SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Action Shooting Gun Cart

Hawk Eyes Hudson

Hey Wranglers,

I am a newbie to this game and I hope with a little time I will smooth and sharpen my edge.  I am the curious type when it comes to guns and have armored several AR and Ruger 10/22.  Many fine guns I hope I never have to part with.  I do have a women?  Anyways, I have purchased two Ruger 44 Vaqueros and tuned them up with Longhunter spring kits and Power Custom half cock trigger kits.  I only screwed up one paw.  They are now slicker than owl substance.

I do digress!  I like to do things myself, when I can.  I decided that I can build my own gun cart.  Pictures attached.  I am looking for a name for this behemoth.

War Wagon/John Wayne Movie or Chuckwagon, cause it's loaded.  If any of you folks get the notion for a good name please drop me a message and I will post the winner in about a month.

Hawk Eyes Hudson

SASS # 112559

aka: Ric W.

IMG-1649.jpg

IMG-1650.jpg

IMG-1651.jpg

IMG-1652.jpg

IMG-1653.jpg

IMG-1654.jpg

Unfinished project!  I will be adding my handle with umbrella support and an anti tilt mech, for when the front box is light.  The latches on the side allows me to fold the gun box on top of the storage compartment if it becomes necessary.  I will post more pictures when I get these modifications done.  If my kids ever want to follow their Pappy on the SASS/CAS trail we will have plenty of room for awhile.

Keep your powder dry and you lips wet!

H.E.H.

"Just a little heavy"

I have made nine and have the makes of five more to do in the garage.  Each one is different to meet different needs.

The first one, before I had actually seen nothing but pictures of SASS gun carts, was made of 3/4-inch red oak and offers every solution for our needs.  It is easily disassembled and folds down to the height of just the base.  It would be much like yours.  It is pretty but is rarely used.  It takes two men and a boy to load that sucker.

Howdy Cowboys,

Designing a gun cart seems like battle of capacity vs. weight and portability. I currently have two. One from a golf bag cart (very light, packable but with only 2 guns and limited storage. The other made from and Israeli Uzi shipping box (4 guns, better storage still has flaws but does what I need). Am I designing the "perfect" gun cart in my mine? You bet. 

Rev. Chase

The golf cart route is light and handy.  Built one that would hold 3 long guns . storage box big enough to sit on (carefully!) Gave it to a friend when I moved.  Have another golf cart in the garage basis for another one.  No style points, but handles the job and most kinds of terrain.

What more do you need than two hands and set of saddlebags slung over one shoulder?  All the rest is just an excuse to carry more garbage! :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Griff said:

What more do you need than two hands and set of saddlebags slung over one shoulder?  All the rest is just an excuse to carry more garbage! :ph34r:

I tried that, it didn't work for me.

It looks like you have to close the top to get into the bottom.  If so, that's gonna get old fast with more than one person using the cart at a match. 

Don't let folks get you down Hawk Eyes. Is it large, yes. Too large, maybe. Almost everyone who builds their first gun cart, builds it way too big and heavy. That's how you learn. The next cart build is more compact, lighter and efficient. Happens every time.

Oh, having a 97 on board anything makes it sexy.

Welcome Hawk Eyes to the best game and folks goin'. Good Luck on your cart. So far so good. Enjoy 

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

I appreciate much of the criticisms that followed my post especially those of you who made sense or had an inclusive tone.  I look forward to becoming an integral part of the society and a respected competitor in time.  I am new and have a lot to learn.  I don't really know the full navigation of the web site but I will Learn!  Is there a way to block members you do not really want to hear from in the future.

Thanks,

HEH

16 minutes ago, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

Is there a way to block members you do not really want to hear from in the future.

Thanks,

HEH

Yes, there is a way to "ignore" members of your choice. Simply place your cursor over their name at the top left of a post. A window will come up that has the name, when they joined the SASS wire, the last time they visited, amount of posts, etc., etc. At the bottom of that window is three boxes; Message, find content and ignore. Click ignore. You will no longer see the person's comments...for the most part.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:05 PM, Griff said:

Unless you're the Match Director or a Posse Leader, or are carrying for a family.

33 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Unless you're ... carrying for a family.

Been there, done that!  Thankfully I was younger then and there were only 3 of us!  This was before there were seemingly more guncarts than registered shooters!  

Hawk Eyes, I would suggest to not be too quick to "ignore" certain folks.  On the Wire, there is lots of hijacking and lots of opinions, and you might miss out on some good info.  On the other hand, after you've been here a while, feel free to ignore "repeat offenders".  :)

BTW, you might want to include a ramp for easier loading into your truck or van. 

On 9/5/2022 at 1:05 PM, Griff said:

Could you please show us photos of your doing this ?

11 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Could you please show us photos of your doing this ?

Wished I could, my wife didn't take photos, and her hands as well as mine, were full!

I think she's beautiful and I bet you are prouder of her than any store-bought version.  I suggest 'War Horse' because she's going to carry you through anything! 

I built mine and no, version 1.0 wasn't perfect.  Just like a fighting position, it is never done. (You old soldiers know what that mean.)

I just keep "improving" my cart.  I am on version 4.0 and doubt I will ever be done.

I do not have pictures of me building the monstrosity but I did.  The top only folds open so as if I drop anything to the bottom I might retrieve it without taking the whole damn wagon apart.  I should be almost finished by my first meet @ Gunsmoke Columbus, TX by this next weekend.  It was built for family.  I have two teenagers whom I hope might join me in my endeavors.  My Squaw thinks I am Touch the Clouds, crazy.  That is my Oklahoma name where I am originally from.  He was a great warrior.  Momma always claimed she had no indian but Grandpa and her and the other kids had some high cheekbones and other shared characteristics from that Indian Nation.  Getting Excited for the first stage.  Maybe, "Conestoga".

Well Outlaw's and Ladies, I am getting closer to finally finishing my first SASS ready gun cart.  I was asked to take a picture of it folded over and asked if I had a picture of me working on it.  I also included the original design schematic,  Ha!   I am finishing the anti tilt device for when the box is empty or lightweight and only the guns is loaded.  The only thing I have left to do is add the handle which is also going to sub as an umbrella holder.  I look forward to meeting, what I believe to be people who are like minded and aligned with my values.  Our country relies on the strong willed and determined folks that I know you and I are.  I hope you enjoy the pictures,   I am sure I will enjoy all of you and the suspense that Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS will bring to me.  Happy Trails!

IMG-1717.jpg

IMG-1715.jpg

Archived