SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA firing pin ball?

July Smith

Second question:  Hypothetically speaking...  If I was to lose one of these tiny little boogers in an effort put it back in what is another possible source?  $5 plus shipping seems a little high for something smaller than a grain of rice.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ah, I can't think of a really good reason to take it apart :huh:

The firing pin had devolved a significant bur that was sticking in fired primers and causing binding issues.  It was simple enough to remove the cross pin, and spin the firing pin in a drill to polish away the bur.  Now the issue is getting those little balls back in.

12 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Don't they have tiny coil springs under them? I've never taken one apart with balls. 

Yeah there is a coil spring too.  It's shown in the picture and is listed as part #38.  

Go to East Hartford, Connecticut and ask the folks at Colt to "fix" it.  :)

Granted, I live in New England, and actually have that option.  

Of course, if the never ending rumor about Colt moving out of Connecticut ever prove to be more than just rumors (And for some reason I hope they never do) then maybe they'll wind up in Texas?

But that won't happen quickly enough for you.   So perhaps a more logical solution is to find a local gunsmith who can help you.   While I have never had this specific problem, I will admit to having to employ the help of one to reassemble a gun I had taken apart on more than 1 occasion.  But less then three.   I'm not gonna go down that road again!  :)

It has been a while but if my recollection is correct there is a second hole in the firing pin.  If I blow up the photo there appears to be a hole at the yellow arrow.  Drop in a ball, the spring and then the other ball and compress everything while pushing the firing pin into the firing pin hole.  Then line up the rivet hole and stake it.

730030339_ScreenShot2022-08-29at10_10_32AM.jpeg.b9fa60db68baf3f55499471fa56e83fa.jpeg

I have a lot of reference material but can't find directions. I would try to find a tube (drinking straw?). About 1/2" long to capture the spring and balls. Then insert into hole in hammer. 

First generation and some second generation have fixed pins. 

Seems to me you need a tiny piston ring tool. Or a pair of spring loaded pliers(the spring closes the pliers) that are ground to fit the pin. Capture the balls with the pliers and then push in the pin.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It has been a while but if my recollection is correct there is a second hole in the firing pin.  If I blow up the photo there appears to be a hole at the yellow arrow.  Drop in a ball, the spring and then the other ball and compress everything while pushing the firing pin into the firing pin hole.  Then line up the rivet hole and stake it.

Yes that is correct, just cannot figure out how to accomplish this.

55 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have a lot of reference material but can't find directions. I would try to find a tube (drinking straw?). About 1/2" long to capture the spring and balls. Then insert into hole in hammer. 

First generation and some second generation have fixed pins. 

I'll try this idea.

3 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Thanks!  I'll try the grease tip.

Don't forget to do it in a clear bag in case something goes flying!

Replaced mine a couple of times.  
Due to the swaged rivet in the hammer being sheared off and disassembling the firing pin assembly (during a match).  

Second time was to fix the mistakes made the first time.  
Solution - I used  Scotch tape to hold the spring and balls in the firing pin as it is pushed back into the hammer.  
At least, it worked for me.  

14 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

Didn't know those parts existed. My question, what was the reason for the improvement? Perhaps to hold the firing pin from wiggling and not aligning with the hole in the frame, my WAG.

BB

My guess also.  First and second generation with fixed pin would have to align perfectly with the firing pin hole else risk pushing the bushing out. I've noted some pins in older gun that look like they have been bent up or down. I suppose to make them align. 

In the Gen III the firing pin actually has quite a bit of allowable motion.   But not sufficient to prevent it targeting the access hole in the back of the cylinder frame.

As a reformed engineer,  I’m guessing it reduces the stresses at the back of the firing pin in the hammer, or the hammer assembly itself.  
2.3 cents opinion.

Not to mention,it gives you something to chase around the floor if you didn't know they were in there!

Archived