SASS Wire Forum

Who remembers Longshot Logan?

Howdy

Longshot Logan was a character. Sometimes he would bring his banjo to matches and entertain us while waiting to shoot.

He posted a very good series of articles about refinishing guns.

Logan passed away quite suddenly a number of years ago.

Does anybody remember exactly when he passed?

Thanks.

He was an early user of Photoshop and posted some really humerous photos.  My favorite was one title birdshead grip.  A gun with a real bird's head for a grip.  I wish I had a copy of that photo.

I never met him, but learned a great deal from his articles on antiquing revolvers and refinishing gunstocks.
He was a good one and his skills and sharing are appreciated & missed.

--Dawg

Although I never met him, I remember that I made it a point to always read his post.

And his Avatar was a classic.    Regardless of how bad a day I was having, just looking at his Avatar made me feel blessed..... if you

know what I mean.

..........Widder

It may be saved elsewhere as well, but his buttstock refinishing article that was at the Open Range now redirects to here:

https://gungiveaways.com/1873-uberti-shoulder-stock-refinishing/

Never mentions his name, though.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

It may be saved elsewhere as well, but his buttstock refinishing article that was at the Open Range now redirects to here:

https://gungiveaways.com/1873-uberti-shoulder-stock-refinishing/

Never mentions his name, though.

His refinishing article is posted here too with credit:  http://wolffsrowdyrangers.com/styled-4/

He died less than a year after I got into this game.   I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but heard a lot of good things about him before he passed.

I did go to a shoot not long after he died that was held in his honor.   We gave him a 21 shotgun salute, and on every stage, one of the targets had the picture he used for his ID on it.   You were supposed to intentionally miss that target.   Missing it was a hit, hitting it was a miss.

I do, I even got to shoot a match at the Tri-State on the same posse one year.  Exceptionally dry sense of humor, to the point one wasn't always sure if he was joking or not.  Definitely a character and definitely missed.

I shot with Long Shot a number of times in Rhode Island, he was a great guy, he published instructions on how to refinish a Uberti gunstock and turn it back to the way the Winchesters were finished in the day. He did an inlay of a set of lightening bolts on my USFA Lightening rifle which I still have. He was one to ride the range with.

TB

Gone too soon! I’d been on the wire a little over a year when he was taken from us.  

He made my day on several occasions and I still think of him often, and I usually laugh my @ss off when I do!!!

On 9/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Although I never met him, I remember that I made it a point to always read his post.

And his Avatar was a classic.    Regardless of how bad a day I was having, just looking at his Avatar made me feel blessed..... if you

know what I mean.

..........Widder

Screen Shot 09-07-22 at 04.06 PM.PNG

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Longshot Logan was a hoot on the wire.  Anyone remember the LL Sweep?  9 shots on steel, one in the dirt.  I loved that sweep.

Yes, after he passed we shot a memorial match for him at his home club.  One stage was the "Longshot Logan sweep": 

5 targets sweep left to right then right to left were the usual instructions. 

For the Longshot Logan Sweep it was sweep all targets left to right, then put one on 4, mutter a swear word, dump one in the dirt then shoot target 2 then 1 twice for 10 rounds.  

Made for some confused spotters as the shot on three was a hit as long as it missed the target, a hit on steel with  he 7th round was a miss.  

I should dust that one off for a monthly

Of course there was the time he showed up for the SASS New England Regional on Saturday morning. 

Unfortunately the actual days of the main match were Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday and Sunday.

Archived