SASS Wire Forum

Would you rent a bathing suit?

Alpo

Watching SOME LIKE IT HOT last night. Was made in the early 50s but it was taking place in 1929. They are at a resort in South Florida and they are going swimming, and Tony reminds Jack that he has no bathing suit. Marilyn says that is all right - she doesn't have one either. Then she says they can rent them at the bathhouse on the beach.

Charles Coburn and Jean Arthur. THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES. New York City sometime in the early 30s. They go to Coney Island, and rent bathing suits at the bathhouse.

The thought of that just makes me shudder. Now I've rented shoes at the bowling alley, but there's socks on my feet. In high school band my uniform had been worn before, but I had underwear underneath it. But the bathing suit ain't got nothing between you and it.

Just seems - eeewwwwww.

I've heard of girls - especially in their teens or early twenties - wearing each other's underwear. Like if Sally has a real hot date and wants to look sexy underneath the dress in case she decides to let Tommy get lucky, so she borrows some sheer black lingerie from Betty.

But having raised three of them, I'm of the opinion that girls ain't got no sense. Hell, one married me. That proves they're foolish.

We once came by a hot springs resort and spontaneously decided to go in. I didn't have any bathing trunks with me, so I asked for some. They had disposable ones which astonished me. I wouldn't have cared if they gave me "rental" ones as it's quite the same as using shower towels in a hotel or a sauna.

Howdy,

If you are swimming in a clorine pool with others

why would the suit make a difference?

I would assume the suits get washed in between uses.

And the sun is a great cleaner and germ fighter.

Best

CR

Some of y'all are responding logically.

My response is strictly emotional. It's like I would not wear my brother's underwear.

His dirty underwear is washed in the same washing machine load as my dirty underwear, so logic says that his underwear is just as clean as my underwear.

But they're just ain't no way in hell that I'm going to wear my brother's skivvies. That's disgusting.

So my wife said "take off my shirt". So I did as she said and took off her shirt.

Then she said, "Take off my skirt." I continued and took off her skirt.

"Take off my shoes." Once again, I did as she said and I took off her shoes.

"Now my hose, bra, and panties." And lastly, I took them off.

Then she looked at me and said, "I don't want to catch you wearing my things ever again!"

Somehow came to my mind... :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

So my wife said "take off my shirt". So I did as she said and took off her shirt.

Then she said, "Take off my skirt." I continued and took off her skirt.

"Take off my shoes." Once again, I did as she said and I took off her shoes.

"Now my hose, bra, and panties." And lastly, I took them off.

Then she looked at me and said, "I don't want to catch you wearing my things ever again!"

Somehow came to my mind... :ph34r:

#53 except it was the ranch boss lady to her bunkhouse foreman.

Years ago, we used to rent them at the City pools.

They were given a sterilizing hot wash and inspected  before being put back on the shelf.

went to visit an uncle in Cheyenne, WY back in late 50s

his roommate was the summer swim coach at the local high school.  Pool was open to local guys and girls--each having separate times of pool use

we didn't swim in any suits at all--reason being given was no place for the wet trunks (girls had suits)--spent a week there and swam every day

When I was in Budapest a couple of years ago I went to the big central hot springs.  Mostly to look at the old buildings.  They rented everything so I went ahead and went into the springs.  Have not died or caught anything as a result.  The hot springs have been used since Roman times.  Maybe that explains the fall of Rome.  I was there in the winter so I only went to the indoor springs.

SzechenyiBaths-598469e2685fbe0011be38a1.thumb.jpg.06781ce12d001d40e8b37c1b6389f644.jpg

2 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Well so much for my plans Saturday Night :)

With a swim suit or a pig!:lol:

I wouldn't do it myself, but that's irrational on my part.

After all, I dry off with the towels at hotels, and sleep on the sheets.   Especially with the sheets, I can't even be 100% certain they changed them after the last guy.

I eat with forks at restaurants - who know how well (or even if) they were washed?   

I'd bet we've all eaten at enough restaurants that somewhere at some point we ate something that would make us puke - IF we had known we were eating it.  

Come to think of it, the condition of the water in the pool would probably be far more disconcerting than the condition of the rented suit.  

Still wouldn't do it personally though.   But I own that I'm crazy.

45 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Y'all are sooooooo funny!!

So, how many of you bring your own sheets and towels to use at hotels???:ph34r:

I never said it made sense. It just seems - yucky.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Y'all are sooooooo funny!!

So, how many of you bring your own sheets and towels to use at hotels???:ph34r:

Never taken my own sheets. I always have towels (former good towels) in my vehicle but have never used them at a hotel for drying after a bath.

I always take my own pillow with me on any overnight trip. Say what you will...at least I can sleep semi-good on them hard hotel beds.

Archived