Those Boats Are BIG

Subdeacon Joe

J K7 is the Velsheda built in 1933.

Dispalcement 143 tons

Length 129' 3" overall

91'2" at the waterline

Beam 21'6"

Draft 15'

Rebuilt several times over the years with various standing rig modifications.

The original J class specifications were drawn up by Nathanael Herreshoff's as the Universal Rule in 1903.

Yes, I studied boats built by this man and then his son.

Just get it out for a little "Day Sail."  Yule only need between 30 & 35 Friends to crew for ya.

"J" Boats are probably the most gorgeous Sail Boats ever conceived.  A "J" Boat is NOT cheap to feed by any means.  

But . . . . Oh Yum!!!

I'm an acknowledged old fart and traditionalist. 

That said, I far more appreciate watching monohulled, sloop- or gaff-rigged boats with keels over the whiz-bang, multi-hull, hydrofoiled, space-age creations that have invaded and conquered the America's Cup and other races.  -_-

Philippe Mallet - "Ranger", 1937 America's Cup Winner J-Class Racing Yacht  Sailboat Ink on Paper For Sale at 1stDibs

America's Cup: Boats capable of reaching 100kmh, says Team New Zealand ace  | Stuff.co.nz

For those that don’t know the J class boats were raced in the americas cup in the 30’s.    Most did not survive ww2 and the ones now are mostly reproductions of the originals with updates to modern standards for safety.   The originals did not have engines and had to be towed in and out of harbor.  They ranged from about 120 ft to around 145 ft in length larger than modern supermaxis.   

one of the last great yacht races is the Sydney to Hobart, day after Christmas start.  Quite a sight to watch 100 ft yachts battle to be the first ones out of Sydney harbor.  

I think it was 1971.  Bill "Wynuts" suggested we drop in at "the Club" for a drink; I was game, of course. 

The "club" turned out to be the St Francis Yacht Club.  Bill's dad - and Bill, by extension - was a long-time member of the Mission Bay Yacht Club in San Diego.  And, as there was reciprocity between the clubs, he would from time to time invite a guest (me!) and run up his pop's tab.  That was one REALLY cool "hangout!"

Anyway, we had two or three drinks and decided to mosey along the docks and check out the boats.  And there was one very special vessel... Windward Passage, just returned from winning the Transpac - the 2,225 nautical mile race from Southern California to Hawaii.  She set a new record, making the voyage in nine days, nine hours, and six minutes.  

We were standing there admiring her when a head popped up from below ~ a young, single crewmember who had been left aboard as the "watch."  We struck up a conversation, got invited aboard for a tour, and had some additional libations with the fella.  All in all, a very cool evening.

She was absolutely amazing!  Built in 1967, she was designed and built for speed... obviously a meld of nautical and aircraft technology.  Austere, virtually no creature comforts - but she was beautiful.  ^_^

File:Windward Passage under sail in Newport Beach by Don Ramey Logan.jpg -  Wikimedia Commons

Funny you mention st Francis yacht club and the transpac. My dad sailed on Santana in 1961 as an 18 year old fresh out of high school.  Still have his crew shirt from the race.  He never sailed off shore again after that trip.   Almost a month of sailing to get there and back.  Guess he had had enough of the open ocean.  

had a funny story with my gpa, he took my wife and I to the club (San Francisco yacht club) for lunch.   There was a young ish guy at the next table who was quite full of himself and obviously showing off his membership.   After ordering the waiter asks his member number and he rattles off a fairly long number.  Then we order and of course get asked the same question, my gpa answers with 12.  The waiter seems a bit confused, but goes on his way.   We later ask about this and the story goes, my gpa was a member before there were member numbers and he just happened to be 12th on the list (alphabetically) when numbers were created.  

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I think it was 1971.  Bill "Wynuts" suggested we drop in at "the Club" for a drink; I was game, of course. 

The "club" turned out to be the St Francis Yacht Club.  Bill's dad - and Bill, by extension - was a long-time member of the Mission Bay Yacht Club in San Diego.  And, as there was reciprocity between the clubs, he would from time to time invite a guest (me!) and run up his pop's tab.  That was one REALLY cool "hangout!"

Anyway, we had two or three drinks and decided to mosey along the docks and check out the boats.  And there was one very special vessel... Windward Passage, just returned from winning the Transpac - the 2,225 nautical mile race from Southern California to Hawaii.  She set a new record, making the voyage in nine days, nine hours, and six minutes.  

We were standing there admiring her when a head popped up from below ~ a young, single crewmember who had been left aboard as the "watch."  We struck up a conversation, got invited aboard for a tour, and had some additional libations with the fella.  All in all, a very cool evening.

She was absolutely amazing!  Built in 1967, she was designed and built for speed... obviously a meld of nautical and aircraft technology.  Austere, virtually no creature comforts - but she was beautiful.  ^_^

File:Windward Passage under sail in Newport Beach by Don Ramey Logan.jpg -  Wikimedia Commons

Very B)

Archived