .44 magnum secured at home in the gun safe.

Just my two cents.

From the experience of a friend and his wife in the US; (No CCW in Canada)

"If you choose to carry an auto-loader, (His wife tried a .380) make sure she/you practice with it and can handle it!" 

His wife liked the look and feel etc. of the .380 they bought for her, but she could only get one shot off from it before it jammed, due to her tendency to limp wrist the piece.

I typically carry a Ruger LCP in 380 in my pocket. The recoil is rough on my trigger finger! But reasonably concealed and better than nothing! 

I agree with OLG.  A wheel gun is IMO a very good choice. They are very reliable and jambs are un likely. Ammo is easy to find, and some of today's defense ammo is not only low recoil, but extremely effective. They are usually much eaiser to shoot than auto loaders. SW new Body Guard is light and not too costly. A carry purse is a good in investment. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Steak said:

The wife has been through several carry guns - .45 ACP Officers Model, LCR9, G-26, and G-43.  She finally settled on the M&P .380 Shield EZ.  She carries it everywhere and has created her own carry options depending on the circumstances. 

Neoprene body wrap holster, pocketbook, belt holster, IWB...

...you name it, she has one - and uses them all.

I forgot about the M&P Shield EZ, I have one in 9mm but the .380 is a great little gun also!

I bought a Colt Government .380 and still carry it from time to time.  My wife was good with guns but wasn't comfortable carrying one, and we tried several.  She finally got a Beretta tip-up .32 (Tomcat?).  That one was on her except when she went to court.  They put it in a lock box until she came out.  Funny thing is we lived in California and no one ever asked for a CCW permit in 23 years.  Good thing: she didn't have one.

Her car gun was a model 19 S&W and two speed loaders in a holster( that a colleague's husband made for her.  I wish he was still alive.) on the front of the driver's seat.

Take the advice above about letting her try a bunch to find one that fits and find a way to let her shoot it.

I think you’re starting to see your going to get allot of different answers to this question. Buying a carry gun, and something to carry it in is allot like buying a article of clothing or a vehicle. There’s a big difference in personal preference and intended use. And I totally agree that if it is a carry gun , she needs to get something she will actually carry. It’s all a compromise, the gun that is the most fun to shoot typically isn’t the most pleasant to carry all day and the easiest to carry all day typically isn’t that much fun to shoot .

Or you can go with that old saying that carrying a gun is supposed to comforting not comfortable.

Luckily with the selection of guns and holsters they have today it’s easier than it’s ever been , you just have to wade your way through all the options and opinions. After you define what your trying to accomplish. 

Have your friend take her to a range and rent some. I can guarantee that is the one good way of picking a gun for a woman. LET HER PICK IT!

I will tell you something else. I assumed .380 didn’t kick much. :blink: I bought a Keltec P3AT. I am a fairly big guy with big hands. That little gun hurt! It bit my finger with every trigger pull and the recoil was uncomfortable. I ditched it and bought a Remington RM380. Excellent little shooter but the trigger pull is far too long. I no longer own a .380. 

I prefer a J frame .38, as @The Original Lumpy Gritzrecommended. I am actually considering an SP101. A little more weight to tame recoil. 

As has been repeated here a lot - ultimately she needs to pick out the gun she will train with and use.

A few things to consider:

She needs to shoot it before buying it.  It's going to behave different in her hands than in anyone else's.

Blow back operated guns have more felt recoil more than delayed (browning design).

There are some 9 mm pistols in a similar envelope that have less felt recoil, especially when shooting 147 gr loads.

.380 is a good self defense load, but don't rule out a quality .32 or even .22 - a reliable gun that is accurate and 

easy to shoot is far better than one that isn't, and you can do a significant amount of threat stopping with a .22 if

you know how to use it.

A double action revolver in .32/.32 mag or .38 spcl is a very reliable option.

There are many newer designs from S&W, Walther, etc. for those with less upper body strength making for

easier loading and clearing of the pistol.

Hope this helps,

SC

1 hour ago, Texas Red said:

Here's a Good one...

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

That's my baby.  I bought it from a private eye in Pomona, California who said he was going back to a Detective Special.  He never said why, but for $250.00 ( in 1985) I couldn't pass it up.  Got two magazines with it and picked up a third a few years later.

I'm sort of looking for  a set of "double diamond" walnut grips for it, without the Colt insignia on them, to match my 1911.  Not actively, but I wouldn't pass up a set if I came across them.

My wife loves her Sig P238. She has one and I also have one.

She also has a Glock 42. But prefers the 238.

I also have a Bersa .380 that is a nice shooting gun.

I have a number of 9mm that I carry. And wife has tried many if not all of them.

But still goes back to her Sig 238.

I work in a gun store. Sale a lot of .380acp to women. 

Number one thing is to have her shoot one. We see way to many .380acp not recycling due to poor training or weak hands. 

But we also push .38spl for that reason after they find out.

Now 30 super carry is becoming popular with small frame carry firearms.

In 1978. I got a hold of a Beretta model 70 and was instantly hooked. It shot fantastic and was very accurate. I’ve owned two of them over the years. I’ve also owned the Colt, a kimber, and a Springfield. The beretta to me was the best. I no longer on any 380s. I have switched to the P938

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I bought a Colt Government .380 and still carry it from time to time.  My wife was good with guns but wasn't comfortable carrying one, and we tried several.  She finally got a Beretta tip-up .32 (Tomcat?).  That one was on her except when she went to court.  They put it in a lock box until she came out.  Funny thing is we lived in California and no one ever asked for a CCW permit in 23 years.  Good thing: she didn't have one.

Her car gun was a model 19 S&W and two speed loaders in a holster( that a colleague's husband made for her.  I wish he was still alive.) on the front of the driver's seat.

Take the advice above about letting her try a bunch to find one that fits and find a way to let her shoot it.

I totally agree with the Beretta Tomcat for recoil sensitive folks and seniors. Easy to pack it’s lightweight and comfortable to carry with minimal recoil. One of the best features is that you never have to touch the slide to load or lower a hammer. Is it in the 32 acp a one shopper hell no but remember no one wants to get shot so it is a one shot discourger.

Is this a concealed carry gun or or is this just something with less recoil? 

Because the OP asked specifically about 380s I'll bring up the Sig P230/232s, both are excellent 380 pistols.  The Glock 42 is probably the smallest and lightest 380 that is actually practical to shoot IMHO.  Ruger and Kel-Tec both make very small truly pocket sized 380s but I find them wildly uncomfortable to shoot. 

If the OP is simply looking for a lower recoiling gun keep in mind most 380s are straight blowback design pistols and they will actually generate as much or more felt recoil than a standard 9mm.    

5 hours ago, Sebastian Blud said:

I work in a gun store. Sale a lot of .380acp to women. 

Number one thing is to have her shoot one. We see way to many .380acp not recycling due to poor training or weak hands. 

But we also push .38spl for that reason after they find out.

Now 30 super carry is becoming popular with small frame carry firearms.

When I worked in Mt 60 Rod N Gun we'd have a lot of first time women shooters come in.  If they had a man with them, I'd give him a dollar and tell him to go sown to the cafe on the corner and get some coffee and a donut and come back in an hour.  I did this because so many guys would come in all enamored by the latest "gee whiz" gun and the lady did know gun from a dumb bell.  She didn't need a fancy ticked out peice

I talk to her and find out all I could and then show her a half dozen guns.  We had an indoor range a couple of miles up the road and if I could I'd call up and tell them I had a new comer coming in and what we had decided was best.

I had a lot of guys raise particular hell with me but most of the time after I explained why, he'd calm down and take her up to the range.  There was a guy who worked up there (some of you may remember Undertaker) who had a natural way with women.  Men couldn't stand him, but he triggered something in women.  They'd get a really good forty five minute to an hour shooting the guns, then he'd send them back to me to sell the gun and sign them (and many time the guy with here) up to bunch of range time.  

We split commissions and in the three years I worked there I must have sold 150 guns to ladies, about 3/4 were five shot, 4" barrel .38 Specials  We got pretty good at "add on sales". too.  Holsters, purses with built in holsters, ammo, targets, shooting gloves, carrying cases, cleaning kits (surprisingly most women want really clean guns), and the like.  We also signed up a lot for the California Rifle and Pistol Association, and the NRA and some local clubs.   Also recruited some new SASS shooters ( and all the stuff that goes with that) ND we got ogf guys as customers, too.

I loved the job, but what very little they paid me I spent right in the store.  Thank God for and understanding wife.

I own several .380s.  They can be very "snappy",  

One of the easiest shooting .380s is the S&W .380 Shield EZ.  This is a great pistol!  It's a little big but, has little recoil and the slide is easy to work.

s&w 380 shield ez - Search (bing.com)

As a second gun, I carry a Beretta Pico in .380.  Very small and flat: double action only:

Pico (beretta.com)

It shoots well and is very small.

21 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Personally I would recommend he take his wife to a gunshop and see what she feels comfortable with in her hand . Ideally go to one with a indoor range where she can shoot them.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Let her decide on what she likes.  Then have her shoot one.

Also let her try a 9mm. She may find the recoil to her liking.

Thanks for all the great input folks, I'll be passing this along to my friend. Well, actually more acquaintance than friend, we haven't hung out together for some time. But I digress, he says they've done some research but other than that I have no idea as to use or preferences.

Thanks Again. 

21 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I typically carry a Ruger LCP in 380 in my pocket. The recoil is rough on my trigger finger! But reasonably concealed and better than nothing! 

Remind me to let you try both my Kahr PM9 & P380 if you are coming to the Boil in October

Archived