SASS Wire Forum

Would the H&R Shikari be legal for long range?

Gunsmoke Gus

I assume 45-70? If so, and no receiver  sights would be ok. (Receiver sight considered sitting on top of cartridge in chamber as opposed to barrel) 

It is just a Handi Rifle gussied up to look like a muzzle loader.  As noted it is legal as long as a receiver sight is not used.  I have a fried that has two of them and they are nice for long range side matches and Plainsman.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, Hoss said:

I assume 45-70? If so, and no receiver  sights would be ok. (Receiver sight considered sitting on top of cartridge in chamber as opposed to barrel) 

The rear sight located on the barrel is legal no matter where the chamber may be.  It is the Williams Peep Sight which is illegal.

I believe the confusion comes from the wording from SASS.  It is not the location of the sight, at the rear of the barrel, but the type of sight, namely a Peep Sight which not allowed.

31 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

The rear sight located on the barrel is legal no matter where the chamber may be.  It is the Williams Peep Sight which is illegal.

I believe the confusion comes from the wording from SASS.  It is not the location of the sight, at the rear of the barrel, but the type of sight, namely a Peep Sight which not allowed.

Yes, not worded very well for sure. I know most of the book was likely written by volunteers, but sometimes the wording is inconsistent. 

I believe that your confusion might be caused by the fact that the receiver extends under the barrel's chamber area to the pivot point forward.  Just like a break open shotgun, the barrel chambers sit above a portion of the receiver, but are not a part of the receiver.  In the world of small arms, AFAIK, only a revolver has its' chambers separate from the barrel.  Even in a fixed barrel rifle (i.e. 1885, Sharps, Rolling Block), although the chamber portion of barrel is threaded into the receiver, but is not considered part of the receiver.  Although attaching a sight to that area of the receiver would still be considered illegal for SASS purposes.  While this would place that sight in the approximate relative location as the sight on the H&R, don't let that confuse you, SASS's wording is quite literal.  

The difference between the RECEIVER and the BARREL of a break-open long gun was explained and illustrated ad nauseum on a previous thread.

That thread was LOCKED due to the stubborn insistence of some individuals to refuse to accept the information presented.

The SASS rules are quite clear...there is no need for further clarification due to various individuals' MISInterpretation of FACTS.

Archived