SASS Wire Forum

Tactical Leverguns

Pat Riot

I received an email this morning from Guns America. In it there was a story about Big Horn Armory and their new “tactical levergun”. 
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/big-horn-armory-introduces-first-tactical-lever-action-model-89-black-thunder/

I know some folks lament these types of things but I like the fact that things like this keep the levergun alive. 

Personally, I wouldn’t have picked the 500 S&W as my “tactical levergun” round, but I would bet that round would be ideal in some instances. 
Personally, if I were to build something like this I would probably go with a smaller pistol caliber carbine. Maybe .357 or .45 Colt. 

I do have a couple of 30-30’s and my Cerakote treatment of my Win. 94AE carbine has won some groans from the audience. :lol:

What do you think. Are these things “flash in the pan” fads or are Tacticool Leverguns a serious thing that will be around a while?

I can haul cargo with a horse and wagon...or I can use a truck.  Both get the job done, but under most circumstances (time, distance, payload) the truck is going to be vastly more effective.

Same thing with a lever gun versus a modern semi automatic rifle.  

I would really like to have a lever rifle in 460 S&W Magnum.

I am not willing to spend Big Horn Armory prices for it, though.  Especially after watching how much effort Michael Bane had to put into levering one.

As for tacti-cool lever guns, I believe there will always be people who like and will buy it.  I have had a few instances where I was thinking how great it would be to have a light mounted to rifle.

I must have missed the question that this is supposed to answer.  It seems to me that a 12 gauge pump gun loaded with pumpkin ball and / or buck shot would to the same job at realistic distances, kick less, cost less, and be easier to operate than a lever which needs some room to swing.

4 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Remember that not everyone lives where the can even own or uses MSR

What’s an MSR?

Monster Slaying Rifle? :lol:

6 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I can haul cargo with a horse and wagon...or I can use a truck.  Both get the job done, but under most circumstances (time, distance, payload) the truck is going to be vastly more effective.

Same thing with a lever gun versus a modern semi automatic rifle.  

Except that nobody is trying to take away your lever guns (yet).

That being said, if you showed a picture of a tactical lever gun to people on the street I'd bet 2/3 of them would say that it's an assault weapon.

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Packing around either revolver the size of those two, does NOT IMHO make much sense.  For hunting in woolybooger country or moose, I'd just as soon have the .45-70.  

Having packed a S&W 460 Magnum with 8 3/8" barrel on a hunting trip, I can assure you that I would much rather carry a slim lever-action rifle in the same caliber.

Optic choices for that hand-cannon were also slim.  Not much would hold up to the recoil impulse.  Worse than the 454 Casull.

Nothing wrong with the 45-70.  That said, the 460 S&W Magnum uses .452" bullets and are overall shorter.  Shorter actions should result in smoother/faster handling.

Using bullets less than 300 grains, the 460 will produce the same or higher velocity with shorter barrels than the 45-70 will with a 24-inch barrel.  If using/wanting to use bullets heavier than 300 gr, the 460 is not the round to choose.

It's good to have choices.

Tactical...

I always wondered why no one makes glass impregnated nylon katana furniture (koshirea).

I mean a proper cutting blade with traditional dress koshirea and then battle rattle would be sweet!

I mean they're doing it to cowboy guns

6 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Tactical...

I always wondered why no one makes glass impregnated nylon katana furniture (koshirea).

I mean a proper cutting blade with traditional dress koshirea and then battle rattle would be sweet!

I mean they're doing it to cowboy guns

With a kydex saya.

Archived