SASS Wire Forum

“Shrinking” a Stetson

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Just got a black Stetson off the Classifieds section 7 5/8 size thinking my son’s head size was the same size as me and find out a 7 1/2 would be better. Do I keep looking for 7 1/2 and keep the one for myself or is there a method to shrink it?  

There are actually ready made ones that fit inside the sweat band, but DIY is pretty easy.  A post on the Lone Ranger mentioned that they used surgical tubing to keep hats on during fight scenes.  First I heard of that, but it might work well.

I use felt strips inside the sweat band. Works great.

Thank you all gentlemen!  I will look into it!  

41 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

There are actually ready made ones that fit inside the sweat band, but DIY is pretty easy.  A post on the Lone Ranger mentioned that they used surgical tubing to keep hats on during fight scenes.  First I heard of that, but it might work well.

Where do I find the ready made ones?

I fold a paper towel into 1.5” strip that fits inside hatband 

14 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Thank you all gentlemen!  I will look into it!  

Where do I find the ready made ones?

Cant recall the exact shop, but any Western Hat Shop should have them.  A sponge and elastic sports sweat band might do the trick.  Here is one i found online (never used it) https://www.hatsunlimited.com/hat-sizing-tape/

If you use the "fuzzy" side of a velcro strip behind the sweatband, it will take up the space and still circulate air. Find the stuff with the sticky backside to keep it in place.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I fold a paper towel into 1.5” strip that fits inside hatband 

This ^^^^^^^^

I have seen some thin foam strips at a hat shop that they use for size adjustment.  As I remember the strips were about 6 or 8 inches long.  As far as the "fuzzy side of Velcro" It would probably work.  I have a little bit of it that is 1 1/2 inch wide.  If you would like a piece of it just pm me your address and I will drop you a piece in the mail.  

Blackfoot  

I have had Stetsons shrink up a 1/4" on hat size just leaving them in a hot truck for a day.  I've quit doing that by accident, I hope.

If you try this, check every 4 hours for correct fit.

good luck, GJ

i cut a couple thicknesses of double stick carpet tape to slip behind the inside hat band on mine , worked like a charm and has worn well for nearly 20 years not , it stays put really well 

1/2” wide weather strip works well and lasts forever.  It’s soft enough to cushion the sweat band so that it’s not uncomfortable. You can add more if the hat isn’t tight enough or take out just a little if it’s too tight. It has a light adhesive on one side so it stays put.

Just turn the sweat band down, (inside out) and put an equal amount on either side or front and back as needed. Place it as close as possible to the seam where the band is sewn into the hat. Then flip the sweat band back into the hat.

It’s moisture proof too!  Won’t break down if it gets wet and doesn’t hold moisture either!

Archived