SASS Wire Forum

Mixing semi and revolvers

Rye Miles #13621

When you go to the range or wherever your shoot, do you mix semi autos and revolvers or do you stay with the same?

Just curious…….:)

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you have it, practice with it.

Yea I get that but does going from a semi auto say in .45 to a revolver in .38/.357 mess you up when target shooting?

I seem to do better when I stick with one type. Maybe it’s just me :blink:

You have cas guns to compete with.

Practice with them.

Do you have  guns for protection other than cas guns?

Take them and practice with them as well.

If you are not familiar with your protection gun, it will not help you when you need it most.

In a hurry and most likely in the dark.

2 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

You have cas guns to compete with.

Practice with them.

Do you have  guns for protection other than cas guns?

Take them and practice with them as well.

If you are not familiar with your protection gun, it will not help you when you need it most.

In a hurry and most likely in the dark.

I get all that and I do practice with my cowboy guns and my house guns but I just wondered if mixing a semi and a revolver kinda throws you off? 

Apples and oranges - though either will do in a pinch,  Ex the Coach gun (very rarely), no cowboy guns have worst case home defense duty.  1911 and on from there.  After enough decades, you will do what you need with whatever you put your hand on.

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Apples and oranges - though either will do in a pinch,  Ex the Coach gun (very rarely), no cowboy guns have worst case home defense duty.  1911 and on from there.  After enough decades, you will do what you need with whatever you put your hand on.

Thanks for replying but I’ve been shooting for decades. I have semi autos and revolvers but my question was simple. When you go the range for a shooting session do you shoot all semis or all revolvers? I seem to do better when I stick with one of the other as far as target shooting.

There is a game I invented. It requires at least two people and at least five different guns. And some knock-downable targets.

You load all the guns with five rounds. Then you decide who will go first. The first guy picks up a gun - his choice - and shoots at a target. If it does not go down, he hands you the gun and you shoot at it. Each shooter gets one shot and then he passes the gun. When the gun is dry, the next shooter chooses the next gun. If you have two shooters, the most you will get to shoot is three rounds before the gun is empty and you go to a different gun.

To really make this fun you have drastically different guns. Single action revolvers, double action revolvers, single action autos, double action autos, 22s, 38s, 44s. Mouse guns, giant guns.

That picture I posted would do great for the game. There's a 22 and a 25 and a 380 and a 9 mm and a 40 and a 45. There's four single action automatics and two double action. Full size 1911 and itty bitty 25. There's a J frame 38 and there's a super Redhawk 454, K frame 357, L frame 44, N frame 45. Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum, SAA 45, Webley 45, Smith and Wesson top break 44 Russian.

You get good at the game, and you get to the point where it doesn't matter what you pick up, you can hit with it.

I mostly shoot at one of my own ranges on my Ranch, though I'm fairly active in the Shooting Club which has an excellent range.  I tend to do themes, SAA, DA, 1911, other Auto and the same with rifles.  Haven't shot Bullseye since before I moved to Montana.

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea I get that but does going from a semi auto say in .45 to a revolver in .38/.357 mess you up when target shooting?

I seem to do better when I stick with one type. Maybe it’s just me :blink:

Mix. 

And always do strong hand unsupported, weak hand unsupported, strong hand supported, weak hand supported.  

When I go to the range I am always alone. I usually take either revolvers or semiautos. I usually don’t take both types. The same goes for SA and DA revolvers. I take one kind or the other unless I am just shooting .45 Colt then I take my S&W 25 and my Vaqueros. 

Now that I have a semiauto .22 I will probably be taking the CP33 along with my 2 S&W .22 revolvers. 

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There is a game I invented. It requires at least two people and at least five different guns. And some knock-downable targets.

You load all the guns with five rounds. Then you decide who will go first. The first guy picks up a gun - his choice - and shoots at a target. If it does not go down, he hands you the gun and you shoot at it. Each shooter gets one shot and then he passes the gun. When the gun is dry, the next shooter chooses the next gun. If you have two shooters, the most you will get to shoot is three rounds before the gun is empty and you go to a different gun.

To really make this fun you have drastically different guns. Single action revolvers, double action revolvers, single action autos, double action autos, 22s, 38s, 44s. Mouse guns, giant guns.

That picture I posted would do great for the game. There's a 22 and a 25 and a 380 and a 9 mm and a 40 and a 45. There's four single action automatics and two double action. Full size 1911 and itty bitty 25. There's a J frame 38 and there's a super Redhawk 454, K frame 357, L frame 44, N frame 45. Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum, SAA 45, Webley 45, Smith and Wesson top break 44 Russian.

You get good at the game, and you get to the point where it doesn't matter what you pick up, you can hit with it.

I like your game Alpo. Sounds like fun. :)

There are times I have “theme” trips to the range. All BP long range rifles, all 22’s, and sometimes all cowboy era guns. But most times, I take whatever I want to shoot that day. I love shooting everything I have so it can be an eclectic mix on the table at the range when I go.  Having different styles of guns with me does not cause any issues as far as practice.  

I haven’t shot my 1911 in awhile, I think I’ll go all semiauto tomorrow. 1911, Shield and my Ruger .22 

Thanks for the replies!

I can mix or match.  I usually am going for a specific competition when i go to the range.  So, I'm bringing whatever gun(s) I plan on competing with.  

At my house, I'll usually bring them out one at a time, then go back in and get another.  I can shoot out to about 50 yards in the back yard, and sometimes shoot 10 or 12 different guns in an afternoon.  

That said, for years I carried a 1911 on my hip and a 640 revolver on my ankle.  

Alpo,  In your game, do you pass back and forth loaded, cocked semis?  Doing that safely seems like a challenge. 

Undivided attention to muzzle direction would be about the only safety buffer.  I am curious how that works. 

Yes I do. You put the safety on, you take your finger off the trigger, the gun won't fire. You don't turn around and point the muzzle at the other guy. 

There was a fella, years back. Hunting editor, I believe he was, for Shooting Times. And he explained, time after time after time through the years, about why he did not hunt with a semi-automatic firearm. Once you made your shot you had to then remove the magazine, and then eject the shell that's in the chamber, and load that shell back into the magazine, and then put that magazine back up in the gun, before the gun was safe to carry. Having a loaded cocked gun with the safety on with just too dangerous to even consider. The only safe way to carry a gun was with an empty chamber.

Some people take safety too far.

The game sounds like good fun, but I think I'll respectfully pass.  I guess I've just been on too many teams investigating accidents where either "unloaded" guns or guns "thought to be placed on mechanical safety", injured or killed family members while hunting. Most of those accidents occurred when guns were either dropped, or passed between people, or during loading or removing firearms from vehicles. Human error becomes very real in cases like those. 

Maybe I just "take safety too far", but I don't fully trust my arthritic hands as much these days (or anybody else's hands or mental attentiveness).  

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yes I do. You put the safety on, you take your finger off the trigger, the gun won't fire. You don't turn around and point the muzzle at the other guy. 

There was a fella, years back. Hunting editor, I believe he was, for Shooting Times. And he explained, time after time after time through the years, about why he did not hunt with a semi-automatic firearm. Once you made your shot you had to then remove the magazine, and then eject the shell that's in the chamber, and load that shell back into the magazine, and then put that magazine back up in the gun, before the gun was safe to carry. Having a loaded cocked gun with the safety on with just too dangerous to even consider. The only safe way to carry a gun was with an empty chamber.

Some people take safety too far.

I'd rather people take safety too far than not far enough!;)

Just packed up about 200 rounds of .38 spl, shooting my S&W Model 19, 37 and my Colt King Cobra. 

Apparently it's DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER day. Changed my mind on the semi auto day!:P

Have a nice Labor Day!:FlagAm:

I go to the range several times each week, setting up our club matches and doing general volunteer work.  A lot of days, I take a few guns to shoot after the work is done.  I mix and match them according to whim. 

I like shooting, and it doesn't really matter to me which guns, or kinds of guns, I shoot.  If I have the ammo, I shoot whatever it fits in as often as I can.  

Archived