SASS Wire Forum

Drop Tube Size?

Cholla

My Lyman black powder measure has what I consider to be a large diameter aluminum drop tube. Some say to use 3/8 copper tube, which I have but will need to do some work to get it to adapt to the powder dispenser. Will I get better stacking of the powder by going to a smaller tube? I am going with 60-grains BP in a Starline 45-70 case with a 535 Lyman Postell bullet and it is going to take almost 3/8" of compression to get the bullet where I want it to be.

Cholla, 

use a copper drop tube.  Mine is close to 30 inches.  Then place your wad and use a compression die to get the height of the powder column where you want it.  

Gringo

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

My Lyman black powder measure has what I consider to be a large diameter aluminum drop tube. Some say to use 3/8 copper tube, which I have but will need to do some work to get it to adapt to the powder dispenser. Will I get better stacking of the powder by going to a smaller tube? I am going with 60-grains BP in a Starline 45-70 case with a 535 Lyman Postell bullet and it is going to take almost 3/8" of compression to get the bullet where I want it to be.

Adapter is easy. Use a 3/8 to 1/2 sweat copper adapter.  Now your case will fit inside the drop tube and have something to seal against.

http://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/039923/039923037183.jpg

I picked up a larger diameter arrow for free at the local archery shop. Epoxied one of those small brass funnels from TOW on the top and an O ring to seal the case. Made a stand to hold it vertical. A shallow hole under the tube to set shell holders for whatever you're loading. Works well.

In all of your experiences, is a smaller diameter drop tube better than a large diameter drop tube?

If you're shooting BP you're to filling the case up to where you need to worry about spillage! SO, why seal the case to the tube. I drop 58 grains of 2f for a 535 grain bullet that goes deep in the case, even when touching the lands with the first band.

Also, they say don't dump the powder slowly shake it into the funnel at the top. It allows for better placing and settling of the powder.

Howdy

My Lyman Black Powder measure sits most of the time on my Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive press.

Mounted this way I drop powder directly into my 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, and 38-40 cases.

pni9YhAJj

I keep spare rotors on hand that I have cannibalized from old Lyman #55 powder measures. Each rotor is set for the specific powder charge I use in a specific cartridge. When setting up to load cartridges I pop the appropriate rotor into the powder measure.  I don't know if you can read it in this photo, but the rotor all the way on the right is set to deliver 70 grains of Schuetzen FFg for my 45-70 loads.

pnQi4DC0j

This is a two Lyman two piece 24" long drop tube. I only use it for 45-70. I made the wooden stand myself. The ID of the drop tube is about .575. There is a constriction at the bottom of the lower piece of the drop tube. The diameter of the constriction is about .375. At the very bottom of the drop tube, the hole tapers open to about .520. When loading 45-70 I pour my powder out of the Lyman Powder measure mounted on the Hornady machine into the pan of a three beam powder scale, then trickle it into the RCBS funnel taped to the top of the drop tube. As you should be able to see in this photo, a 45-70 case sits nicely snugged up into the tapered hole at the bottom of the tube. No need for any gaskets, I hold the 45-70 case to steady it, and pour the powder down the drop tube. A little bit kludgy transferring the powder from the bottom of the powder measure to the funnel at the top of the drop tube, but it works for me. No spilled powder, it all goes directly into the case.

po1oZmESj

46 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

My Lyman Black Powder measure sits most of the time on my Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive press.

Mounted this way I drop powder directly into my 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, and 38-40 cases.

I keep spare rotors on hand that I have cannibalized from old Lyman #55 powder measures. Each rotor is set for the specific powder charge I use in a specific cartridge. When setting up to load cartridges I pop the appropriate rotor into the powder measure.  I don't know if you can read it in this photo, but the rotor all the way on the right is set to deliver 70 grains of Schuetzen FFg for my 45-70 loads.

This is a two Lyman two piece 24" long drop tube. I only use it for 45-70. I made the wooden stand myself. The ID of the drop tube is about .575. There is a constriction at the bottom of the lower piece of the drop tube. The diameter of the constriction is about .375. At the very bottom of the drop tube, the hole tapers open to about .520. When loading 45-70 I pour my powder out of the Lyman Powder measure mounted on the Hornady machine into the pan of a three beam powder scale, then trickle it into the RCBS funnel taped to the top of the drop tube. As you should be able to see in this photo, a 45-70 case sits nicely snugged up into the tapered hole at the bottom of the tube. No need for any gaskets, I hold the 45-70 case to steady it, and pour the powder down the drop tube. A little bit kludgy transferring the powder from the bottom of the powder measure to the funnel at the top of the drop tube, but it works for me. No spilled powder, it all goes directly into the case.

po1oZmESj

Is the revolver there to threaten the powder to fall properly???

So, it sounds like no one uses the tube mounted on the powder measure.

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

Is the revolver there to threaten the powder to fall properly???

Nope. I left it in the photo for scale.

Cholla, my drop tube is very similar to Driftwoods but I use a 1/4” brass tube instead of copper. You can find these in the hobby metal section at your local Ace hardware. It’s secured to the wooden stand I made using small screw eyes and rubber o-rings (one on either side of the eye). You can adjust up or or down to fit the case as needed. I use an RCBS powder funnel on the top. Probably cost me about $10 and an hour to make. 

Archived