SASS Wire Forum

Which past lever guns meet these criteria?

Tallboy

Hey,

I have become obsessed with lever guns over the last year, and I want to buy 1-2 more (which feels like a good number) to "complete" my collection. Obviously it's never complete, but I it will make me feel satisfied.

My dilemma is I want to pay for quality (less than ~$4000), but none of the current productions exactly meet these criteria, except maybe Turnbull 1886 which is one I'm definitely considering. Other than that, I need to look to previous, no-longer-in-production models.

I'm hoping to get help from here, of people listing the exact name or model of a previous reproduction, to help me filter out all the noise when searching gunbroker.

Example: Hickock45 has a Marlin 1894 24" that looks very cool. When looking on Gun Broker for "Marlin 1894" I see hundreds of guns I don't want, and none I do want. It wasn't until I heard in a different video at a random timestamp he said "this is the cowboy limited edition", and when I put that into gunbroker, I now see "1894CB", and this keyword is the sweet spot. The very first result was a 24" 44mag, exactly what I was looking for.

He also has some Browning "Centennial" model or something that's been impossible for me to find the name of.

I am encountering the same problem when looking up Winchester, Miroku, Browning, etc. I'm hoping you guys can rattle off some exact names/models that fit my criteria below to help me hone in on finding them to buy.

My existing collection:

• Uberti 1873, .357 mag, 20" octagon barrel, straight stock
  • Chiappa 1886, 45-70, 26" octagon barrel, straight stock

Guns I'm looking for:

• 1886 of the highest quality - I already have the Chiappa 1886 but I want just one more, probably the Turnbull 1886, just so I can have that one "last gun I'd ever sell" piece that I will take to my grave, and I think I want it to be this. With regards to Turnbull, I actually care more about the action and fit rather than their beautiful color case hardening. It's definitely a bonus but I'd take something with less color case hardening if the build quality/action cycling/fit of parts were paramount.
    • 45-70
    • 26" octagon
    • straight stock, NO checkering
    • no receiver designs / patterns (curly cues, bears, animals, etc)
  • 1892/1894 - I say 92/94 because it seems Marlin uses 94 for pistol calibers, I'm not sure why... regardless:
    • In order of preference: 44 mag / 45 colt / 357 mag
    • 24" octagon. I may consider 20" if all other boxes are checked
    • straight stock, NO checkering
    • ideally a blued receiver. I do love color case hardened but every single gun I have is color case hardened so I would like to switch it up... but this isn't a dealbreaker

"Current" Guns I've considered

• Pedersoli 1886 (S742) - This one seems very good, except I hate stock checkering, and the other model has a round barrel w/o the checkering :( I also think if it were between this or the Turnbull/Miroku, the Miroku would be far better quality, am I right or wrong? I could 'deal with' checkering I guess if the build quality is truly worlds beyond the Turnbull/Miroku, but I'm guessing its not.
  • Turnbull 1886 - Luckily this ticks every single box as their "default" model, I don't even need to buy any upgrades! It also has a removed tang-safety, and removed rebounding hammer... I can't think of any downside other than price. I'd really shoot the heck out of it, screw it being a "wall piece"
  • Chiappa 1892 - This one is 45 colt and I'd prefer 44 mag. Sadly, they don't make 44 mag in 24". I also would assume Chiappa quality/fit and finish is less than a previous made Marlin or Browning or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Side note: As an extra variable to consider, I'm also willing to send any gun I buy to a lever action gunsmith to tune it (although not short stroke it, as I don't think you can buy them anyway for the guns I listed).

Thanks for reading this far... so can you think of any current or historical models I'm missing that maybe fit all these qualities?

Thanks!

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

I think I've looked at all those so many times and none are "just right". I think the main problem with their 92 is that it's in all kinds of weird calibers.

Just now, Flanigan Flats said:

Browning 1886 Rifle. I have one so I know they exist. Best Non-original 1886 I have come across.

I figured as much, this seems to be a popular one but I don't actually know what to search for. Does it have a model number or "sub model" or anything?

27 minutes ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Browning 1886 Rifle. I have one so I know they exist. Best Non-original 1886 I have come across.

Have you ever used a Miroku to compare it to? I've never held a Miroku but people keep saying it's the best ever. I think browning was made by Miroku too, right? So in theory, the current Turnbull might be "as good" as the browning 1886. Does that logic make sense or am I crazy? Im just thinking this in the event I cannot find a Browning 1886

4 hours ago, Tallboy said:

Have you ever used a Miroku to compare it to? I've never held a Miroku but people keep saying it's the best ever. I think browning was made by Miroku too, right? So in theory, the current Turnbull might be "as good" as the browning 1886. Does that logic make sense or am I crazy? Im just thinking this in the event I cannot find a Browning 1886

Yes, the Browning 1886s were made by Miroku.  I have a 1st year of production rifle... and it is very nice.  Fit and finish are typical Miroku quality... excellent.  Although some folks don't care for their wood finishes, I find it very durable if not quite the hand rubbed oil finish that are found on antique or really high quality firearms.

I been around and seen several mirouku 86’s. Biggest difference that I can see is they have that. Stupid tang safety and a rebounding hammer. The Browning does not. The Winchester’s seem to shoot fine. My Browning shoots excellent. 

5 hours ago, Tallboy said:

1886 of the highest quality

Well, if that's what you want, you need to find a real Winchester.  None of the replicas are as good as the ones made in New Haven back in the day.   And you won't have to take out a loan to get one.  (Well, you CAN if you want to.)   About 5 years ago, when they were running a minimum of $5000, I found one for $1700.   According to the factory letter, it started life with a 24" barrel.  That it has a 20" barrel is probably why I was able to get it so inexpensive, but it is mechanically flawless, smooth as silk, and a great shooter.   (And whoever cut the barrel, did an excellent job, it looks like it came from the factory that way.)

In other words, you can fund a real Winchester for an affordable price if you don't insist on perfect condition.   And yes, mine is a .45-70.   If caliber is flexible, I have seen more than a few 86's for very reasonable prices, but they are all in .33 WCF.

Take it with a grain of salt.

And, until you have the following...

Henry

Burgess

The various Marlins

...your lever action collection will never be complete. 

Can be real or replica.

Oh, and perhaps various lever action 22's as well.

Good luck.  :)

54 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well, if that's what you want, you need to find a real Winchester.  None of the replicas are as good as the ones made in New Haven back in the day.   And you won't have to take out a loan to get one.  (Well, you CAN if you want to.)   About 5 years ago, when they were running a minimum of $5000, I found one for $1700.   According to the factory letter, it started life with a 24" barrel.  That it has a 20" barrel is probably why I was able to get it so inexpensive, but it is mechanically flawless, smooth as silk, and a great shooter.   (And whoever cut the barrel, did an excellent job, it looks like it came from the factory that way.)

In other words, you can fund a real Winchester for an affordable price if you don't insist on perfect condition.   And yes, mine is a .45-70.   If caliber is flexible, I have seen more than a few 86's for very reasonable prices, but they are all in .33 WCF.

Henry

Burgess

The various Marlins

Can be real or replica.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering something similar... I noticed a video someone had an original winchester that was rechambered for 357. I dont remember the original caliber but I think it was 32-20 or something. Is that pretty doable?

The 1886 Brownings were built (by Miroku) in two grades, high grade with all the engraving and such, and a basic blued model.  Limited edition only made in 1986 IIRC.  They are faithful reproductions of the originals, unlike the new production Winchesters (also built by Miroku).

The basic one looks like this, They are fantastic rifles, won a lot of side matches with this one.  26" 45-70.

795425833_IMG_3358(2).thumb.JPG.4c9718c595877d7d15319c20259498e4.JPG355458129_IMG_3359(2).thumb.JPG.c58f841b736e1e7013c2cadb55720aac.JPG

3 minutes ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

The 1886 Brownings were built (by Miroku) in two grades, high grade with all the engraving and such, and a basic blued model.  Limited edition only made in 1986 IIRC.  They are faithful reproductions of the originals, unlike the new production Winchesters (also built by Miroku).

The basic one looks like this, They are fantastic rifles, won a lot of side matches with this one.  26" 45-70.

795425833_IMG_3358(2).thumb.JPG.4c9718c595877d7d15319c20259498e4.JPG355458129_IMG_3359(2).thumb.JPG.c58f841b736e1e7013c2cadb55720aac.JPG

Wow that's insane. I'd kill to have that exact gun, that's literally exactly what I'm looking for. You are so insanely lucky...... I cant imagine youd ever sell that but if you do hit me up! haha. 

Have you seen anyone actually selling those? I guess I'll just keep searching on gunbroker as I have no real other option

9 minutes ago, Tallboy said:

Thanks for the info, I was wondering something similar... I noticed a video someone had an original winchester that was rechambered for 357. I dont remember the original caliber but I think it was 32-20 or something. Is that pretty doable?

I have real Winchesters, 1 73 and 1 92, as well as a real Colt Lightning, in .32-20.   I may soon have another 92 if I decide to get one I've got my eye on.  I would not consider changing them to any other caliber.   Once you try .32-20, it is a bug that bites you hard.   If you really want .357, you need a reproduction.

As far as the reproductions go, I find the Chiappas to be excellent guns right out of the box.  Something I can not say about the Rossi or the, shudder, Armi San Marco.   Avoid the ASM.   Really, don't go there...

I do have a real 92 that someone converted to .44 Magnum from .38-40.   So conversions ARE possible.  If I found a converted one and it was in a caliber I'd wanted, I'd get it, but I'd not convert one myself.

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have real Winchesters, 1 73 and 1 92, as well as a real Colt Lightning, in .32-20.   I may soon have another 92 if I decide to get one I've got my eye on.  I would not consider changing them to any other caliber.   Once you try .32-20, it is a bug that bites you hard.   If you really want .357, you need a reproduction.

As far as the reproductions go, I find the Chiappas to be excellent guns right out of the box.  Something I can not say about the Rossi or the, shudder, Armi San Marco.   Avoid the ASM.   Really, don't go there...

I do have a real 92 that someone converted to .44 Magnum from .38-40.   So conversions ARE possible.  If I found a converted one and it was in a caliber I'd wanted, I'd get it, but I'd not convert one myself.

Mmm more interesting points. For the 92 I suppose I'm not as gung ho about getting an "original" because I do want one also that shoots more common ammo. The 45-70 86 is the "end all be all" gun though, that I would love, like the previous photo in this thread is a 10/10.

By the way, when you say "Armi San Marco" is that different than "Armi Sport", which is who I think makes Chiappa firearms?

1 minute ago, Tallboy said:

Mmm more interesting points. For the 92 I suppose I'm not as gung ho about getting an "original" because I do want one also that shoots more common ammo. The 45-70 86 is the "end all be all" gun though, that I would love, like the previous photo in this thread is a 10/10.

By the way, when you say "Armi San Marco" is that different than "Armi Sport", which is who I think makes Chiappa firearms?

Chiappa makes it's own stuff, as far as I know.

Armi San Marco was a gun maker that is gone now.  According to everything I've read they made a good SAA clone.   Their 92 was very pretty, but the action was...  Well, the gun was as close to unusable as you can get without it actually being that way.  It was the first ever gun I ever had an action job done do, and I did so absolutely because I HAD to.  

I am not sure who/what Armi Sport is.

47 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

According to everything I've read they made a good SAA clone.

I forgot to clarify that in addition to what I have read, I can also say that I have 2 ASM Colt clones.   Both are excellent pistols, and their "safety" is the least intrusive one I've seen.   Instead of changing the gun in some way, the put two positions on the cylinder pin.   Put it on the regular position, and it gun worked.  Put it in the "safe" position, and it prevented the firing pin from reaching the primer.   And, a Colt pin fits if you wanna get rid of it.

10 hours ago, Flanigan Flats said:

I have the Browning / Maroku Saddle ring carbine that I treasure. I also have a custom made Browning / Maroku '71 made into a 50/ 100/480 that is a hoot to shoot!! It barks pretty good!! But the best in the stable right now is a Winchester / Maroku '95 high grade in 405 Winchester. The picture doesn't do the rifle justice!!

Jasper

20160927_165224.jpeg

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Henry

Burgess

The various Marlins

Can be real or replica.

Hey buddy,

Where's the '71?

12 hours ago, Jasper Agate said:

Hey buddy,

Where's the '71?

The 71, 65, 53, 55 an 64 were just modernized variants of the 86, 92, 92, 94 and 94 respectively.   Given their configuration with a half magazine, which I really detest, I don't give them much thought.

The only exception to that is the 71.   I'd like to find one with a shot out barrel and replace it with a .30-40 barrel from a 95 and extend the magazine to full length, giving me something unique.  

But it's probably be more trouble than it's worth.  :)

12 hours ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

This reads sort of like a Want To Buy ad, and sort of like just a discussion post.

Which did you want it to be?  They belong in different areas.

My intention was an informational thread because I didn't really assume anyone would want to sell me their guns that fit these criteria, given they are in high demand. With that said, when people started posting photos I also enjoyed that even tho I didnt expect it!

On 9/2/2022 at 3:37 PM, Tallboy said:

Wow that's insane. I'd kill to have that exact gun, that's literally exactly what I'm looking for. You are so insanely lucky...... I cant imagine youd ever sell that but if you do hit me up! haha. 

Have you seen anyone actually selling those? I guess I'll just keep searching on gunbroker as I have no real other option

I bought my Browning 1886 rifle from Gun Broker as new in the box. It was expensive but worth every penny.  I also have the Browning 1886 SRC and a Browning 1892 SRC in 44 mag. I also have an original 1886 Rifle in 45/90. I guess I like them. 

I’d only consider selling them as a set and that price would be very very high.

Keep looking and saving and when shows up go after it like you mean it. 

1 minute ago, Flanigan Flats said:

I bought my Browning 1886 rifle from Gun Broker as new in the box. It was expensive but worth every penny.  I also have the Browning 1886 SRC and a Browning 1892 SRC in 44 mag. I also have an original 1886 Rifle in 45/90. I guess I like them. 

I’d only consider selling them as a set and that price would be very very high.

Keep looking and saving and when shows up go after it like you mean it. 

Can I ask how much it was for the 45/70, and how long ago you got it on gunbroker? Or  its private, at least tell me if it was over $3000?

If you had the choice between a brand new Miroku 1886 without the tang safety/rebounding hammer, or a Browning 1886 original, would you still pick the browning?

Just now, Tallboy said:

Can I ask how much it was for the 45/70, and how long ago you got it on gunbroker? Or  its private, at least tell me if it was over $3000?

If you had the choice between a brand new Miroku 1886 without the tang safety/rebounding hammer, or a Browning 1886 original, would you still pick the browning?

I bought the rifle several years ago and paid 2k. Same price I paid for the original just a few years ago. 

if I was choosing between my browning and a new one from Turnbull that would be a hard choice. 

Just now, Flanigan Flats said:

I bought the rifle several years ago and paid 2k. Same price I paid for the original just a few years ago. 

if I was choosing between my browning and a new one from Turnbull that would be a hard choice. 

Awesome, that makes me excited that my day too will come. Also I might just get a turnbull too. I havent held either (or any Miroku) so its really hard to decide... so if you ever meditate on it in the next weeks and come up with an answer I'd love to know :)

2 minutes ago, Tallboy said:

Awesome, that makes me excited that my day too will come. Also I might just get a turnbull too. I havent held either (or any Miroku) so its really hard to decide... so if you ever meditate on it in the next weeks and come up with an answer I'd love to know :)

A few weeks ago, there was a dandy Turnbull at Butts Gun Shop in Billings. MT https://buttsgunsales.com/  It was a bit pricey, so it might still be there.

I would  suggest buying a few books and  read up on these rifles then start your search.  Decide on originals or repros.

Good luck I hope you have deep pockets.

Just now, Texas Jack Black said:

I would  suggest buying a few books and  read up on these rifles then start your search.  Decide on originals or repros.

Good luck I hope you have deep pockets.

:lol: I will say that Ive spent the last 15 years out of college trading "fun" for skill and talent, and now the fruits of my labor are finally here.

I will definitely buy a book, thanks. Do you recommend one?

After this thread I kind of decided on an original Browning 1882 and Browning B92 rather than turnbull. I have no idea how the build quality compares, but I imagine if Miroku made only 7000 1886 then they're probably very good, maybe better than modern day 1886, although I'd love to know. I may make a thread specifically about that question later.

10 hours ago, Wallaby Damned said:

not mine but there’s a Turnbull 86’ in 45-70 in the Thornton Cabela’s gun library 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101278459

Wow, I also just saw one show up on Gunbroker this morning.

Somewhere deep down though... I like the finish of the original more...... maybe, I don't know. The turnbull is almost a bit harsh on the eyes, but maybe its because they're over/under-exposed or hyper saturated photos. It's really hard to tell. At first it seems like the end all be all but after I look at them back and forth for hours my eyes get tired of them. I DO think their original restorations though look a lot better, probably because the gun is already oiled and worn, so the bright finish is subdued.

16 hours ago, Tallboy said:

I will definitely buy a book, thanks. Do you recommend one?

Howdy

Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West by Mike Venturino.

Published back in 1999 but I just checked and it is presently available on Amazon. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it was my primer on all the different models of lever guns that were commonly shot in the Old West. This book will take you through each of the old lever guns, Henry, Winchester 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, and 1894, both originals and modern replicas. Marlin Models 1888, 1889, 1894, and 1895. There are no replicas of Marlins, only originals. There is also loading data for all the cartridges commonly chambered in each of these rifles, both Smokeless and Black Powder.

As you can see, my copy is quite well worn.

poYDag84j

Just to tease you a bit, here is the first rifle I took to my first CAS match a bazillion years ago, a Marlin Model 1894 that left the factory in 1895, chambered for 44-40.

pnWyGV0uj

38-40 Winchester Model 1873 that left the factory in 1886.

plkO8zklj

44-40 Winchester Model 1892 that shipped in 1897.

poPDcamXj

32-20 Winchester Model 1892 that shipped in 1911.

pllgDhN7j

Not SASS legal but here is a 45-70 Winchester Model 1886 that shipped in 1886. Yes it has been refinished.

pnsDHo1cj

The rifle I shoot most often in SASS, 44-40 Uberti replica of the 1860 "Iron Frame" Henry

po7ne77gj

Archived