SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873

Delcho Kidd

Delcho Kidd here sass#112687 very new to this so bare with me. Got a Uberti 1873 .45LC it’s a new gun. But I’m having problems after each shot cycling action keeps hanging up. Will a tune and or having it short stroked fix my problem? Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Delcho,

Having a reputable cowboy gunsmith work it over will certainly help.  I would have a shortstroke kit (my preference would be Cowboys and Indians 5th generation) installed at the same time.  

I would not purchase a shortstroke kit and install it without smithing.  That 'might' solve the problem, but could very well cause other issues.  SS kits aren't typically 'drop in' and require some fitting and some spring work.   

OTH, your problem could be as simple as having the wrong OAL of your rounds.  If your rounds are too short, they may allow too much of the following round to protrude onto the carrier causing it to bind.  You might be out of time and your bolt and carrier may be interfering with each other. 

Where are you located?

What exactly does "hanging up" mean to you? Might help us a bit.

Delcho Kidd has not gotten back to us with the OAL (over all length) of his cartridges, so perhaps he doesn't have a caliber to measure.  It is hard to make a 45 Colt too short for the toggle link action, but it could be done if it had a very short stubby bullet.  A 45 Colt that is too long would be more likely.  It needs to be no more than 1.6", preferably say 1.58" or less.  But you can test your ammo easily by opening the lever so the carrier rises, flip rifle over, and see if your cartridge can fit into the mortice (carrier opening) in the frame.  If it is too long to fit, that is the problem.  If it fits, then you have ruled out ammo being too long.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Delcho Kidd has not gotten back to us with the OAL (over all length) of his cartridges, so perhaps he doesn't have a caliber to measure.  It is hard to make a 45 Colt too short for the toggle link action, but it could be done if it had a very short stubby bullet.  A 45 Colt that is too long would be more likely.  It needs to be no more than 1.6", preferably say 1.58" or less.  But you can test your ammo easily by opening the lever so the carrier rises, flip rifle over, and see if your cartridge can fit into the mortice (carrier opening) in the frame.  If it is too long to fit, that is the problem.  If it fits, then you have ruled out ammo being too long.

Unless one is extremely lucky (unlucky?), and only the first round was correct OAL, ammo too long would hang up cycling thru the action before the first shot... don't ask how I know this.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:26 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hi Delcho,

Having a reputable cowboy gunsmith work it over will certainly help.  I would have a shortstroke kit (my preference would be Cowboys and Indians 5th generation) installed at the same time.  

I would not purchase a shortstroke kit and install it without smithing.  That 'might' solve the problem, but could very well cause other issues.  SS kits aren't typically 'drop in' and require some fitting and some spring work.   

OTH, your problem could be as simple as having the wrong OAL of your rounds.  If your rounds are too short, they may allow too much of the following round to protrude onto the carrier causing it to bind.  You might be out of time and your bolt and carrier may be interfering with each other. 

Where are you located?

Hey Capt. I’m out of Louisiana just joined sass and looking forward to shooting my first match. Trying to work out as many kinks as possible before the end of the month. Those issues you pointed out makes sense. I’m definitely going to SS it got to locate a good smith. Also Fiocchi range ammo I am using I noticed the gap between nose and chamber. I’m hoping to reload some rounds to solve that issue. Any ideas and tips are much needed. Thanks

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Sorry it took so long to get back. My aol is 1.55 on factory ammo. I am going reload once I gather enough brass I’m trying to get ready for my first match and I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

4 minutes ago, Delcho Kidd said:

Sorry it took so long to get back. My aol is 1.55 on factory ammo. I am going reload once I gather enough brass I’m trying to get ready for my first match and I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Okay, that's good to know.  We can probably rule out an ammo length issue, although we're still not sure exactly what is happening when you say it jams after firing.  Does that mean it is hard to open the lever after firing or it ejects okay but then hard to close the lever to chamber next round?

Kidd you are new to the sport and to the site.  But, when you ask a tech question you have to give some specifics and if possible post some photos.  A question like "my car is running badly, any suggestions" isn't going to get good results.

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Okay, that's good to know.  We can probably rule out an ammo length issue, although we're still not sure exactly what is happening when you say it jams after firing.  Does that mean it is hard to open the lever after firing or it ejects okay but then hard to close the lever to chamber next round?

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hard to close after fire and chamber next round it is hitting the nose of the round and pushing it back into the casing

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Kidd you are new to the sport and to the site.  But, when you ask a tech question you have to give some specifics and if possible post some photos.  A question like "my car is running badly, any suggestions" isn't going to get good results.

Yes sir trying to figure out how to navigate through the site and learn as much as I can along the way 

Just now, Delcho Kidd said:

Hard to close after fire and chamber next round it is hitting the nose of the round and pushing it back into the casing

Now we're getting somewhere!  Sounds like ammo certainly does not have a good crimp, for starters.  It could also be bullet shape is involved in the nose not properly entering chamber.  Or it could be that the brass carrier (lifter) is rising too high or not high enough for the bullet to enter the chamber.   Shouldn't happen on a new rifle, but could be.  Try pushing up on the carrier from underneath while closing the lever to see if that helps (that would indicate the carrier is not rising high enough).

Thank you I will try that. Tomorrow when I practice if this issue happens again I will take some pics and hopefully that will she’s some better light on what is happening. Thank you all again

Find a local club, call contact. Ask for some help! Go to match even if you don’t have all the gear and don’t feel “ready to shoot” they will take care of you b

Second Hoss.

The best thing would be to just go to a match and ask someone for help after the match. There will almost for sure be an experience cowboy that can watch you shoot it and then take a look and either be able to fix it on-site or recommend what/who you need to do/fix it.

Where in Texas are you? Several people responding are also from Texas clubs.

The toggle link levers have their nuances. If the gun is new, it needs to be taken apart and lube applied to the major friction points. The carrier is brass, it should be clean and dry, no lube. Where it rides in the action should also be clean and dry. Most come from the factory with too little clearance on the sides. I narrow mine a bit, emery on a flat surface. 0.005" is too tight, too loose is well beyond that. I shoot for 0.010 to 0.015" rattle. Lever closed, empty gun, you should be able to push up on the carrier and it should spring back to normal. 

Given your ammo issue, that needs to be right first. 

Big learning curve on the toggles, I started with a ladle busting '66 in 38 Spl. It took a bit of learning to get it dialed. It runs well now, and doesn't need much maintenance. 

I've bought a few used, and the ones that weren't lubed when new, have significant wear on the tips of the springs and ramps of the lever. I had to replace one lever and a couple sets of springs. I just use the stock ones, with a bit of blueprinting. 

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/technical-info

528283031_4440leevslyman.thumb.jpg.8ecef88d087fd0b5ccb4531eb02624df.jpg

Those are 44-40, but it gives you an idea what the bullet should be shaped like. Flat meplat, gentle slope ogive and a crimp that passes the fingernail test. 

BTW, a '73 Uberti in 45 Colt will feed 45 S&W Schofield ammo at 1.4". One in 38 Spl, likes ammo a bit longer. Too close to 1.6" is asking for issues. 

BB 

Archived