SASS Wire Forum

The Real Lone Ranger

Just watched the movie compilation of the first few episodes of the The Lone Ranger TV show starring Clayton Moore.

It holds up remarkably well.   Yes, it's a little corny in places, but the story is well told, and it just works.   I maintain that with a minimal amount of "updating" that a remake of THIS story could work very well.   

In fact, that's what I think has made the recent remakes fail, they didn't tell this story.   They told something else disguised as it.

Don't forget Jay Silverheels, an authentic Mohawk which was unusual for that time period who was the glue that held the show together.

Who was the masked man?

40 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just watched the movie compilation of the first few episodes of the The Lone Ranger TV show starring Clayton Moore.

It holds up remarkably well.   Yes, it's a little corny in places, but the story is well told, and it just works.   I maintain that with a minimal amount of "updating" that a remake of THIS story could work very well.   

In fact, that's what I think has made the recent remakes fail, they didn't tell this story.   They told something else disguised as it.

What streaming service is it on? Or how can i find the movie compilation? 

Even when I was a kid I could not buy into the "good" guy wearing a mask idea.  These old westerns were super low budget pot boilers for the early days of TV when basically any show would draw an audience.  Now with virtually unlimited content from around the world aimed at the prime age group of 18 to 34 I don't think a half-dozen 70+ year old SASS shooters are much of an audience for a new show.

2 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Don't forget Jay Silverheels, an authentic Mohawk which was unusual for that time period who was the glue that held the show together.

Who was the masked man?

Clayton Moore, he was an actor that was in a few movies before he got the part and he made it his own, never appearing in public without the mask or oversized sunglasses.  I remember Jay Silverheels in the Captain of Castille with Tyrone power, filmed in Mexico during a live volcano eruption prior to The Lone Ranger as well.  I didn't watch the substitute actor that they had for a year and neither did anyone else as they got Clayton Moore back in.  Couldn't watch the remake with Johnny Depp as the Indian sidekick either, Growing up in the 50s and 60s was a different time, there were heroes on TV that you looked up to, not like today's stars, part of the problem with society.

55 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Even when I was a kid I could not buy into the "good" guy wearing a mask idea.  These old westerns were super low budget pot boilers for the early days of TV when basically any show would draw an audience.  Now with virtually unlimited content from around the world aimed at the prime age group of 18 to 34 I don't think a half-dozen 70+ year old SASS shooters are much of an audience for a new show.

Can't deny the fact that The Lone Ranger Clayton Moore series, has been continuously running in re-runs on many channels here and overseas. LR has never been off the air, since its first episode in 1949.  Stations that have dropped it had letters and phone calls to put it back on the air, and many did. There are still many Forums on Facebook dedicated to either the Lone Ranger, Tonto, or Clayton Moore. His daughter also is a member and contributes frequently to some of them.

23 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Couldn't watch the remake with Johnny Depp as the Indian sidekick

Don't forget the 1980's repop with Klinton Spilsbury.

images.thumb.jpeg.84f92a3b202a1732cd2168aef18e919f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't forget the 1980's repop with Klinton Spilsbury.

images.thumb.jpeg.84f92a3b202a1732cd2168aef18e919f.jpeg

A lot of LR fans are giving this version a 2nd look now. It started out with fans upset at Wrather suing for Mr Moore to remove his mask and stop going around portraying the LR in public. This hurt the movie. But it has many good qualities to it also. Scenes were LR and tonto knew each other at a younger age as children and separation to not be seen again till the Ranger massacre by Cavendish. This was a story line on radio and also in a comic book story. So for many it was a first time of hearing this. 

So this version is getting a revival and 2nd look by fans.

There aren't many that are fans of the Johnny Depp version and that WD was going to make a sequel if it suceeded. Many also have noted that Depp maybe responsible for killing any future endeavors  into another movie.

Many have written the white on Depp face comes from the bird pooping on him.

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I thought the Depp version was pure unadulterated, diamond studded, star spangled trash.  Just my opinion, but then I thought Gone With The Wind was a waste of time and celluloid, too.

I had a few dates with an absolutely beautiful Miss Virginia runner up.  Took her to a showing of Gone With The Wind.  I wasn't real smart back then, she cried and I cracked up. OOPS! I love when one of these threads kicks up something I haven't thought of in years!

44 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

PWB, is that you?

1233600_10201446303551234_465737674_n.jpg

Good eye! 

Yes, it is.  ;)

Banquet at Standoff at Smokey Point (2013)

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Clayton Moore as a bad guy in Shane.  In the credits he is listed as Rex Moore.

clayton-moore.jpg.optimal.jpg.7423d81aaf819b8cc574229591d3f8fd.jpg

With an empty gun.

I have Clayton Moore's book called, I Was That Masked Man.  A lot of good stories about  the filming of the series.  How they used to change into costume at a gas station washroom before catching the studio bus to take them to the filming site.  The two different Silvers, just a lot of neat behind the scenes stuff.  Did you ever wonder how they rolled down a hill or in a fist fight and their hat never fell off?  Hospital tubing inside the sweat band and then crammed onto their head.  A really good read.

Before the T.V. version with Moore, I listened to the radio show with Brace Beamer as the Lone Ranger.  I think Jay Silverheels did the voice of Tonto on the radio, too. IIRC, the radio version was a half-hour at 6:00 PM Monday, Wednesday and Friday,on WLS in Chicago.  I used to get real upset if my folks wanted to go out to eat or something and I'd miss the show. 

Also recently watched from start to finish "The Rifleman" and "Wanted Dead or Alive." Both held up fairly well, but there was clearly a pre-defined Grammar that the shows strictly adhered to that made the stories a bit repetitive.

Old enough to remember the family around the radio, a console about the size of a small jukebox.  Lone Ranger, Gangbusters, Green Hornet, Amos and Andy, Fibber Mc Gee & Molly and more I have forgot.  Magical because your brain filled in the visuals and all of the "special effects"

19 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Old enough to remember the family around the radio, a console about the size of a small jukebox.  Lone Ranger, Gangbusters, Green Hornet, Amos and Andy, Fibber Mc Gee & Molly and more I have forgot.  Magical because your brain filled in the visuals and all of the "special effects"

Yup. And then we got a 12” Zenith TV!

Archived