SASS Wire Forum

Glacier glasses?

Chili Ron

I've just used sunglasses in winter, up North to help prevent Snow Blindness.

A bit of cardboard or leather over the earpieces to stop UV etc coming in from the sides.

I had some Inuit wooden eye protection but with my need for corrective lenses, they weren't suitable anymore.

I THINK your issue may be UV damaging your eyes, from entry from the side, not the front/straight on.

You could end up with cataracts, like I have, from too much exposure.

Well according to my doc the best protection is wraparound polarized glasses. 

My girlfriend always wears them at shoots, she says they work great stopping lead splatter but even better they cut down on side distractions and glare when she shoots

I used to drive a truck. Many places I delivered to required safety glasses. I found these to work best for me. They are made by Jackson, called "Hellraisers". My boss even let me take a few when I retired. They are available in several colors, including clear. I use the clear ones when at an indoor range. I wear the smoke a good bit when driving my Jeep with the top off, or using power tools out in the yard.

Image 1 - Kleenguard  V40 HellRaiser 25714 Scratch-Resistant Safety Glasses Smoke Lens

SSP Eyewear make interchangeable lens sports eyeglasses.  They also make bifocal lenses with magnification in the upper center corners for shooters.  I use to use Optic stick-on magnifiers until I found SSP Eyewear.  I had to buy another set of lenses when I had cataract surgery because instead of 2.5X I only need 1.25X now.  The lenses are wrap around to block sun from the side.  

Archived