SASS Wire Forum

Holster lubricant

Roy Sackett

Not everyone has custom leather.  When I first started I had generic holsters and used this stuff.  That only lasted about two months until I bit the bullet and purchased quality leather from Kirkpatrick and Mernicle.

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-Draw-Ez-Solution-For-Holsters/dp/B001TOLNCK

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not everyone has custom leather.  When I first started I had generic holsters and used this stuff.  That only lasted about two months until I bit the bullet and purchased quality leather from Kirkpatrick and Mernicle.

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-Draw-Ez-Solution-For-Holsters/dp/B001TOLNCK

Saran Wrap and water :P

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Saran Wrap and water :P

Heck I have had to do that with new pants.  When you are built like a bowling pin you have to be creative.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I must be doing something wrong...never have had to use a lube for my holsters.

Phantom

I think it might have to do with the humidity. I noticed when I’ve went to Arizona the guns came out of the holsters smoother. 

I also use KG9 leather kote. 

8 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

I think it might have to do with the humidity. I noticed when I’ve went to Arizona the guns came out of the holsters smoother. 

I also use KG9 leather kote. 

I don't know...Spent 11 years in Texas shooting without any particular problem (with sticky holsters). 

Phantom

My holsters stick sometimes.  I think it feels much worse than its effect on stage times.  It just takes a bit more muscle to draw the pistols, but it isn't necessarily slower. 

The flipside is reduced retention.  I am very active on a posse, bending down or kneeling often to pick up brass or reset targets.  I appreciate a bit more holster retention. (I don't really like retainer straps, because I tend to forget them when I begin a stage).  

I personally would never apply any kind of lube to leather.  The risk of it changing the leather dimensions or texture seems pretty great, especially over time, if reapplied frequently.  Just my own paranoia.  

Go easy with the KG9, have seen and heard of folks pistols flying right out when stopping after running to another position.

My holsters are custom made by one of the best in the business.  They do occasionally get a bit sticky, which I've attributed to the high humidity we experience in the south.  I could be wrong though, it could just be a personal failure on my part.  But since I'm stubborn and don't plan on changing my sticky ways I'll just use KG9 every few months and not worry about my personal failings. 

27 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Go easy with the KG9, have seen and heard of folks pistols flying right out when stopping after running to another position.

True statement. It's slick. Very little will do ya. 

15 hours ago, Roy Sackett said:

What is good to use inside holsters to prevent sticking?

The question is: Why are they sticking? When you draw the gun is there a point where the gun is not sticking?  If it is when the muzzle or the ejector rod thumbpiece are far enough out of the bottom of the holster, or when the cylinder clears the top of the holster, then the holster has not been properly fitted to the gun.  This can be done very easily.  I would recommend you first go to your hardware store or hobby shop and get several hardwood dowel rods, of 7/8", 5/8" and 3/8" diameter, plus some medium grade sandpaper, which you will use to round one end of each rod, just enough to take off the sharp corner.  Take your gun and wrap it in Saranwrap or a plastic ZipLok (or similar) baggie, tightly around the gun.  Run the holster under tepid water until the inside is filled and the outside completely wet...for only about 15-30 seconds, then dump the water out and wipe off any drops on the outside to keep from spotting the leather.  Stick the wrapped gun in the holster.  If there appears to be a tight spot at the muzzle and front sight and/or the ejector thumbpiece, remove the gun and use the appropriate sized wood rod to expand the leather in that area. You might need to expand the leather around where the front of the cylinder sits.  Don't overdo any of this. You can always expand these areas more, if required.

Stick the wrapped gun back in the holster and twist it slightly, but not too much, back and forth.  Leave the gun in the holster for six or seven hours or overnight.  Remove the wrapped gun and allow the holster to dry until it no longer feels wet inside and out.  Take the gun out of the baggie and insert it into the holster, and drawing it out until you are satisfied with the feel of the draw.  Let the leather dry for a couple of days, depending on your climate, and repeat working the gun as necessary until you are happy with the feel of the draw.  Obviously, wipe the gun down with a gun rag to prevent any rusting.

Note: This will work with unlined or holsters lined with vegetable-tanned cowhide, calfskin or pig.  I don't recommend suede for a lining as it will act like sandpaper on the finish of your gun, and impedes the draw! 

Best of luck. Stay well and safe!

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Reckon I’m kinda in this camp..

I want my pistols to stay in during fast movement or stops..

just another point of view :huh:

Another vote for "use sparingly".  I've only ever used the stuff once when I had a new sticky holster and a pard at the match said "here" and rubbed some in the holsters.  It worked well, but some had gotten on the cylinder which then got on my fingers as I loaded the gun.  Now I'm trying to handle and shoot guns with super slippery fingers!  And it doesn't wipe off easily.  So watch out for that. :)

I have several holster from a well known leather outfit. They were a snug fit but just putting the guns in a plastic bag or two then getting them all the way positioned in the holster and leaving them there really helped. One for a Ruger 44 special flat top was much tighter. It took more work doing the same to make it better. I have not wetted the holsters, been hesitant to do that.

I've had a couple that I used a little silicon spray on a rag to wipe inside the holster. Still held the holster securely but drew much easier.

I use it on my gun cart rifle rests that are leather lined. Couldn't tell ya if it really reduces blueing wear! Used on my old shotgun belt, couldn't bend over without shells falling out  and then more when ya bend to pick those up.! :P For the amount needed, that little jar would supply a Posse for a lifetime. :D

I just use guns that are too small for the holsters or holsters that are too big for the guns. Problem solved.

21 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

..... (I don't really like retainer straps, because I tend to forget them when I begin a stage).  ....

Are you saying that AFTER you've loaded your pistols at the loading table, you holster them and THEN PUT THE STRAPS BACK ON?  I can't see why you would ever want to do that -- just before you are about to called onto the stage.  I walk around from stage to stage etc with the straps on the hammers, but once I put the guns on the loading table, I give a little tug to get the straps out of the way and they don't go back onto the hammers until after I've cleared and then re-holstered the guns at the unloading table. 

On 8/31/2022 at 1:09 PM, Sawhorse Kid said:

Are the guns actually sticking or is it just holster retention?

I have one gun that has a lot of bite at the tip of the ejector rod housing that simulates sticking.

That's where you need to wet the leather and use a dowel to stretch it out just a little. 

27 minutes ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

KG 9    it works.   Everyone gets advice...........only the wise profit from it.

No doubt it works...that's not the issue. The issue is why in the he$$ do you need it in the first place?

But...what do I know...obviously I'm stoopid and lack wisdom.

:o

Archived