SASS Wire Forum

Pondering loading shotshells again

Mustang Gregg

Hello, the fire,

I have not reloaded hulls since the early '80's on an old Bair machine.

But I am thinking that I ought to get started reloading again for 12 gage.

I am starting out with zero equipment, except I have an excellent 40" tall loading bench.

Can you make suggestions on which one you prefer or use and why?

Much obliged for the help.

Mustang Gregg

If you have a Sportsman's nearby, I recommend the MEC reloader they carry. The Sportsman's here has the presses, wads, shot, and all required parts to match the load you desire. Easy.

10 minutes ago, Cholla said:

If you have a Sportsman's nearby, I recommend the MEC reloader they carry. The Sportsman's here has the presses, wads, shot, and all required parts to match the load you desire. Easy.

Thanks, Cholla.  I was thinking the MEC might be a good choice, since I will not be a high capacity reloader.  But I didn't know about their strength.  I can (attempt to) order the loaders and their parts through my wholesalers.

Muchas gracias, Amigo!

15 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Thanks, Cholla.  I was thinking the MEC might be a good choice, since I will not be a high capacity reloader.  But I didn't know about their strength.  I can (attempt to) order the loaders and their parts through my wholesalers.

Muchas gracias, Amigo!

I've got 2 MEC 600 juniors, had them for over 20 years, great machine. Load black with one and smokeless on the other.

When I started reloading shotshells I bought a MEC Sizemaster because it has a collet type resizer for the base of the shell and it was the same machine as my mentor used. Perfectly adequate for my needs since all I shoot shotgun for is CAS. I changed the bar to an adjustable one and had no problems. Had a bunch of points at Sportsmans Warehouse at a time they had a really good sale so I upgraded to a MEC 9000GN. Works great, have loaded about 10,000 rounds on it with no problems. It also resizes the base and makes a slight taper on the mouth of the shell so I personally have had no need to get one of those devices that you add to help you get a more "loadable" shell. May eventually get an adjustable bar for it but at this time I only load two versions of shotshells, a 3/4 oz load for my practice that my wife finds tolerable and a 1 oz load that I prefer in competition as I tend to get a lot of edge hits and like the idea of more lead going downrange at higher velocity. If I had unlimited funds I might change but my machines together cost less than 1/3 of the high end machines. That is a lot of shooting with those savings for a very satisfactory shell.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

If you're only shooting Cowboy, a Mec 600 Jr will be an adequate machine.  It takes about an hour to load 100 rounds.  There is an adjustable charge bar available that makes dialing in a specific load pretty easy.  I see these presses come up for sale all the time so you may save some money getting a used one.   w

I personally dislike loading shotgun shells but in trying times, we do what we gotta do.

Used to shoot trap forty years ago and reloaded on a MEC 600 Jr.   Now shooting cowboy action and still reloading on the same press.  Meets all my needs.  SB

My MEC is from the 1960s. The only issue was replacing the wad finger to the new style. Even though it's almost 60 years old, just about any part I need, Sportsman's has.

MEC for me. Easy parts availability. I use a 600jr for BP and a Grabber for smokeless. Both machines are quite old and work perfectly.

I have 3 Mec 600 Jrs and one Mec 8567 Grabber.  I love the 600 Jrs.  One of mine is at least 45 years old and still plugs away.  The 8567, not so much.

8 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Hello, the fire,

I have not reloaded hulls since the early '80's on an old Bair machine.

But I am thinking that I ought to get started reloading again for 12 gage.

I am starting out with zero equipment, except I have an excellent 40" tall loading bench.

Can you make suggestions on which one you prefer or use and why?

Much obliged for the help.

Mustang Gregg

Lots of decent reloading machines....if they are in stock.  I know a lot of progressive rifle/pistol presses have been out of stock 

Another problem is components, shotgun primers are expensive and often hard to find, powder can be hard to find and there aren't always a lot of options and the retail price of bird shot is pushing $50/25 lbs.

I'm not saying whether or not you should reload, but depending on what you have on hand and what you will have to buy, you might not save any money compared to buying factory ammo.  Prices on shotgun ammo are dropping, although most of what is available is Fiocchi or Rio, but they are quality makers.

Here are two links to search for ammo.  If the seller doesn't accept credit cards, it probably a scam:

https://www.ammobuy.com/

https://ammoseek.com/

It sounds like all ya'll like the MECs. 

There is one, missing a few parts, in Dad's basement.  I'll go look it over.

I have been shooting mostly rifle and handguns, just loading for them for over 30 years.

Our Bob White Quail population is all but gone in S/E NE, so I just haven't had the need to reload.

Much obliged for the assistance and opinions.

Mustang

If you're just loading for cowboy I'd suggest a Lee Load all II, less than $100.00 and while it's kinda slow they all come out great! I load 25 rounds in about 30-45 minutes.

I have used nothing more complicated than a Lee Load-All to build  more 12 gauge shells than I can count.  When I bought it they could be found for less than 50 bucks and can still be found brand new for well under a hundred bucks.

Mine is dependable and easy to use -almost idiot proof.  Plastic construction is frowned on by a lot of folks BUT - I guarantee that you cant tell what shotgun shells were loaded on what press once you start pulling triggers...

Rye,

I was looking at that one too.  There will possibly be some folks giving Lee Precision a bad time (it happens a lot).

But I will check them out also.  

I have several Lee tools in my metallic loading equipment now.  And I like many of them!

Thanks,

Mustang

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

It sounds like all ya'll like the MECs. 

There is one, missing a few parts, in Dad's basement.  I'll go look it over.

I have been shooting mostly rifle and handguns, just loading for them for over 30 years.

Our Bob White Quail population is all but gone in S/E NE, so I just haven't had the need to reload.

Much obliged for the assistance and opinions.

Mustang

Snag Dad's, the parts are easy to get and inexpensive. Manuals are also readily available.

25 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Snag Dad's, the parts are easy to get and inexpensive. Manuals are also readily available.

This. All parts are available. That said, I had a Lee 40 years ago. It did everything we needed it to do with grace. But if you have a MEC that just needs a few parts, it can take the shotshell tapering die and the Lee can't.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

Lots of decent reloading machines....if they are in stock.  I know a lot of progressive rifle/pistol presses have been out of stock 

Another problem is components, shotgun primers are expensive and often hard to find, powder can be hard to find and there aren't always a lot of options and the retail price of bird shot is pushing $50/25 lbs.

I'm not saying whether or not you should reload, but depending on what you have on hand and what you will have to buy, you might not save any money compared to buying factory ammo.  Prices on shotgun ammo are dropping, although most of what is available is Fiocchi or Rio, but they are quality makers.

Here are two links to search for ammo.  If the seller doesn't accept credit cards, it probably a scam:

https://www.ammobuy.com/

https://ammoseek.com/

The supply situation has improved over the last few months.  The Cheddite 209 shotgun primers I load in my 7/8 oz CAS shotgun loads are available online for ~8-cents each.  My powder of choice for CAS shotgun loads, Alliant Extra-Lite is also available and has been sold online recently in 8-lb jugs.  No shot has been available at local retailers for a long time so a few local shooters are loading with Shootin Fox's #7 1/2 shot.  I picked up some at EOT to avoid shipping costs.  I still find once-fired Remington Gun Club hulls for free at clays ranges and load these for local matches.  Suitable wads are available at my local retailers and online.  I think you could start reloading shotgun shells for CAS within a few weeks of setting up your press.

+1 for MEC Jrs.  I load both blackpowder and smokeless shells for CAS on one I bought used for $60.  I've only had to replace the sizing ring and the rubber bottle grommets on mine.

Locally AA "featherlights" are available at Wal*Marts and a big box retailer for ~$12-$14 a box.  I can reload low-recoil shells for about half that price.  

I load my son's 12ga on a Lee Load All. I'm now running each shell through the MEC supersizer for the base and the Slix shotshell sizer for the crimp, because the shells are so inconsistent. With those extra steps he has no issues with them.  I agree with the advise on going with the MEC Jr or if you can find one the RCBS Mini Grand was a great loader. 

The Lee Load All works and is easy to set up and use, but the sizing and crimping stations are not all that good. They routinely stick in the chamber of a sxs  unless I resize and recrimp them first. I'd think they'd run OK in a 97.

JEL

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

I load my son's 12ga on a Lee Load All. I'm now running each shell through the MEC supersizer for the base and the Slix shotshell sizer for the crimp, because the shells are so inconsistent. With those extra steps he has no issues with them.  I agree with the advise on going with the MEC Jr or if you can find one the RCBS Mini Grand was a great loader. 

The Lee Load All works and is easy to set up and use, but the sizing and crimping stations are not all that good. They routinely stick in the chamber of a sxs  unless I resize and recrimp them first. I'd think they'd run OK in a 97.

JEL

Funny I get great crimps and sizing on my Lee Load all, I think the trick is be careful and don't press down too hard or fast. JMHO

When I load on my Lee Load-All, every completed shell as it comes off the press gets dropped into one of those Slix checker/sizer combos, and 95% of them plunk right in and drop out. Crimps always look great, and I never have a problem with sizing the base, but have noticed that with some hulls (probably shot in somebody's loose chamber) the sizing ring takes more effort to size all the way down to the rim.  So I have to pay attention that I'm pushing it down all the way.  The ones I shoot in SxS will get checked again with the Slix tool just before the match, and usually a few will need to have the crimp end pushed into the tool to chamber freely again. 

Rye, you must be lollygagging. :) Takes me about 15 minutes to load a box.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

This. All parts are available. That said, I had a Lee 40 years ago. It did everything we needed it to do with grace. But if you have a MEC that just needs a few parts, it can take the shotshell tapering die and the Lee can't.

Or directly available directly from MEC in WI, with online ordering (MEC Outdoors).  I have 2 MEC 600 Jr.s, one from about 1974 & one from 1987 for my wife's 20ga.  About 10 years ago I bought up a small quantity of spare parts for the my pre-1982 machine.  I recently had to replace the mounting unit for the powder & shot bottles, (rust knows no limits):  it was in stock, shipping on the Monday following my weekend order.  I have two accessories that I find invaluable, the EZ-Pack (for packaging shotshells in their original boxes), and the EZ-Prime one each machine, (for not having to individually handle primers).  

I bought a MEC Sizemaster and it makes good shells. Better if the hulls are Remington. AA's will need the sizer/checker to run smooth (new ones need it, too).

The Mec Sizemaster would get my vote for Cowboy. The sizing of the base is adjustable, which is a real plus. Once you add the E-Z Prime to a Jr you're nearly at the price of a Sizemaster, and it comes with E-Z Prime. The Jr and Sizemaster work the same except for sizing the base. 

The adjustable bar is a gimmick, IMO, however if you load 410, it makes tuning the load easy. For 12 ga, I prefer the bar and bushings. 

I've owned a few LEE Load-All  presses in 12, 16 and 20 ga. and would not recommend them for Cowboy. Come to think of it, I wouldn't recommend them at all, for any kind of reloading.  

I've also owned a bunch of the old style LEE Loaders for shotgun. Everytime the price goes up I seem to sell them. then when I see some at a good price, I feel compelled to buy them. They are a handy tool, and with a bi of practice, you can make nice ammo. Great for loading slugs and buckshot. I have LEE Loaders in 10, 12, 16 and 20. The Holly Grail (410) has eluded my searching so far. Great to store in the chuckwagon (RV) as they take up very little room.

A progressive will make a lot of shells in a hurry. I had a Grabber, bought it used and it was a challenge to get working. It can also make a mess real quick. Back in the day, the real shooters used P-W.   

It's real important to get decent components. Find a hull that works and stick with it. Select the proper wad, tapered wads for tapered cases  straight wads for straight cases. Claybuster wads haven't been my friend, beware of the nuances. 

BB

I guess I am in the minority that I load on a Ponsness Warren.  I bought an 800 Cvt at an estate sale and did a lot of learning, tweaking, tuning and upgrading on it.  It produces factory quality reloads and does it quickly.  I like it so well I bought an 800 plus for my new loading room I am setting up at my farm.  

As for the cost of reloading the price of shotgun primers keeps coming down.  Powder is becoming mire available in just the last few weeks.  Shot has been a little hard to find but it is available.  I don't think prices will ever get back to what they were pre plandemic but the reason I reload is because the ammo I shoot for cowboy is either not available or if I do find it the price is double what it was.  I had a good stock of supplies so I am still able to reload in the $4 a box range.  But even at today's prices you can still do it for under $8.  The cheap value pack shotshells at walmart are over $9 a box and I haven't seen LNLR's for less than $12.  

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Funny I get great crimps and sizing on my Lee Load all

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When I load on my Lee Load-All

First, how old are your loaders? This one is brand new,  within the past few months, and it's quality control was somewhat close to... non-existent. I looked for another RCBS Mini Grand, which is what I started on, but couldn't find one. My buddy uses an old Lee Load-all to develops loads which is why I decided to buy this one. They are NOT the same machines. As soon as my little guy works up to shooting my normal load the Lee is gone. 

JEL

Howdy

I learned to load shotgun shells on my old Mec Jr about 20 years ago. I have a very fancy progressive press made by RCBS, but I never use it.

I only load Black Powder shells for CAS on my Mec Jr these days. I do not pour Black Powder into a plastic bottle, I dip the powder by hand out of a mug. I do not use modern plastic wads with BP, I use separate card wads, which can be seen here. I can only load 3 or 4 boxes an hour, but that is enough for CAS.

pmvlMAf7j

2 hours ago, John E. Law said:

First, how old are your loaders? This one is brand new,  within the past few months, and it's quality control was somewhat close to... non-existent. I looked for another RCBS Mini Grand, which is what I started on, but couldn't find one. My buddy uses an old Lee Load-all to develops loads which is why I decided to buy this one. They are NOT the same machines. As soon as my little guy works up to shooting my normal load the Lee is gone. 

JEL

Sorry to hear you seem to have gotten a lemon.  One of mine is over 20 years old that I load BP with, the other I got like new off the Wire this past year for smokeless, not sure but I think it is a recent manufacture.

I bought a Lee Loadall 2 a few months ago to load BP which is my first shotshell loader. I use homemade wads from cork tiles. It's a bit finicky but for CAS it's a nice little unit since I don't do big batches, just enough for one match at a time.

Archived