SASS Wire Forum

Got some interesting phone calls lately

Alpo

The numbers above and below have, once I check them on a search engine, proven to be from telemarketers.

And if I click on the strange number, it changes to an actual telephone number. At least the one 4 days ago did. I haven't tried anything with the one that happened today

But when the phone was ringing the caller ID told me that was a verified number in Florida.

Screenshot_20220902-153320.thumb.png.08bb9c2cf2394137d2f34f0d4bd918d5.png

Screenshot_20220902-153339.thumb.png.95cfe7456e5ff98b4e5ea4a7a1b025f0.png

10 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have received calls for MY HOME NUMBER!

Happened to me once! It was a little scary I have to admit!:o

No idea.  Guess I'll have to try it to see if I'm home.

Hmmm.  The number cannot be completed as dialed.  I have to check the number and try again.

Well I'll be dipped.  Now I now I can check my messages (if I even care to) from all over the planet.  Ho hum!

My personal cell phone rang at within day. I looked at the screen and the call was from “ME”. Yeah, I keep my number in my contacts so I can text myself stuff, mostly technical stuff. 
Anyway, I told my boss that I was getting a call from myself. He said “Answer it. See who it is.”

I answered. It was an Indian (dot, not feather, calling on behalf of the IRS. I had some fun with the guy telling him they really must be talented using my own number to get me to answer. He was oblivious and not much fun. 

I called my own number from my landline, many years ago. Pre call-waiting. Got a busy signal.

Called my own number from my cell phone. It went to voicemail.

Usually I ignore spam numbers. Every once in a while however, I'll answer, give the silence about 5 seconds, and then give a loud, horrible goat bleat into the phone followed by some mooing and snorting.

I can't help it sometimes. :D

Scammers have a device like a phone number random number generator. What’s funny is these devices are illegal and banned from importation in the US. They have been used for years yet the FCC, the FBI and US Customs just can’t seem to do a thing about it. It’s my opinion they don’t want to or they just plain cannot. Regardless, it shows how inept federal authorities are unless there’s a headline in it for them. The ghost of J. Edgar is very proud of what he wrought. 

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Heres the fun part once you answer them They have a known good number , your number is then sold as that to more . 

Ya mean I hafta come up with more animal noises now? :blink:

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Every once in a while however, I'll answer, give the silence about 5 seconds, and then give a loud, horrible goat bleat, followed by some mooing and snorting.

I can't help it sometimes. :D

I usually wait until the second date for that.

29 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I usually wait until the second date for that.

An Acme Thunderer is also effective. I used one before the advent of voicemail and caller ID.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I never answer they phone. Never.

I haven't answered my phone from a number I didn't recognize in 10+ years.  If they actually want to talk to me they can leave a message.

Unfortunately, I have to answer all calls on my work phone.  I get lots more spam calls on it than legitimate calls.

Angus

1.  Phone number:  574-831-xxxx (your number)

2. Calling Party number:  xxx-xxx-xxxx (any number)

3.  Bill to number: xxx-xxx-xxxx (any active number)

A business has several phone lines (1).  Business wants only their published number (2) to be appear to the called party.  And they want all long distance calls billed to the national office (3).

I’m on vacation four hours from work, son is marrying in two hours.  I get a call, I recognize the number as from my employer (telephone company), I didn’t answer.  A few minutes later I get another call from my number, I know how this works, someone at work is spoofing my number hoping I’ll answer, I didn’t.  Then my wife got a call from me!?  She’s frowning at me wondering how I can call her without having a phone in my hand.  “DON’T ANSWER!!!”  She did’t take the call.  Work continued calling using every number they thought would tempt me to answer.  Didn’t work, phones were now on vibrate.

Telemarketers have the same ability to spoof numbers.

My phone now only rings if the calling party matches a number on my contact list.

When I kept getting scam calls with an obvious Indian/Punjabi accent (telling my their name is Kevin) I mentioned it to my buddy in Amritsar, India

He gave me the names of some of the Red Light districts in India and I had some fun with that.

Something along the lines of : Gupta! Is that you? Hey! Has you Mother been forced out of Kamathipura with that disease she has? I heard she was now working in Shivdaspur (The real bottom of the red light districts)

That got a couple of them screaming. 

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Someone told me once that that was possible with a iPhone. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to make that happen with an Android.

Possible solutions

For Android, this is in the Phone app. Click the three lines on the top right, select Settings and Block Numbers. Click on "Block Unknown Callers," and only numbers from your contacts will ring.

Configure Do Not Disturb Priority Allowances

Open your device's Settings app.

Tap Sound, then Do Not Disturb preferences, then Priority only allows.

Set Calls to From contacts only and adjust any other preferences for this mode to your liking.

Turn on Do Not Disturb "Priority only" mode

Swipe down from the top of your screen with 2 fingers.

Under Do not disturb or your current option, tap the Down arrow.

Turn on Do not disturb.

Pick Priority only.

Choose how long you want this setting to last.

Tap Done.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For Android, this is in the Phone app. Click the three lines on the top right, select Settings and Block Numbers. Click on "Block Unknown Callers," and only numbers from your contacts will ring.

I did that.

108298103_Screenshot_20220905-1111592.png.56d98875c2275e9c9731c876e70550f7.png

My phone has been set up like that for about 2 years. However, if the incoming call shows a telephone number - like the phone rings and it shows BR549 - the phone decides that that is identified, and lets it through.

That second one might work though. It doesn't say to only let people on my contact list in. It says to only let starred people on my contact list in. So I would have to go through my contacts and click the star on all of them.

But it is a possibility. I shall give it a try.

Two comments:

1)

I silence or ignore unknown numbers as they come in.

If the call is important, the caller will leave a voice mail. I can then add that number to my address book for the future.

Sending unknown numbers directly to voice mail would be better, but this works as a practical matter.

2)

Fake caller ID is built into the phone system(s). Originally for FAX machines to set the calling number on the header, it was not something the early developers thought of as something someone would fake for "bad" reasons.

Call centers also use it for legitimate reasons, for instance to set the call from the number you (as a customer) originally dialed in on.

Then there are scams and such like car warranties, where the called from number is not even related to the call center. The FCC/FTC/etc.have failed in the recent crackdown.

4 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I like that!  How do you do that?

Angus

Iphone

settings

phone

Silence unknown callers

On 9/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

Iphone

settings

phone

Silence unknown callers

Thanks, but now I've got a follow up question:

Does that block the call or just silence the ringer?  I'd like to give the caller the option to leave a message just in case it's someone I know who's number I don't have listed in my phone, or it's someone I know calling from a borrowed phone.

Angus

17 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Thanks, but now I've got a follow up question:

Does that block the call or just silence the ringer?  I'd like to give the caller the option to leave a message just in case it's someone I know who's number I don't have listed in my phone, or it's someone I know calling from a borrowed phone.

Angus

It silences the ringer and sends the caller direct to your voice mail.

Archived