SASS Wire Forum

1886 Gunsmith?

Tallboy

Hi,

I bought a Chiappa 1886 that will be arriving soon. I realize there's no short stroke for this gun, so really I just want to get it slicked up / checked out, and have the internals honed if necessary. That way it's as buttery smooth as possible, and I'm confident that everything is as it should be.

Most gunsmiths I see and have emailed only work on 66 and 73. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

The 86 and 92 are very similar.  The take down on an 86 is a little harder, but any smith that can slick up a 92 should be able to tune an 86.  I forget the guys name off hand but he has a DYI dvd on tuning the 92.  He would be my first go to guy for tuning an 86.

5 hours ago, July Smith said:

The 86 and 92 are very similar.  The take down on an 86 is a little harder, but any smith that can slick up a 92 should be able to tune an 86.  I forget the guys name off hand but he has a DYI dvd on tuning the 92.  He would be my first go to guy for tuning an 86.

The internals of an 86 are COMPLETELY different than a 92. Externally they resemble one another but internally the 86 is an entirely different gun. 

Not one aspect of slicking a 92 applies to an 86.  I know I own both. I have slicked up total of 8 92s and am working on my first 86 smoothing out the internals. Should only take me about 40 hours of polishing to get the job done.

I can do a 92 in an afternoon.

Reassembly of an 86 takes 3 hands, the patience of Job, and some luck.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:08 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

The internals of an 86 are COMPLETELY different than a 92. Externally they resemble one another but internally the 86 is an entirely different gun. 

Not one aspect of slicking a 92 applies to an 86.  I know I own both. I have slicked up total of 8 92s and am working on my first 86 smoothing out the internals. Should only take me about 40 hours of polishing to get the job done.

I can do a 92 in an afternoon.

Reassembly of an 86 takes 3 hands, the patience of Job, and some luck.

Try doing it with an original that has 130 years of gunk and junk in it with no instruction manual. It does take a while.

kR

Archived