SASS Wire Forum

Question about buying eggs in Canada and Australia and anywhere else in the world

Most often 12, 18, or 24.  Have a 24 of Free Range Eggs in the fridge at the moment.  Absolutely the best in flavor and color.  Years ago when I lived in a major city I would see sixes - I think because of space issues in small apartment refrigerators.

.... didja hear the one about the guy who was going to the shop to get a bottle of milk?

.......... his wife said that if they had eggs to get 6 ......

....... he gets back and puts 6 bottles of milk in the fridge ....

...... his wife asks why he got so much milk .....

.... "They had eggs." ......   :blush:

32 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... didja hear the one about the guy who was going to the shop to get a bottle of milk?

.......... his wife said that if they had eggs to get 6 ......

....... he gets back and puts 6 bottles of milk in the fridge ....

...... his wife asks why he got so much milk .....

.... "They had eggs." ......   :blush:

Smart man.  You never, never attempt to read between the lines of what your wife says.  Better to be thought of as an idjit by your wife than attempt to act with reason and logic and hence fall victim to the evil stare and be accused of hedonistic machismo..............or something worse...........

1 hour ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Smart man.  You never, never attempt to read between the lines of what your wife says.  Better to be thought of as an idjit by your wife than attempt to act with reason and logic and hence fall victim to the evil stare and be accused of hedonistic machismo..............or something worse...........

I was sent to the store with a list.

I got the list.

Everything on the list, but nothing extra.

My wife expressed her unhappiness.

She expected me to get her something, she expected me to get her some goodies ... and it helped not at all when I protested, "It wasn't on the list!"

I like the story of the lady that sent her husband to the store with a list. She was going to make a 7-Up pound cake, and did not have any of the ingredients.

For the first, and last, time she numbered the list - item 1, item 2 etc.

So he comes in the house with one gallon of milk, two dozen eggs, three 2 Liter bottles of 7UP, four five-pound bags of sugar, five five-pound bags of flour, six pounds of butter, seven bottles of vanilla extract ...

12 and 18 mostly around here. We get our cartons from friends that are bringing them back after we have sent them some eggs or occasionally when the hens slow down a bit when they have to actually purchase white eggs from the store.

The daughter of one friend brought us some 6's once during the spring when things had really ramped up egg wise, had her wait a minute and gathered up a bunch from the henhouse and returned her now full 6 container to her. When things are going good 16 or so hens will lay about 8-9 eggs per day so told her to bring back a 12 next visit to make it worth the time to challenge the rooster and get into the henhouse. :P

Fresh laid eggs are the best!!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I buy the dozen size: one for my kitchen fridge and one in the garage fridge for a replacement when the first one runs out.  Even though I done many folks eating eggs at my house I usually go through nearly two dozen a week.

I like eggs.  I like 'em without whites, so I use a plastic water bottle to suck the yolks out into a cup and throw the whites away.

Here in my part of Canada; 12 and 18 in the stores I shop.

When Lew and I were doing Church Breakfasts, we were buying in flats of 24 and 36 (less common) from a wholesaler we dealt with for bacon and sausage.(not Costco)

image.jpeg.1b4702767b0673731be53e99bbdf4a59.jpeg

See that indent in the lid if this egg carton?

I was in a store a few years ago and a lady asked me if I could tear or cut an egg carton in half for her as she only wanted six eggs. 
I told her that I didn’t think that’s what the indent is for. I told her I thought it was to help make the carton more rigid. 
She huffed snd puffed do I whipped out my lock-blade and cut the carton in half for her. 

When I got to the register there was the half carton of eggs the lady attempted to buy just sitting there. I asked the clerk about it snd she told me about the crazy lady that got really angry when she was told eggs were only sold by the dozen or dozen and a half. 

Since I was part of this fiasco I went back and got the other half dozen snd bought the eggs. 

I knew that lady was wrong. 

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

I like the story of the lady that sent her husband to the store with a list. She was going to make a 7-Up pound cake, and did not have any of the ingredients.

For the first, and last, time she numbered the list - item 1, item 2 etc.

So he comes in the house with one gallon of milk, two dozen eggs, three 2 Liter bottles of 7UP, four five-pound bags of sugar, five five-pound bags of flour, six pounds of butter, seven bottles of vanilla extract ...

Every month, I buy 120~150 eggs for our lodge monthly breakfast.
I buy two packages of 2x30 flats, then add a single 18 ct box to avoid excess purchase or shorting myself.

I keep an extensive spread sheet to track costs by unit price and store.
In Democrat America, our egg prices have skyrocketed (along with everything else).

Price for 2x30
$18 - Walmart
$17 - WinCO

$12 - Costco

Archived