SASS Wire Forum

How to move across the country with firearms?

sassnetguy50

What is the best procedure for moving a few firearms when the moving company is handling all truck loading, transport, unloading?  You are flying so you can't personally transport them.

Do you declare them or pack them among your things?  Is an independent insurance policy recommended or use the movers insurance?

From my reading: movers are restricted by federal law from transporting combustibles like propane tanks or bullets.  I'm not clear if they're also regulated by federal law like common carriers where the customer has to inform the transporter of the gun.  The transporter must accept it and cannot label it.

While I am not telling you to break any applicable laws, I will mentioned that wardrobe boxes work well for long guns.

And I would drive rather than let the movers transport my firearms.

We had one SASS shooter at my club who moved from CT to SC and sold a lot of his powder, primers, ammo & bullets rather than try to get the stuff to SC.

I got a small U Haul and packed particularly valuable / family things and necessities incase the Moving Van was delayed (it was!)  I sold my welding gas and had emptied the gas tanks on the tools.  Everything properly packed and secured.  Fortunately, once I crossed the border of the state I lived in, I was in Red states all the way. Smooth as silk!

I don't think it's a good idea to let the movers take them as many will not transport fire arms.  The safest way is to ship the fire arms to an FFL in the state to which you are moving.  I shipped 15 long guns (the FFL receiving them Charged a single fee for all of them.)  I sold off a bunch of fire arms to local buyers/friends to lighten the load.  If you're flying you can take handguns (they  have to be declared when checking in and require a separate TSA inspection) , but one would have to check with the airline to determine their policy   I took handguns with me as I was driving and had the room.   

I suppose it would depend on how many guns we are talking about.  It would also make a difference where I was moving to.  Two guns moving to Texas would be handled a lot differently than 40 guns moving to California.  I would not trust my guns to a moving company.  I'm thinking the Uhaul truck containing the guns, loading equipment, wife's jewelry, family heirlooms etc would be the best choice.

45 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I got a small U Haul and packed particularly valuable / family things and necessities incase the Moving Van was delayed (it was!)  I sold my welding gas and had emptied the gas tanks on the tools.  Everything properly packed and secured.  Fortunately, once I crossed the border of the state I lived in, I was in Red states all the way. Smooth as silk!

Ditto. And our mover was also delayed.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I suppose it would depend on how many guns we are talking about.  It would also make a difference where I was moving to.  Two guns moving to Texas would be handled a lot differently than 40 guns moving to California.  I would not trust my guns to a moving company.  I'm thinking the Uhaul truck containing the guns, loading equipment, wife's jewelry, family heirlooms etc would be the best choice.

And a very good lock for the door...Moving things to my state, you can have many problems...Some are OK, others they do not like...Then again they do not like any of them...The state would be much safer without any of them...

Believe that and I have some sea shore land in Las Vegas...For sale...

Texas Lizard

Talk to the actual driver of the truck he will be the person to make the decision. If you’re taking a safer cabinet a lot of times they will load the safe then let you put your guns in it and it’s a hell of a lot safer there no pun intended than in your vehicle traveling. If they are cross docking and putting your stuff in storage this may not be the best plan but I have found most moving guys will take ammo guns and pretty much anything else if you tip them.

13 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

And be real careful as to the hotel you park at on the road.  Some simple alarms attached to the doors might be justified.

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Should have mentioned, I drove straight through except for pit stops, gas, and carry out food.  I wouldn't have wanted to park that U Haul at a motel overnight even in friendly territory.

Never, ever leave anything that you value in a hotel parking lot no matter how well you THINK they are protected, especially firearms. Take your valuables into the hotel room with you. Thieves prowl the interstate/major road motels. They know exactly how to get in almost any vehicle or trailer silently and in seconds. Unless alarms are top of the line and custom installed, they are pretty much useless.

I have traveled cross country numerous times with my guns in rugs inside the safe. The last time the safe was on its back. 
This last move I used 1-800-PackRat for my household and I towed a uhaul trailer with my guns inside the safe, my ammo, primers and powders, my Cabaret pinball machine and my motorcycle in the trailer. 
Pack Rst said I couldn’t ship guns, ammo, flammables, etc in the pod. 

I would definitely verify that the carrier will take your guns. It may just be a question of doing the same thing I did before. They load the safe then you put your guns in the safe and lock it up. 

Get one of those job site security boxes that use 2 locks and loader up!  Worked well for me.  :)

Those that I know that moved in the lower 48  drove their firearms. It gets tricky if moving to Alaska and having to travel through Canada, but it is doable.  I haven't a clue about Hawaii.

We loaded all of them in the trunk of the wife's car with what paper work I had. She drove and I followed with truck and trailer at the wee hours of the morning. Once thru Massachusetts, no more worry. The safe was on the trailer!

I’ve done it 3X now and have always driven my own. Most movers can’t or won’t ship firearms and nobody that I’m aware of will knowingly ship hazmat (powder, primers, ammunition). I’ve always put sock-wrapped firearms in pelican cases. Everything else just gets boxed. Load it’s loading in the truck with the dogs (and a fish tank the last time!) and hit the road. 

14 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Those that I know that moved in the lower 48  drove their firearms. It gets tricky if moving to Alaska and having to travel through Canada, but it is doable.  I haven't a clue about Hawaii.

Moving to Hawaii it's best to use one of these, preferably in van format.

Tesla news: Elon Musk's SUBMARINE car is straight out of James Bond's The  Spy Who Loved Me | Science | News | Express.co.uk

Archived