SASS Wire Forum

From Google News, minutes ago:

Just a couple weeks after California legislators voted to adopt CARB's recommendation to ban fossil fuel car sales by 2035, the State is seeing the upcoming heat wave, evaluating the State's electrical grid,  and asking EV owners NOT to charge their cars over Labor Day weekend, to avoid overloading the grid.  LOL

This is two days after the same Legislators voted to reimburse Pacific Gas and Electric Company $1.4 Billion to delay mothballing their Diablo Canyon Nuclear Generating Facility before 2030.  

Surprise-surprise!  To run EVs on a large scale, you have to have some electricity!  Perhaps they should have thought of that first. 

It seems there are a lot of unturned stones that are tripping our ignorant-but-arrogant State Legislators. 

No surprise-- nothing unusual to see here folks. 

Oh, joy.  
Yet another "Let's repost the same stupid, misleading anti-EV memes that we've all seen two hundred times!" and "Let's bash CA" thread.

Here, to save people time and trouble, everything from the 5, or is it up to 6, page EV bashing thread:

Summation of Anti-Electric Vehicle Memes and Articles:

Each Electric Vehicle (EV) takes 70,000 tons of coal to produce.

Each EV battery requires 15,000 tons of cobalt ore to be mined by Congolese two-year olds who are then used as fuel in the refining furnaces.

Every mile driven in an EV requires the burning of 11,213 tons of coal in power plants that haven’t been updated since 1939.

EVs can only go 15 miles between charges and it takes 47 hours on a fast charger to recharge. At 43 cents a minute that means $1212.60 to charge. 

There are only five charging station in the continental US.  If all five are in use at the same time it will shut down the entire North American power grid.

EVs are useless because none of them can go 1,000 miles between charges while towing a fully loaded 28 foot trailer up a 7% grade through 4 feet of snow with an air temperature of 40 below zero.

If you are caught in that 4 feet of snow and can’t move you will freeze to death in 30 seconds.

Anyone who does not buy an EV by the end of the year will be marched to the nearest ГУЛАГ, there to be processed into fuel for the power plants .

V. Sorry you found my OP offensive. 

I just described the content of yesterday's Google News article.   

I'm a life-long CA resident and I have to say I object to being forced into an EV at a time when they are not developed for most of the agricultural and forestry work or travel that I do. 

I also object to having to pay PG&E $1.4 Billion in taxpayer money to keep their nuke plant going to patch the gap in the grid between today and 2030, to enable CARB to keep the egg off of their faces from their poorly researched and poorly timed decision.  

CA is trying to lead by example by making fossil fuel obsolete.  That may be laudible, but in the mean time, its very hard for us logging folks to clear all the beetle killed fire fuel (per our State issued CalFire grants), using electric chainsaws that are not nearly developed up to the tasking, as yet. (But draconian CARB  indirectly required them last year, by prohibiting sale of tools and vehicles powered by gasoline engines by year 2025).

I understand where they want to get, but they need to get the steps in the right sequence.   They also need to realize the politics that are involved with issuing the grants paying for global climate research.   The science is much less precise and much less predictive than the politicians and media want you to believe. 

Sorry you have lost your self sdj, it seems you cant even stay on topic for 30 seconds any more. Article cited was regarding a request by the state to conserve electricity through reducing charging of ev’s and setting a/c a bit higher than normal to reduce loading on the grid. However that was more than you could bear and triggered your little diatribe that has become more than a little wearing. Take a moment and relax, you live in a beautiful place but lately you are reinforcing the ugly stereotypes others have of mostly very nice people. Not every thing is an insult but sometimes over reaction spurs on hard feelings. 

BTW once upon a time you your self used to be among the first to call for tolerance of others, guess those times are in the past. 
Sadly

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

10 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

V. Sorry you found my OP offensive. 

I just described the content of yesterday's Google News article.   

I'm a life-long CA resident and I have to say I object to being forced into an EV at a time when they are not developed for most of the agricultural and forestry work or travel that I do. 

I was just wondering why you didn't put it in the existing "EVs Are Works Of Satan" thread.

I was born in La Jolla.  In my life I've spent many a total of three months outside of California.  I also object to the arrogant totalitarianism of our Legislature. Especially when it is based on Lysenkoist junk science and delusions of eating Rainbow Stew on The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

But I know that the exploding heads will post the same memes of freight cars loaded with coal as "EV car fuel," the same unproven claims that you instantly freeze to death if caught in a storm, etc. and California bashing that has filled 5 pages in the last thread on the subject, and Lord knows how many dozen pages in the last two months.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Oh, joy.  
Yet another "Let's repost the same stupid, misleading anti-EV memes that we've all seen two hundred times!" and "Let's bash CA" thread.

Here YOU go again. I'll say it again: These people seem to think that electricity comes from magic. They don't have the capacity to charge the EVs that they have now. They WON'T let the power companies build more power plants to raise the supply. Until SOMETHING changes, they WON'T be able to have everybody driving EVs. 

Once again, the rest of us don't care if it works for you. They won't work for most of us. Especially if one can't charge it BECAUSE THE POWER GRID CAN'T HANDLE THE LOAD. 

11 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Sorry you have lost your self sdj, it seems you cant even stay on topic for 30 seconds any more. Article cited was regarding a request by the state to conserve electricity through reducing charging of ev’s and setting a/c a bit higher than normal to reduce loading on the grid. However that was more than you could bear and triggered your little diatribe that has become more than a little wearing. Take a moment and relax, you live in a beautiful place but lately you are reinforcing the ugly stereotypes others have of mostly very nice people. Not every thing is an insult but sometimes over reaction spurs on hard feelings. 

BTW once upon a time you your self used to be among the first to call for tolerance of others, guess those times are in the past. 
Sadly

Gateway Kid

I just was commenting on how this thread will go. Exactly like the other thread, in which this information has been posted several times.

What I have been posting on FB about the heat wave and the request to cut electric use is:

"Go Electric And Save The Planet!!!!!!!!
By the way, you can't charge your mandatory electric vehicles or use any power at home between noon and midnight!

Have a nice day and vote Democrat for more of the same."

Sorry SDJ

you have tremendous Google fu but using all of your admittedly superior to mine computer skills you won’t find any of those statements in my posts. What saddens me the most is that someone I once considered a paragon of fairness with an ability to be both eloquent and insightful has devolved to painting anyone and everyone with a very broad and indiscriminate brush. 
As I have stated in other posts, as a recent retiree I am much more careful financially these days. I have a diesel truck to pull an 11K # - 39 foot 5th wheel, my Kia gets 28 mpg hwy 22 in town, my wife’s 4-runner is our run around in the mountains vehicle. All are paid for, all are new enough to not need a lot of maintenance, old enough to be reasonable to license. An EV regardless of pro or con is not in my near term future nor is a new ICE vehicle. Attributing your frustrations to everyone on every thread is intellectually beneath you. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Sadly

duplicate, sorry

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I was just wondering why you didn't put it in the existing "EVs Are Works Of Satan" thread.

I was born in La Jolla.  In my life I've spent many a total of three months outside of California.  I also object to the arrogant totalitarianism of our Legislature. Especially when it is based on Lysenkoist junk science and delusions of eating Rainbow Stew on The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

But I know that the exploding heads will post the same memes of freight cars loaded with coal as "EV car fuel," the same unproven claims that you instantly freeze to death if caught in a storm, etc. and California bashing that has filled 5 pages in the last thread on the subject, and Lord knows how many dozen pages in the last two months.

But I didn't say any of that, or did I?

Boy am I sorry I opened this controversial Pandora's Box right here on the normally peaceful "Saloon" side of the SASS online media. 

I do apologize to you folks for disturbing the serenity and more usual levity.  

DDD

13 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But I didn't say any of that, or did I?

No, you didn't. But this subject is already in a rather long thread, along with comments about Newsom wanting to extend the life of a nuclear power plant.

I think I'm going to go play my guitar and let this one rest.

I got a new clip- on electronic tuner today via mail that I'm anxious to try out.

Good evening everyone.  

30 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Boy am I sorry I opened this controversial Pandora's Box right here on the normally peaceful "Saloon" side of the SASS online media. 

I do apologize to you folks for disturbing the serenity and more usual levity.  

DDD

Friends can yell at each other and still remain friends.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I think I'm going to go play my guitar and let this one rest.

I got a new clip- on electronic tuner today via mail that I'm anxious to try out.

Good evening everyone.  

What tuner did you get?  I have a snark, but I usually use my Boss TU3.  The pedal is way more accurate.

56 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

What tuner did you get?  I have a snark, but I usually use my Boss TU3.  The pedal is way more accurate.

I have a pedal unit that is almost too precise.  I also have several others (Korb, Snark, and a couple mediocre phone apps.)  I wanted something real  portable that clips on, so  I don't have to pack it around in a pocket  separatetly. 

This new one is a Fender FT-1 clip-on.  I tried it tonight on four instruments, 2 acoustic electrics, a classical, and a flamenco.  It has 5 different preset modes for chromatic, base, violin, uke, and guitar.   It worked great so far, and it's pretty compact.  I think I like it.  It works from instrument frame vibration frequency, rather than sound, so other instruments don't interfere when you tune up simultaneously.  Again, I think I like it -- and I didnt have to break the piggy bank to buy it

As an escapee from California, I.e. former resident, I can empathize with Joe. It seems that people forget that even though California is a very liberal state, there is a very large population of that state that is more conservative yet those same folks get lumped in with all the leftist whack jobs. 
Also, the news media, though left leaning, loves to take information then sensationalize it so that it becomes a little ego boosting dig against “the man” while all the while still promoting “the man’s” agenda. 

After a while one that keeps getting lumped in with the silliness tends to get pretty sensitive to the BS and they lash out. I know, because I lived it. When one says they live in California there seems to be an automatic bias from those outside California, kind of like when someone says all whites are racist. We all know it isn’t true, but try and change the mind of the person that thinks that is often a futile effort. 

Regarding EVs. Have you seen gas prices in California? I’ll bet if your gas prices were doubled you’d consider an EV and damned quick…and it’s not the California conservative’s fault that gas prices are so high, but because they’re from California they get lumped in with the “enlightened”. 

Regarding the electricity issue. That’s just a cluster ****. I have nothing good to say in that regard so I will end this here. 

Gavin Newsom’s energy plan.

29B908FC-765E-4A3C-87CA-2AF94B4D8DEA.jpeg

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Gavin Newsom’s energy plan.

29B908FC-765E-4A3C-87CA-2AF94B4D8DEA.jpeg

The contemporary version of a Jerry Brown T-shirt!  Moonbeam was great at boosting CA high tech.  It took the Golden Gate Bridge Transit District 40 years to get rid of his great idea, the Larkspur ferries were justified before the Arab Oil Embargo.  One design criteria was to beat the trip time by car or bus.  This require operation at high speed all the way.  Before they even started service the bank erosion from wake in the Larkspur channel meant the speed had to slowed to eliminate the wake when in the channel.  This added so much time to a one way trip that the trip time was greater than the trip by bus.  The only enticement was you could spend the ride getting a liquid buzz.  Jerry insisted that the ferries be built in a CA shipyard (San Diego) and the propulsion and auxiliary engines were Solar gas turbines.   Solar is located in San Diego.  The 80kW gas turbine auxiliary engine generators never produced 80kW because the inlet air temperature was too high.  They were immediately replaced by diesel powered gensets.  The turbine fuel consumption was killing the District's budget; so, they frequently raised the bridge tolls.  In the 1980's the turbines were replaced by hot rodded Driptroit 16V149TTA's diesels.. 

Archived