SASS Wire Forum

F/S Colt SAA 1st Gen. 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter W/Colt Letter Shipped 1907 Price Drop SOLD

Peacemaker Reb

Colt SAA Frontier Six Shooter 44-40. Colt letter included states; 295462, 44, 43/4"BBL.;Blue. Shipped to Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Chicago, Illinois, June22,1907, guns in shipment 25.

This Colt currently has Faux Ivory Grips by Ajax Co., the sale includes original Colt grips. Photos show both sets. Colt has all matching numbers, tight lock up, 4 Clicks on Hammer, safety notch on 

hammer is excellent, condition of bore would rate score of 8 with 10 being mint. This Colt is proofed for smokeless from Factory (See Proof Mark on Left Side Front of Trigger Guard). This Colt still retains some original Blue and outlines of case color. All Colt Stampings are very legible (Frontier Six Shooter, 2 Line BBL. Address, Cal. and Patent Dates).

Price is $3400.00 shipped to your FFL. Pls. send a PM with questions. Price drop $3400.00 Shipped

Thanks,

Reb

IMG_5274 FSS LS Full Iv.jpg

IMG_5275 CFSS RS Full Iv.jpg

IMG_5277 CFSS TG Proof Mk.jpg

IMG_5278 CFSS BBL Stamp.jpg

IMG_5279 CFSS LS CYL.jpg

IMG_5281 CFSS RS CYL FRAME.jpg

IMG_5283 CFSS GRIP BOT.jpg

IMG_5285 CFSS botm frame.jpg

IMG_5287 2 line address BBL.jpg

IMG_5244 RS Colt Blk grips.jpg

IMG_5242 LS colt orig grips.jpg

IMG_5247 Bak strp Colt blk grips.jpg

• Peacemaker Reb changed the title to F/S Colt SAA 1st Gen. 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter W/Colt Letter Shipped 1907 Price Drop
  • 2 weeks later...

BTT plus a side note.

I looked at my first-generation Colt in 38-40, which factory letters to 1903, and haven’t located a proof mark on it.

Any other place I should look?

Perhaps, since it dates comfortably into the smokeless-powder era, they dispensed with the proof marks. Or maybe I’m just not looking in the right place.

Keep on the sunny side 

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

12 minutes ago, Fort Reno Kid said:

BTT plus a side note.

I looked at my first-generation Colt in 38-40, which factory letters to 1903, and haven’t located a proof mark on it.

Any other place I should look?

Perhaps, since it dates comfortably into the smokeless-powder era, they dispensed with the proof marks. Or maybe I’m just not looking in the right place.

Keep on the sunny side 

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

The VP would be on the trigger guard, left side, forward bow. Colt didn't proof all of their SAAs until about 1912. Many SAAs started showing the proof mark around 1903. If it doesn't have the VP it should be considered a blackpowder gun and not proofed for smokeless. CAS rounds may not be the same pressure as blackpowder as many powders have a higher pressure spike than BP regardless of velocity. All CAS means on the box is the bullet is lead and the velocity is at or below 1,000 fps in a handgun. It doesn't mean it's safe for BP firearms. If you read the box fine print on many commercial CAS boxes, it says they are not rated for use in BP guns. Do people get away with using CAS loads in BP guns? Yes. Is it safe? I can't say as I don't have a magnaflux machine to check for stress cracks. The question is, which straw breaks the camel's back?

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Try the Colt Forum for info.

Here is the thread on this topic. I recommend reading all of it. Some of the posters are also SASS members.

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/black-powder-or-smokeless-where-to-draw-the-line-on-a-older-colt-saa.379378/

• Peacemaker Reb changed the title to F/S Colt SAA 1st Gen. 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter W/Colt Letter Shipped 1907 Price Drop SOLD

Archived