SASS Wire Forum

shotgun external hammers

Sleepy Floyd

Floyd, as you peruse those comparison photos, please note the two little protrusions at the top front of the Cimarron.  Those  little protrusions, as the gun comes out of the box are actually MEAT SLICERS and will open your hand up like a stuck pig.  Those MUST be carefully dulled or filed smooth.

37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Floyd, as you peruse those comparison photos, please note the two little protrusions at the top front of the Cimarron.  Those  little protrusions, as the gun comes out of the box are actually MEAT SLICERS and will open your hand up like a stuck pig.  Those MUST be carefully dulled or filed smooth.

That is, IF you cock the hammers with a sweep of the palm of your hand.   They are still sharp on my two TTN's but then I cock them one at a time with my thumb as I am reloading.  

One thing the photos do not show is the distance between the hammers.  The 1878 is popular because the hammers are close together and many people cock both hammers at the same time.

I have a TTN, the “new” Cinmaron and a CZ. 

I cock both hammers with my right thumb. 

I like the TTN just fine. But for me the hammers are a bit to close. I feel like I loose perifial vision. 

The Cimmaron I have used only at a couple of matches. It cocks and dumps good. It is a good shotgun in my opinion but… the wrist is to small for my liking it just does not fit me. 

The CZ’s hammers are farther apart.  Fixes my perifial vision problem and I can still easily cock both hammers with my right thumb. The weight is good and it fits me better than the above shotguns. 

All of the 3 are how they came out of the box.. 

Howdy

Here are the hammers on my old Stevens Hammered Double.

poxHojcRj

Because of the placement of the hammers and the unlocking lever (or what ever its called) I cannot cock the hammers with the action open. I have to shut the action to cock the hammers. I am never in a hurry, I cock each hammer separately with my thumb.

po5zXaWFj

On 9/11/2022 at 5:31 AM, Kid Rich said:

The hammers on a CZ can be bent to be closer together.

kR

How much can they be bent without being considered an external modification? Picture?

Thanks

Randy

On 9/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, Kid Rich said:

The hammers on a CZ can be bent to be closer together.

kR

Do you have a reference to any documentation allowing that particular modification? 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That is, IF you cock the hammers with a sweep of the palm of your hand.   They are still sharp on my two TTN's but then I cock them one at a time with my thumb as I am reloading.  

I just reach with my right thumb and cock both hammers at the same time after I shuck the hulls.  Works for me.

Howdy shotgunners,

I shoot a Rossi, back up by a Liberty II and an old Belgian double. I sweep both hammers at once. None are as close together as the TTN. I have noticed that in addition to the closeness and shape of the hammers, the weight of the hammer springs makes a difference. 

Rev. Chase

Archived