SASS Wire Forum

Which past lever guns meet these criteria?

Tallboy

3 hours ago, Tallboy said:

How does shooting those feel compare to shooting a modern clone?

Once I was at a shoot out in Michigan.  As I was walking from the parking area to the range, a fellow noticed my original 73 in my gun cart and remarked that he'd never even seen one before.  I told him he could handle it, and even work the action if he wanted to.   He was so used to slicked up, short stroked replicas that he thought the action was frozen!  

12 hours ago, Tallboy said:

Wow on so many levels!! Which one is your favorite? How does shooting those feel compare to shooting a modern clone? I've never shot an authentic lever gun before.

As I said in the earlier post, I shoot the Henry most often in CAS, so it probably qualifies as my favorite. Seeing as original antique Henry rifles usually go for upwards of $30,000, and the 44 Henry Rimfire cartridge is no longer manufactured, I cannot compare shooting my Henry to an original. I did have a little bit of work done to it, it was slicked up by an expert Cowboy Gunsmith, so it is probably a bit easier to shoot than an original.

The Marlin has been slicked up slightly too, so it is probably a bit easier to shoot than it was originally.

The 44-40 Winchester Model 1892 with the tang sight was my main match rifle for a few years in CAS. It has not been slicked up, so the springs are a little bit stiff.

Not pictured is a 44-40 Uberti replica of the Winchester Model 1873. I bought it a number of years ago when I decided to start loading my cartridges with Black Powder. It has been slicked up a bit and is very smooth.

po8RWwMuj

The rest of the antique rifles still have their original springs in them and have not been slicked up at all, so they are all a bit stiffer than a slicked up rifle to shoot.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:29 PM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West by Mike Venturino.

Published back in 1999 but I just checked and it is presently available on Amazon. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it was my primer on all the different models of lever guns that were commonly shot in the Old West. This book will take you through each of the old lever guns, Henry, Winchester 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, and 1894, both originals and modern replicas. Marlin Models 1888, 1889, 1894, and 1895. There are no replicas of Marlins, only originals. There is also loading data for all the cartridges commonly chambered in each of these rifles, both Smokeless and Black Powder.

Hey! My book came today... DUUUDE! What an awesome insane book, holy shit. This is AMAZING. This is all the exact info I was wanting to know more of just couldnt' really find online. Thanks!

Archived