SASS Wire Forum

TTN pricing

Johnny Knight

Looking to pick up a hammered double for shooting classic.  A fellow cowboy has a spare TTN that he has offered to part with, but didn't have a price on what he wants for it.  He said 'make me an offer', so looking to get an idea on a price that would be fair on both ends of the deal.  I don't believe it has had any work done on it so far.  I've been keeping a lazy eye out, but I've only seen one go up for sale recently on gunbroker that went for $875.  I believe that one had some work done on it, but I don't recall any details.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Johnny

I'd say that is about the upper limit.  One year ago I bought an older EMF-branded TTN with no work and very little wear from a pard for $300.  I would say that is the lower limit.  It was at a swap meet held in conjunction with the club's annual picnic, so it was one of those right time, right place things.  If he had advertised it I'm sure it would have sold in 2 minutes.   My original TTN was purchased for about $350 in '04, which I think was the dealer price then (I was working for the dealer).   

Some people would just like to get their money back out of the deal, and others want to take advantage of the current situation and make as much profit as they can.  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943381483

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/938915502

Here are a few links to some that have sold recently on Gunbroker.  Neither seem to have any serious work done to them.  Of course on Gunbroker the buyer needs to factor in shipping and FFL fees, and the seller has to deduct auction fees.

Earlier this year I paid $800 for one which was already fully slicked up for SASS. About a year before that I bought one locally which was completely stock for $550. Gives you some recent idea of at least what I was willing to pay. 

48 minutes ago, July Smith said:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943381483

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/938915502

Here are a few links to some that have sold recently on Gunbroker.  Neither seem to have any serious work done to them.  Of course on Gunbroker the buyer needs to factor in shipping and FFL fees, and the seller has to deduct auction fees.

When I saw the $1275 price on that second link, I went "yikes!"  But then realized it was for two shotguns.

16 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When I saw the $1275 price on that second link, I went "yikes!"  But then realized it was for two shotguns.

Ha!:D  Clearly it looks like somebody was getting out of this game. 

Hopefully whoever bought them turned them into their primary and backup for shooting classic.  I myself have been in the market for a decent hammer double or 87 to give classic a try.  Just not enough time or money yet.

23 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Looking to pick up a hammered double for shooting classic.  A fellow cowboy has a spare TTN that he has offered to part with, but didn't have a price on what he wants for it.  He said 'make me an offer', so looking to get an idea on a price that would be fair on both ends of the deal.  I don't believe it has had any work done on it so far.  I've been keeping a lazy eye out, but I've only seen one go up for sale recently on gunbroker that went for $875.  I believe that one had some work done on it, but I don't recall any details.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Johnny

$914 with shipping/insurance (943466087, John Barleycorn). :blink:

Another one went for $935, shipped (943381483), and a third one that ended a week ago was listed with a starting bid of $700 and didn't get any bids at all. (944436351)

There's a 26"er currently at $530 with three days to go (943638121) - easy enough to cut down.

Dang - I bought two of these at Sportsman's Warehouse ten years ago for $389.99 each.

As I understand it, some of the Cimarron models were TTN's, but not all of them were.  Is that the case?  If so, any idea on when the change occurred or how to distinguish one from the other?  How do the guns differ?  Thanks !

1 hour ago, Johnny Knight said:

As I understand it, some of the Cimarron models were TTN's, but not all of them were.  Is that the case?  If so, any idea on when the change occurred or how to distinguish one from the other?  How do the guns differ?  Thanks !

4 or 5 years ago Cimarron imported a very small number of 1878 hammer shotguns from Daudson in Pakistan.  It was a little better finish, shinier.  I think it had checkering also.  Not many of them out there.

My understanding is the advantage of the TTN's is that they are built like tanks, and once they are slicked up they just keep working.  Any idea if that applies to the Pakistan version?  Also, if a Cimarron gun has a PRC barrel stamp, I assume that PRC= Peoples Republic of China, but does that mean it is the TTN?

2 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Howdy,

First, T.T.N. models are the old copies of the Colt Model 1878 Shotgun that were made in China for Thomas Trans National, and sold through Cimarron Firearms.   TTN is no longer in the gun business.  They still exist selling herbal remedies.   The early years of these TTNs were rough, reports are (I'd have to go back and find the articles), that the later years of these guns were much better.

The current 1878 copies distributed by Cimarron came from two sources, China and Pakistan.   If buying a newer one, try to get the one from Pakistan.   Reports from gunsmiths indicate these are the better guns.  

IF you can find a TTN or a Pakistan-made 1878 on the secondary market, I'd give it a serious look.   

Know that these guns are rather heavy, and have a lug between the chambers, that for some, increases the "fumble factor".  (Like anything else, practice!)  This is one of the reasons for the popularity of the hammered double made by CZ.  

Shot an original Colt 1878 yesterday at Boonville Regulators.

572379503_Pre-1900cowboyguns932022.jpg.a96669df9ae0d3a61994003d0441329b.jpg

Other pre-1900 guns - Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1883,  Colt first generation 1896, Marlin 1889 44WCF.  Shot Frontier Carthage Gunfighter.  Came in last but first in my category.  

23 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Out of curiosity, do the original 1878's have the lug between the barrels?

Johnny

Yes, it's a "doll's head".  

wm_2840745.thumb.jpg.53d86a6dd1d785786de1ea4e0c17f5a6.jpg

Archived