SASS Wire Forum

had to surrender my drivers license just to look

Trigger Mike

I went to a sporting goods store called dunhams for the first time ever yesterday.  They sell everything from golf to camping to football and hunting and guns.  They had a Beretta 1301 12 gauge semiautomatic in stainless, that I have been curious about for over a year.  I wanted to hold one to see if it was worthwhile thinking about any more.  I asked the clerk to se it and he said I had to give him my drivers license first.  He put my license where the gun had been in the closed cabinet.  I told him, i'd have to be awful fast to get out the door with it from back here.  He didn't seem to care.  Nor did he look at my license to see if it was really me.  Seemed odd.  

I held the shotgun, shouldered it.  it sits perfect.  It seemed better than I imagined and better than the similar mossberg I have held.  It did not follow me home.  My main goal for being there was to see their weight lifting equipment.  I bought a pair of 20 pound dumbbells.  my son wanted me to buy a set that used pullies and allowed several exercises.  I usually do not buy without research so will go back later.  I signed up for their club so I have 17% off next time I go.

I was in this one sporting goods store and I noticed they had a sign at the gun counter that said you had to hand over your driver's license before you could look at a gun.

I asked the reasoning behind that.

The guy at the counter told me that it was to cut down on the looky-loos finger banging the guns that they could not buy. If you did not have a driver's license it said you were 18, they would not let you look at a rifle or shotgun. You couldn't buy it, so why look at it. By the same token, if you weren't 21 they would not let you look at a pistol. There are some states that will not allow you to buy a gun in Florida - California immediately pops to mind. So if you gave them a driver's license from one of the states - and they have a list - they would know that you could not buy the gun so why would they let you handle it, and maybe drop it and ding it?

i want to think about which version I want.  I think it is the height of stupidity though that the proposed assault weapon ban says the 1301 with 5 rounds is fine but the one that holds 6 rounds or has the pistol grip would be on the list.  

recently in the twin cities here they had a guy ask to see one - ran to another department and ;loaded it with his own ammo and shot himself , i think it was a prudent thing on the staffs behalf even tho your not that guy 

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

recently in the twin cities here they had a guy ask to see one - ran to another department and ;loaded it with his own ammo and shot himself , i think it was a prudent thing on the staffs behalf even tho your not that guy 

So I ask to see a gun, and I give them my driver's license, and they give me the gun, and I run over to home furnishings and load the gun and shoot myself.

Exactly how was giving them my driver's license helpful? They know who the dead guy in home furnishings is, but the cops would look through my wallet after they got there anyhow.

I don't get your point.

13 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

It’s as logical as the store that requires the manager to carry the gun you just bought out of the store, even though he knows you’re carrying  a concealed handgun.

They did that to me in Walmart the one time I bought a gun there.  

There is a Dunhams near me. I haven’t gone in there yet to see what they have. 

Every indoor range I go to takes your ID while you use the range. Probably to ensure you’ll come back to pay at the end. 

Twice I have been in gun stores that wanted your ID to handle firearms. 
Once in a store in California about 25 years ago. Once in the Gun Library at Cabela’s in Oregon when it first opened. The clerk thought it was a good idea. His boss didn’t and his mistake was corrected. 

I am not sure I like the idea of a store taking my ID. I would have no objections to showing it to them, but taking possession of it? I am not to sure about that. I think a lot would depend on their attitude. 

It may be that the store had someone snatch and run. That might be the reason for it. 

Then you have Bass Pro / Cabela’s that will not take a trigger lock off of a gun to allow you to get the feel of it. To me that is more idiotic than wanting your ID. 

59 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not sure I like the idea of a store taking my ID

I no longer take mine out of my wallet. Actually I don't show it to people anymore, but when I did I would not remove it from my wallet. I was in a liquor store one time and they wanted to see my ID. I was about 60. Buuuuut, "store rules". I gave them my driver's license and they swiped it. They didn't look to see what my birthday was - they swiped the magnetic strip.

Not gonna happen no more.

I was in a bank one time, cashing a check. It was not my bank, but it was the bank the check was drawn on. I had discovered that you actually got money when you went there. If you cash it at your bank it sometimes takes a week before the money's there, and sometimes during that week the money disappears. So you go cash the check at their bank.

And they needed to see my ID. That made sense. And they took my driver's license and took it and the check and put them on the scanner and photoed them into their computer system.

Never went back to that bank.

I keep a pdf copy of my driver license with everything but my name, address and date of birth redacted.  That's what anyone other than a cop gets when they want to see it.

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

Gun stores are taking a lot of criticism in today's world, so they have developed procedures that, in their estimation, allow them to continue selling their wares.   The incident Kid mentioned is not the first time someone did that.  Many years ago (at least 60) when Abercrombie & Fitch was a high end store with one location on 5th Avenue in NYC, a person walked in to the gun room (an amazing collection of mostly sporting firearms) loaded a rifle and killed himself.  That was the last time firearms were sold in that store. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...Then you have Bass Pro / Cabela’s that will not take a trigger lock off of a gun to allow you to get the feel of it. To me that is more idiotic than wanting your ID. 

The local BassPro/Cabela's did remove the trigger lock for me after I asked to try the action on a revolver. They have a protocol for this of late. It helped me make the decision to buy, obviously. 

44 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

The local BassPro/Cabela's did remove the trigger lock for me after I asked to try the action on a revolver. They have a protocol for this of late. It helped me make the decision to buy, obviously. 

That is good to know. Thanks. 

I passed on a couple of revolvers in the Cabela’s gun library in Oregon right after BPS bought them out. They wouldn’t remove the lock. I wouldn’t remove my wallet. 

I am heading to BPS today just to look around. It’s raining. Not much else to do.
I may just ask about their gun lock policy if I get a chance. 

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

i want to think about which version I want.  I think it is the height of stupidity though that the proposed assault weapon ban says the 1301 with 5 rounds is fine but the one that holds 6 rounds or has the pistol grip would be on the list.  

I personally don’t care for the pistol grip but I do like the more angled grip of the Magpul buttstock, plus it has spacers to adjust lop . That way I can make it short enough to work for my wife. And I actually like the short stock for a self defense sg . As far as any pending legislation goes, I’m going to buy what I want and deal with that later. It’s also my understanding that according to the current wording anything you already have would be grandfathered which means it just made anything that holds more boolets worth more money. Like the last time Brandon infringed on all our rights. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself again. Although this time I have lots of standard capacity mags. Gotta love that bulk pricing on P mags  

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

There are some states that will not allow you to buy a gun in Florida - California immediately pops to mind. So if you gave them a driver's license from one of the states - and they have a list - they would know that you could not buy the gun so why would they let you handle it, and maybe drop it and ding it?

I did not know that.

Yeah. California will not let their residents buy a gun in any other state. And they will not let residents of any other state buy a gun in California.

The federal law says you can buy a long gun in any state, as long as it is not illegal in the state you're in, or your state of residence. So California's "you can't do that" law trumps the feds.

You recall that GCA 68 said you could only buy a gun in states that touched your state - so Floridians could only buy out of state in Alabama or Georgia. FOPA86 did away with that, but some states still hold that regulation. So for example (and I don't know if Iowa still has that dumb law, which is why I'm using it simply as an example), even though FOPA says that Joe from Des Moines can buy a gun in Georgia, Iowa says that the only outa-state places he could buy a gun are Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota.

I try to buy my guns from individuals "off the books".   I can't always find what I want from individuals locally, but if I can avoid the 4473 legally, I will.   It's not that I'm paranoid or anything.....

P.S.  Buying guns from individuals in Georgia is perfectly legal without going through a FFL.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yeah. California will not let their residents buy a gun in any other state. And they will not let residents of any other state buy a gun in California.

The federal law says you can buy a long gun in any state, as long as it is not illegal in the state you're in, or your state of residence. So California's "you can't do that" law trumps the feds.

You recall that GCA 68 said you could only buy a gun in states that touched your state - so Floridians could only buy out of state in Alabama or Georgia. FOPA86 did away with that, but some states still hold that regulation. So for example (and I don't know if Iowa still has that dumb law, which is why I'm using it simply as an example), even though FOPA says that Joe from Des Moines can buy a gun in Georgia, Iowa says that the only outa-state places he could buy a gun are Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska and South Dakota.

I can buy a gun in another state but I have to have it shipped to an FFL in California for the transfer and 10 day wait. I’ve bought a number of guns from Barleycorn and it worked out well. I’ve bought from dealers on GB and they had no problem shipping to a local FFL.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I try to buy my guns from individuals "off the books".   I can't always find what I want from individuals locally, but if I can avoid the 4473 legally, I will.   It's not that I'm paranoid or anything.....

P.S.  Buying guns from individuals in Georgia is perfectly legal without going through a FFL.

Never forget that Georgia, Florida and many other free States are only one voting cycle from it being illegal.

52 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I can buy a gun in another state but I have to have it shipped to an FFL in California for the transfer and 10 day wait. I’ve bought a number of guns from Barleycorn and it worked out well. I’ve bought from dealers on GB and they had no problem shipping to a local FFL.

That's not "buying in another state". They ship it to California and you do the paperwork through a California FFL. You are buying it in California.

Buying it in another state would be like if you went to Nevada and walked into a gun store and said "oh I like that here's money let me fill out the 4473 and take it with me".

The federal government says you can do that. California says you can't.

So like I said, people in California cannot buy a gun in another state. It has to come into California and go through California BS. They require you to buy it in California.

Now I can find a gun in California, and pay for it and have them ship it to a FFL in Florida. But that's not buying it in California. Buying it in California would be going to a big cowboy match, and breaking my shotgun, and going down to the local gun store and buying a replacement so I can finish the match.

Can't do that. It's against the law in California.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

P.S.  Buying guns from individuals in Georgia is perfectly legal without going through a FFL

It's perfectly legal for you, who are a resident of the state of Georgia. It is not legal at all for me, who is a resident of the State of Florida. I can buy a gun - I can buy a long gun - from an FFL in Georgia, bug not from an individual.

And that's the point of this - legally buying a gun out of state. Where you can and where you cannot.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's not "buying in another state". They ship it to California and you do the paperwork through a California FFL. You are buying it in California.

Buying it in another state would be like if you went to Nevada and walked into a gun store and said "oh I like that here's money let me fill out the 4473 and take it with me".

The federal government says you can do that. California says you can't.

So like I said, people in California cannot buy a gun in another state. It has to come into California and go through California BS. They require you to buy it in California.

Now I can find a gun in California, and pay for it and have them ship it to a FFL in Florida. But that's not buying it in California. Buying it in California would be going to a big cowboy match, and breaking my shotgun, and going down to the local gun store and buying a replacement so I can finish the match.

Can't do that. It's against the law in California.

I can tell you that if you go to any state surrounding CA and whip out your license to buy a long gun they immediately respond with “Oh hell no!”. They don’t want the hassle in case there’s a problem. 

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I went to BPS today. I didn’t think about it being Labor Day and they had a hunting sale going on. I didn’t even bother trying to get close to that gun counter. :lol:

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

.…And they needed to see my ID. That made sense. And they took my driver's license and took it and the check and put them on the scanner and photoed them into their computer system.…

Local Credit Union, new Tellers would ask for ID.  As the Teller was punching at her keyboard I got my Driver’s License ready.  She looked at her computer screen and then told me she didn’t need it because the have it on file!?!?

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can tell you that if you go to any state surrounding CA and whip out your license to buy a long gun they immediately respond with “Oh hell no!”. They don’t want the hassle in case there’s a problem. 

I bought a gun in Arizona a couple of months ago and provided them with my California FFL information and they were happy to take my money. I got the gun from my FFL about 18 days later.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:17 AM, Alpo said:

So I ask to see a gun, and I give them my driver's license, and they give me the gun, and I run over to home furnishings and load the gun and shoot myself.

Exactly how was giving them my driver's license helpful? They know who the dead guy in home furnishings is, but the cops would look through my wallet after they got there anyhow.

I don't get your point.

i was adding a local story and not supporting the driver license , i agree surrendering your license - if you plan to kill yourself - would be no issue and thus no support to prevention , you cant fix stupid nor insane and you certainly cant escape either these days , sorry to sidetrack without a "point" , 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Gun stores are taking a lot of criticism in today's world, so they have developed procedures that, in their estimation, allow them to continue selling their wares.   The incident Kid mentioned is not the first time someone did that.  Many years ago (at least 60) when Abercrombie & Fitch was a high end store with one location on 5th Avenue in NYC, a person walked in to the gun room (an amazing collection of mostly sporting firearms) loaded a rifle and killed himself.  That was the last time firearms were sold in that store. 

isnt it sad that things like this happen - and furthermore that they end things we have become accustomed to , yet i wonder how many car dealerships that lost a car on a test drive have ceased to sell cars ? wonder if any resulted in suicide ? 

At Walmart recently at the self-checkout (only because there was a parade of strollers at the cashier operated check outs) some item that used to be innocuous now requires age verification.

I scan the item and the screen says VERIFY AGE, and the little light over the lane starts blinking.

A Walmart employee comes over and swipes his card, the screen then says, IS THE CUSTOMER OVER 40 YEARS OLD?

Young man did not blink and hit YES almost immediately. Wow.

No second glance, head to toe visual sweep, or ID request.

Thanks kid!:rolleyes:

40??? What the heck were you buying?

And on a similar note, I checked out at the cigarette counter this afternoon, and I saw the sign about age, and it said you had to be 21 to buy cigarettes. When did that happen? Used to be 18.

Archived