SASS Wire Forum

TV ads

1 minute ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Yes.  It helps to mute the tv during commercials.

+1000

We mute the tv so often it has become a habit. Some days it seems like the sound is off more than it is on. 

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

GatewayKid

I don't watch TV, haven't for nearly five years now, (sure is more peaceful without all the garbage it brings into the home) but I'm sure tired of the same crap arriving as junk e-mail.

I was at Camp Lejeune during that period and the VA has me on a list to get help (if I qualify) when it becomes available.  I don't need some quack scam outfit bugging me about it several times every day.

Even if you were there but don't use the VA the VFW usually has someone to help and you don't have to be a member, just a vet.

I'm sick of them also.

BUT..... the ones that humor me are those Medicare plans that PRINT the wording across the screen while the actor is saying them.

And then when the hearing aid commercials pop up, there is not 'closed caption' on the screen.    How dumb is that.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm sick of them also.

BUT..... the ones that humor me are those Medicare plans that PRINT the wording across the screen while the actor is saying them.

And then when the hearing aid commercials pop up, there is not 'closed caption' on the screen.    How dumb is that.

..........Widder

There are hearing aid commercials?  I must not have heard them!

I only watch shows on Amazon Prime, Paramount plus and Netflix. I had not watched regular TV in years until my move across country and for a few days here in West Virginia. I could not believe the frequency and the ridiculousness of the commercials on regular “free” TV. 
Wow! It was like watching TV in a foreign land. Weird. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I only watch shows on Amazon Prime, Paramount plus and Netflix. I had not watched regular TV in years until my move across country and for a few days here in West Virginia. I could not believe the frequency and the ridiculousness of the commercials on regular “free” TV. 
Wow! It was like watching TV in a foreign land. Weird. 

..... compared with where you was, you just might be in a foreign land .....   -_-

5 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Anybody else as sick as I am of the "cancer causing waters in Camp Lejeune", or the type "C" medicare plan coverage, or the oversized yellow chicken with the "pay only for what you need" insurance?  

And they can't even pronounce it correctly.  :angry:  :rolleyes:

We don't watch network TV.  But YouTube has upped their commercials.  Most are so stupid I can't figure out their product.  My dumb TV, the commercials come through at many times louder than the programs.  I can't recall anything advertised I felt compelled to by the commercials.  

19 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I understand that. My name is spelled with an S and an E, but it's pronounced as if it were spelled with a Z and a U. Consequently most people mispronounce my name.

And we can't forget that Canadian fella that invented that semi-automatic rifle. Mr. JERR-und. Not GAREund, not gaRAND. JERRund.

My dear skinny Mama, rest her soul, told me back in the mid-1960s, that commercials were aimed at the lowest common denominator of intelligence ...

... third grade.

That was back in the sixties.

We have satellite TV and most commonly we'll watch what's recorded -- which lets us fast forward through the commercials.

Please notice there are no preceding adjectives before the word "commercials."

I'm trying to be polite here.

I'm even writing this with my very best Innocent Expression! :lol::lol::lol:

Back in the day when everyone had free tv with antennas my dear old mom used to say “‘These commercials are what makes tv free!”

Now we pay for cable AND get commercials!:angry:

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I understand that. My name is spelled with an S and an E, but it's pronounced as if it were spelled with a Z and a U. Consequently most people mispronounce my name.

And we can't forget that Canadian fella that invented that semi-automatic rifle. Mr. JERR-und. Not GAREund, not gaRAND. JERRund.

Sorry, Alps... almost correct, except the first letter is a HARD "G."   ;)

It IS "GAREund."  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

And why is it a guy with the last name of Favre ( fav re) pronounces it as Farve?

I heard (or read... don't recall which at this point) an interview with Favre a few years ago when that question was asked of him.

His response?  So many people in the media couldn't or wouldn't pronounce it correctly so he just went along with them.

Kind of like Dick Cheney.  His name is properly pronounced "Chee-ney," not "Chay-nee."  He finally decided to just go along with the media.  Reckon his daughter Liz followed suit.  (Too bad she didn't take her husband, Phillip Perry's, last name)  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Who really GABRA how it's pronounced?  95% or the foreign named places and things in this country are Americanized mis-pronunciations of something....and almost everyone knows what they are referring to.

I know exactly what and where Camp LEJUNE is.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

95% or the foreign named places and things in this country are Americanized mis-pronunciations of something

So true. Try talking to a Texan about Ahmareeyo, which is how Amarillo is pronounced. They look at you funny.

A lovely meandering thread. I wish I could think of another tangent to go off on. But I haven’t had coffee yet. ;)

On 8/30/2022 at 10:05 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Back in the day when everyone had free tv with antennas my dear old mom used to say “‘These commercials are what makes tv free!”

Now we pay for cable AND get commercials!:angry:

....... but, ... but, ..... but those commercials are free ....   -_-

On 8/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't watch TV, haven't for nearly five years now, (sure is more peaceful without all the garbage it brings into the home) but I'm sure tired of the same crap arriving as junk e-mail.

I was at Camp Lejeune during that period and the VA has me on a list to get help (if I qualify) when it becomes available.  I don't need some quack scam outfit bugging me about it several times every day.

Even if you were there but don't use the VA the VFW usually has someone to help and you don't have to be a member, just a vet.

I never have had a network TV in my home.  I find I am left seriously behind by not hearing all of the social and political indoctrination that pervades all of the programming, news, and commercial messaging.   When we visit someone who has a TV, the brainwashing, and low moral standards jump right out at both my wife and me.  

Recently, a good friend upsized his TV and gifted me his prior one.  We now watch movies on DVD or other media, but we have no cable or antenna connections.  

Reading, visiting with my wife,  guitar playing and other hobbies works just fine for me.  In my absence, the commercials may do whatever they please, without my criticism.   

There is a signal broadcast ahead of commercials so that local stations can substitute local ads. There is a debit/credit system among the networks and the local stations and cable system for who owes whom for all that.

But, imagine if you could just tell your tv to recognize that signal and mute the tv.  Not hard to do but the networks would not like it.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

yes and the Kars for Kids song 

That song is so annoying!! It’s on radio too! I can’t mute it fast enough! 

I check out DVDs from the public library system and their over 100 sister libraries.  There are thousands of titles available and my biggest gripes are when I want to watch a series and they don't ship them in order.  Minor gripe because I can order them in sequence, it just takes a bit longer.  Next is people who don't treat the DVDs right and they get scratched or dinged or have someone's PBJ smeared all over them making them unplayable.   Last is when they don't have a certain episode in the system and the one I want is needed to keep things in order and continue the story line. 

I can also go to the any library in the system in person and select from the ones on hand, and then there's the 'for sale' bin, a DVD for a buck or two.  It's rare when I can't find something to watch

My life is much simpler without the broadcast garbage i used to get.

If I want to get news there are a number of sources I can access through my Amazon Prime account, many with no commercials at all.

I also cancelled my newspaper subscription about two years ago.  The only thing I miss is the letters to the editor (not much of a loss, but it was interesting), the comics, and the puzzles.

I'm also letting my magazine subscriptions lapse.  I'm down to about twenty two now, mostly gun and sporting goods mags.  I got tired of the unaffordable latest craze guns, and the '1911 of the month articles'.  I also won't get to see all those wonderfully stupid ads that don't tell you what caliber the gun is, what colors the holsters or clothes come in and so on.  I'll keep some that are more to my style than the others, but I'll be down to maybe six or eight by this time next year.

Now if only I could get rid of robocalls and crap ads on my internet I'd be a happy man.

Archived