SASS Wire Forum

Starline Brass is allowing backorders on 44-40

T-Square

I just checked this this morning so something changed during the day. Thank you for the heads up.

57 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I just checked this this morning so something changed during the day. Thank you for the heads up.

I did too.

Thanks, I just placed an order.

8 hours ago, Will Kane said:

Unfortunately, apparently not so for 38-40. 

With new brass you can make 38-40 from 44-40 brass.

Most important part is to make sure the case mouth is Perfectly round. Cut the end off an old round punch or you can even use an old sharpie inserted into the case mouth to remove any imperfections. If it is not perfectly round the neck will wrinkle when your resize it.

Apply a good lube like Imperial sizing wax to the neck area. 

Then slowly run the 44-40 brass into your 38-40 sizing die.

You can do this with once fired brass but it is easier with new as the case mouths are usually in better shape.

40 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Still available this morning.  I just cancelled an order for 1,000.

I checked a few hours ago and it wasn't.

3 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Well that didn't last long...:(

It surely didn't.

Opened last night and closed this morning.  At least they know that there is a market for this cartridge.

I just placed another Order.  I guess I am just getting gun shy after not being able to find many at any price.  Except the guys on Gun Broker that are charging 4-5 times what they paid.

Howdy Pards

I’m a proud owner of period 38/40’s and 44/40’s and have reloaded for them since Grant was a lance corporal.

Concur with earlier comments that it is a simple matter to lube a 44/40 case, run it thru a 38/40 full-length resizing die, and … Voila! … you’ve got an eminently usable 38/40 case.

The reverse? Should you have 38/40’s and want 44’s, a light load will fireform them nicely to 44’s.

I’ve read of Pards that converted 38/40’s to 44/40’s by using first a 41 caliber neck expanding die followed by a 44/40 expanding die. The first reload looked a bit odd but upon firing produced a fireformed case.

A side note. Hope Starline will keep the assembly lines going for both cartridge cases and eliminate the need for these steps. Almost all of my 38 and 44 cases are WW or R-P (with some UMC and other oddities). Despite slow, careful reloading on a single-stage press and mild loads, their case life isn’t nearly as long as Starline.  Starline brass in these calibers won’t last forever but their length of service , IMHO, is far superior to their competitors.

Just my 2 cents.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Keep the shiny side up and the dark side down.

UPDATE ON SEPT 7, 2022

I received notice today that my 44-40 brass will be delivered on Sept 9th.

Unfreaking believable !    Eleven calendar days must be some kind of record !

Maybe they'll get the long 38-55 brass going soon?

We can only hope.

17 hours ago, T-Square said:

UPDATE ON SEPT 7, 2022

I received notice today that my 44-40 brass will be delivered on Sept 9th.

Unfreaking believable !    Eleven calendar days must be some kind of record !

I ordered on AUG 27th, and they arrived yesterday on SEP 7th.

The folks at Starline are good people and easy to deal with.  If they have the caliber you want, they waste no time in getting it to you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, Savvy Jack said:

Been waiting on my 44-40 brass since 5 Sept, as of 9 Oct, still processing order

On 10/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ranger Dan said:

Same here...

You need a few thousand friends to all order a thousand, then they'll schedule production, and you'll receive your order in days! :P

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

You need a few thousand friends to all order a thousand, then they'll schedule production, and you'll receive your order in days! :P

Not exactly

Starline opened the window for backorders then closed the window when the order was full. If they still needed "a few thousand friends", they would not have closed the window.

Archived