SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter reload

Make do

again im not sure if its legal but if you can lay your guns on the table to reload you can grab a cartridge in each hand, load it, roll your gun sideways on the cylinder on the table with the gate open (about 2" works) snap the gate closed with your index finger to lock your cylinder as you pick your guns up and your either right on the live round or 1 off but your pretty close to ready to shoot, this was an interesting reload/shoot to figure out but im not sure how much fun it would be on the clock but worth a try 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proper way to handle this type of stage and/ or stage writing is:

Carefully consider the possible pistol staging locations, the placement and pull of your reload rounds, whether you are a left gun or right gun first shooter, direction of movement laterally and then...

Politely nod to your posse mates, carefully roll your guncart to your car, place your firearms into their cases and avoid any traffic by leaving early.

Weekends are too valuable and shoots too plentiful to waste time at poorly written ones.

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IMO...Gunfighters have options that allow them to adapt to ANY stage instructions.

There is no such thing as a "Gunfighter UNfriendly" stage.

Oh, I disagree.  Any stage that is written where there is split pistols only penalizes Gunfighters.  Especially if you are forced to shoot it double duelist.  There's a special place in Hell for people who write split pistol stages.

56 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Oh, I disagree.  Any stage that is written where there is split pistols only penalizes Gunfighters.  Especially if you are forced to shoot it double duelist.  There's a special place in Hell for people who write split pistol stages.

Gunfighter Lives Matter. (GLM)..... :lol:

Actually, a split pistol type scenario can allow a good GF to show off his/her transition skills.......... or lack thereof.

I don't like split pistol stages or the 'shoot five and move and shoot 5'.     But, I have seen MORE traditional style shooters

shoot their 1st pistol, then a long gun, then RE-DRAW their 1st pistol AGAIN because they forgot which pistol was suppose to be

the 2nd pistol.    GFer's don't seem to have this problem on split pistol stages.

Mileage varies........ but the more mileage a GF has, the more adaptable to split pistol stages and some of those stages can

become advantageous if the GF wants to make it so.

Just my opinion.

..........Widder

I am surprised that so many would pack up their gear and leave. So the stage isn’t to your liking, is it dangerous then maybe leave. I feel that someone went to the trouble to drag out all the steel, set up, write the stage, and time me, then i say thank you for hosting today it was great to  get a chance to hang out with other shooters and shoot steel. 

21 minutes ago, Make do said:

I am surprised that so many would pack up their gear and leave. So the stage isn’t to your liking, is it dangerous then maybe leave. I feel that someone went to the trouble to drag out all the steel, set up, write the stage, and time me, then i say thank you for hosting today it was great to  get a chance to hang out with other shooters and shoot steel. 

While I "may" like the folks I shoot with.

I paid a fee to shoot the match - I am spending my time to be there.

And "if" I am not enjoying myself - I feel ok to leave (no different than a restaurant where Im not happy with the food or a movie that I am not enjoying.)

24 minutes ago, Make do said:

I am surprised that so many would pack up their gear and leave. So the stage isn’t to your liking, is it dangerous then maybe leave. I feel that someone went to the trouble to drag out all the steel, set up, write the stage, and time me, then i say thank you for hosting today it was great to get a chance to hang out with other shooters and shoot steel. 

I don't see "so many" expressing that they would not only refuse to shoot the stage but would load up their toys and go home. <_<

6 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Politely nod to your posse mates, carefully roll your guncart to your car, place your firearms into their cases and avoid any traffic by leaving early.

Weekends are too valuable and shoots too plentiful to waste time at poorly written ones.

28 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I paid a fee to shoot the match - I am spending my time to be there.

And "if" I am not enjoying myself - I feel ok to leave (no different than a restaurant where Im not happy with the food or a movie that I am not enjoying.)

Of course, it's your time and money and everyone is free to join or leave the matches (and restaurants) they want. But I somehow highly doubt that the goal of that stage writer was to deliberately drive and keep away all gunfighters or to disappoint gunfighters on purpose. Maybe the writer was aware that this particular stage (one out of how many stages at that match?) was a bit challenging for gunfighters, maybe not. Imho, that's why there are different categories for different shooting styles, different equipment etc., because within a category the playfield is even. But if you (as a highly reputable and experienced stage writer) really dislike a stage that much maybe you could address that issue to the club instead of taking a French leave? Improvement is always based on constructive criticism. And if you want to keep the game alive you don't only need new shooters, you also need new stage writers and possibilities for them to become experienced. This stage was held at a monthly, not at an annual or state match or EoT. Some say monthlies are for practicing, so why not let stage writers get some practice, too? And I assume that every good stage writer had one or a couple of stages that looked better on paper than in reality. Sometimes new ideas turn out to be really fun, sometimes not so much. But you have to give it a try if you don't want to be stuck in the same only slightly varied stages. And sometimes really good ideas are inspired by bad ideas.

Btw., I was surprised by the different approaches to handle those two reloads as GF. Isn't that also an important part of CAS?

Respectfully

Equanimous Phil

There are cases where a reload or split shooting string can make a stage a lot  more entertaining and real "old west" seeming.  If the split string includes pistols, it obviously affects gunfighters differently to other shooters.  Likewise, reloads affect gf and C&B shooters differently.  That is why we have categories that level the playing field among like shooters.

Typically, in advance, I run those kinds of stage designs past some known experienced people who shoot in those categories, to be sure the stages are not grossly awkward or so problemmatic that they are

likely to wreck somebody's enjoyment. 

My experience in making those inquiries has been that most gf don't have major concerns about having to shoot  a split stage DD or about a single reload.

But a second pistol reload makes the stage much more time consuming for gunfighters, regardless of how it is handled.  It might even be better from an equitability standpoint (I'd have to give it more thought) to require 3 or 4 or 5 reloads, so that all shooter caregories have to take clock time to eject spent rounds.  I suspect the stage writer would be very unpopular if they did that, which gives us a window to see the gf issues --and suggests we might be best to just avoid multiple pistol reloads. 

I am one who prefers stage variation, over just burning up ammo on a line up of easy targets.  I like stages that are more interesting or even thematic to the old west.  They can include some  challenging (reasonably) longer shooting, moving targets, or even things like an optional  rifle reload and flying clay bird bonus (at our range we can do that safely).  Those kinds of things make people laugh and cheer each other, which is a good thing.

That's just my own preference.

But there are a lot of ways to create those interesting and challenging shooting stages without exploiting differential firearm or category limitations and reducing anybody's fun.  That ought to be the overarching goal.  10-10-4 can get pretty b-o-r-i-n-g.  But nobody likes Ps, MSVs, DQs, excessive misses, or excessive complexity. 

It's supposed to be fun.  

25 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

a second pistol reload makes the stage much more time consuming for gunfighters, regardless of how it is handled

Any chance you could clarify this?  It looks like you're painting with a wide brush, here.

18 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

again im not sure if its legal but if you can lay your guns on the table to reload you can grab a cartridge in each hand, load it, roll your gun sideways on the cylinder on the table with the gate open (about 2" works) snap the gate closed with your index finger to lock your cylinder as you pick your guns up and your either right on the live round or 1 off but your pretty close to ready to shoot, this was an interesting reload/shoot to figure out but im not sure how much fun it would be on the clock but worth a try 

I guess that works with a Ruger, but my Colts require the hammer to be cocked to rotate the cylinder, so I'd be breaking the rules when I took one hand off to load.  The best scenario seems to me to be to draw the 1st gun, load the sixth round, shoot eleven, holster the 1st gun, then load the 6th round into the second revolver and fire last shot.  Not something I'd enjoy, but then I don't enjoy either duelist or gunfighter.  But I sometimes get talked into shooting in those categories by folks that seem to want to make me shoot slower than I already do!  

OK!!  Trying for a THIRD PAGE and thrashing a basically Expired Equine,  I have to agree with Widder and Creeker.  We three have been Gunfighters for a very long time.  There have been stages written in a manner I found annoying to the MAX.  However, I enjoy the occasional "Split Pistols" so long as there is a prop to stage on.  I also get along well with "shoot-move-shoot."  I do not ever appreciate some knuckle head stage writer specifying as a Gunfighter, I MUST shoot DD.  I find that MOST annoying.  I will finish the match but will vote with my feet not to return.  I also don't appreciate overly complex stages.  Some year ago an unfortunate hospital stay, fried my short term memory.  When I know I cannot keep up with the instruction, I shoot the stage my way and suck up the "P."  After which I express my displeasure with the MD.

10 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I somehow highly doubt that the goal of that stage writer was to deliberately drive and keep away all gunfighters or to disappoint gunfighters on purpose. 

I fully agree - most things are done because someone thinks it will be fun.  A match or stage writer doing certain things with intent is a completely different issue.

Imho, that's why there are different categories for different shooting styles, different equipment etc., because within a category the playfield is even.

That is one way to look at it - you may not be wrong, but I dont necessarily agree; as I didn't write stages or matches to keep the playing field level within categories - but amongst all categories.  Allowing every shooter to perform at their very best within their chosen style - so their results could  not only be within category; but be "fairly" compared to every shooter at the match - never artificially handicapped by a stage design or requirement.  When writing matches - I mentally shot EVERY stage as a right hander, left hander, gunfighter, duelist, bp shooter, SxS shooter, 97/ 87 shooter and deliberately searched out (and removed) ANYTHING that placed an unequal burden or challenge upon a given shooters choices.

10 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

But if you (as a highly reputable and experienced stage writer) really dislike a stage that much maybe you could address that issue to the club instead of taking a French leave? Improvement is always based on constructive criticism.

Therein lies the rub - no one honestly wants to hear that their baby is ugly.  Especially from somebody "highly reputable and experienced" (thanks for that - not sure reputable is accurate tho).  And oftentimes - highly experienced is synonymous with old and behind the times.

And if you want to keep the game alive you don't only need new shooters, you also need new stage writers and possibilities for them to become experienced.

This is true - but I fought the same battles myself 20 years ago when I wrote my first stage and set my first target array.  The "highly experienced" crowd offered their constructive criticism - but in my opinion - they were wrong.  So I continued to do as I believed was correct.  I lost shooters who drifted away to other clubs or disciplines because they didn't like what I was doing; but if someone left my match - I certainly reached out to find out why. 

I learned a lot more from folks voting with their feet that I did from folks remaining and participating in unsatisfactory stages/ matches just because "someone made the effort to write the match and set the steel" .

This stage was held at a monthly, not at an annual or state match or EoT. Some say monthlies are for practicing, so why not let stage writers get some practice, too?

This is a pet peeve of mine - some shooters will never shoot an annual, state match or EOT - these shooters deserve better than 2nd class status and "practice matches".  They deserve the very best match experience possible regardless of size, cost or attendees.  A shooter may make the personal decision that a match is practice for him (they are allowed - they're spending their time and money to be there) but I never once (knowingly) put on a match that was "practice" or  "less" than the best product I could provide.

And I assume that every good stage writer had one or a couple of stages that looked better on paper than in reality.

Far more than one or a couple - probably a couple hundred over 20+ years of stage writing.  But I estimate I have written 5 -6 thousand stages

(I was match director for a couple different clubs for a number of years {18 stages every month plus annuals} - along with regularly guest writing stages for two other local clubs and even a few for clubs I have never even attended) and I have maybe written 3 times that many that never made it to the printer because of issues or perceived flaws.  Plenty of bad stages in that time.

Btw., I was surprised by the different approaches to handle those two reloads as GF. Isn't that also an important part of CAS?

It very well may be - but I look at it this way.  If broccoli is placed in front of me - some might tell me how good it is for me and others will tell me the best way to enjoy it.

And still others will say; even if you don't like it- the same broccoli is on everyones plate; so everyone has the same experience and afterall someone went thru the effort to prepare it for you.

I don't care - Ill go elsewhere.

Hopefully this is accepted in the manner I intend - not confrontational but explanatory.

Respectfully, Creeker

32 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

OK!!  Trying for a THIRD PAGE and thrashing a basically Expired Equine,  I have to agree with Widder and Creeker.  We three have been Gunfighters for a very long time.  There have been stages written in a manner I found annoying to the MAX.  However, I enjoy the occasional "Split Pistols" so long as there is a prop to stage on.  I also get along well with "shoot-move-shoot."  I do not ever appreciate some knuckle head stage writer specifying as a Gunfighter, I MUST shoot DD.  I find that MOST annoying.

Well if the goal is three pages - I will contribute more.

I shot Duelist for a few years - I was actually pretty good at it.

But I made a conscious choice to STOP shooting Duelist and become a Gunfighter - so I have no interest in being forced back into a style that I left behind. 

And the next time a supported shooter says its "only for one stage" - how about we change out your shotgun or propellant or require you to wear spurs "for one stage"?  You still cool with it?

I actually enjoy shoot 5 - move - shoot 5 scenarios (love running {ok, slow trot} with the pistols out).

And I dont even mind shoot 5 - do something else - shoot 5 as long as a staging area is provided.

The last monthly I shot - I actually engaged a stage in a manner slower than another possible way just so I could shoot it Gunfighter.

But the dual reload as referenced requires a Gunfighter to undergo a rather convoluted sequence when dealing with a firearm in both hands that is not equitable to the burden placed upon others.  

21 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Please explain.

A reload is by necessity a TWO handed operation - a gunfighter is by definition a pistol in each hand.

One of these items is in conflict with the other.

We do not have a "free" hand if shooting in category.

So we can:

Shoot Double Duelist - so we may load with the off hand (shooting in a manner contrary to my desired style).

We can draw one pistol - load one - draw the 2nd - shoot eleven - discard one pistol - load one - shoot. 

Depending on pistol type (four click clone) this may require some amount of fiddling while holding a pistol at full cock and reaching for the 2nd.

We can draw and fire 10 rounds - discard a pistol - eject ONE case from the remaining pistol and then load 2 - shooting those rounds Duelist.

So undue burden?

Case 1 - shooting out of chosen style.

No one else is required to do so to fulfill the instruction.

Case 2 - Delay between loading and putting into action (ie time to draw 2nd pistol while maintaining control of a cocked firearm)

No one else is required to perform other functions after performing their reload but before shooting.

Case 3 - ejecting a spent brass to complete reload.

No one else is required to eject before loading.

These are the only ways for a Gunfighter to comply and complete the stage - requirements not present for other categories.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.7

SHB p.42

Thanks PW. Thought most would have known to go to the SHB under Gunfighter. Guess not.

JM

2 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Any chance you could clarify this?  It looks like you're painting with a wide brush, here.

Its hard to clarify, not knowing how a particular gf would approach the stage.  But all of the 2-reload options seem more time consuming for gunfighters.

Other shooters with a free hand can simply fire the first round, open the gate and insert a round into the hole, then shoot 5.  They can quickly do that with both pistols.

But a gunfighter has no free hand for the reload.  GFs have to use one of  the options listed here by others, and all of them involve extra time consuming procedures that other categories don't have to do -- things like laying down and picking up the pistols, extracting spent cases and/or extra reholstering. 

Probably my last post on this (maybe not - dont qoute me).

But I am only speaking for myself and my OPINIONS - misguided as they may be.

I am not advocating anyone else behave in any specific fashion or suggesting that your actions or opinions are less valid than my own.

I don't like the things that I don't like.  

Nothing more than that.

Probably my last post on the subject also.

There are many opinions floating around on this thread, but I have yet to see any definitive logic to support a multiple-round reload being any more of a burden to a gunfighter than to a traditional style or duelist.  It takes the same amount of hands to perform the tasks and there are any number of ways to accomplish them, some methods more efficient than others.  But, given the frequency of this event, I don't intend to spend any time worrying about it.  Back up about 17 years ago, when I started shooting gunfighter style, handgun reloads were not terribly uncommon.  I don't recall the occasional split pistol stage, handgun reloads and the like triggering cries of "foul" and sending gunfighters running for the parking lot.

The game has changed significantly since then.

38 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

I don't recall the occasional split pistol stage, handgun reloads and the like triggering cries of "foul" and sending gunfighters running for the parking lot.

Heyya Jackalope!

I would always write a split pistol into State and Annual matches...damn...the cr@p I got from a few Gunfighters. You know...the..."I didn't sign up as a Gunfighter to shoot one revolver at a time" thing...ugh.

Not knockin' GF'ers here. But dang, there are some fun things to do in this game that isn't all that GF friendly.

Phantom

Maybe I am missing something, but even if a 2 shot reload somehow is a huge disadvantage to a GF (which I don't buy) all other gun fighters still have the same handicap.  I thought that was the reason SASS has three distinct shooting style categories i.e. Traditional, Gun Fighter and Duelist and from there they are further divided up by age, gender, black powder, etc. 

I've shot split shotgun targets that had an uneven number of KDs between splits.  Somebody who is really good with a 97 does have an advantage over somebody with a SxS, but I don't pack up my stuff and leave.  

On 8/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

I shoot BW now so I can shoot GF on stages as I wish.

If I was still shooting GF and this was a monthly I would like take the two misses.  It might be close to the same time as the two reloads and two hits.

I’m with @Kid Rich about a spirit of the game penalty. Which is only a shooting penalty - not a bad behavior penalty. 

I’ve never been at a match, monthly or otherwise, that required one much less two pistol reloads. I’ve carried pistol ammo on my belt in case of preserving a clean match on the last stage - and the clock wouldn’t really matter to me at that point. I shoot GF and don’t always shoot the same caliber in my pistols and rifle so my belt doesn’t have 32 loops… I do not think it would be enjoyable… but I would do it.  

Hugs!

Scarlett

I have shot gf ever since it was offered. I am still not good at it but I have fun doing it.  When I inherited the job of running our local match and writing the stages, I wrote mostly pistols back to back because it fit my style.  A fellow shooter, in a very nice way, pointed out writing all my stages to accommodate gf was boring for the vast majority of the shooters. He was right! So I started writing split pistol stages.  I just adjust to what the stage requires,  just like left handed people adjust.  I don't want to lose shooters but to have to keep a few people happy I have to reduce all the other people's enjoyment, not happening. 

SR

On 8/28/2022 at 9:24 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

How I'd do it. Fire first ten normally. Holster weak side pistol. Put strong side pistol in weak hand, load one and fire. Put pistol in strong hand, load one, fire and holster.

Goody, I'm with you!

Kit

I'm not convinced that its the reload(s) that might make a GF feel hindered but rather the technique(s) 

that are used by the shooters.

Example:   A traditional style shooter might shoot 1 round (or 5), open the loading gate to insert the 6th round in the empty chamber

and then fire that 6th round.

Then draw the 2nd pistol and repeat the procedure, same as the first pistol.      Twelve rounds fired, but 2 pistols had to be

manipulated in the process.

A Gunfighter can shoot BOTH pistol for 10 rounds, holster one of the empty pistols, and pop open the loading gate of the 'active' 

pistol, kick out 1 empty.....load 2 live rounds...... rotate the cylinder about 3 clicks and Pow, Pow.    Twelve rounds fired, but only ONE

pistol had to be manipulated during the process.

And there may be other techniques that the shooter is more proficient but MY thinking is if the shooter KNOWS and Familiar

with the procedure he/she needs to use,  it's probably not any disadvantage at all.   Matter of fact, it could be an advantage,

depending upon the proficiency of the GF.

I could go back to bed and dream about this little more......... but what fun would that be..... :D

Y'All have a great day.

..........Widder

Shared this discussion with my sweet and very smart hubby.  His words, “it’s something that you probably don’t practice and when confronted with something like this cold, it can be confusing. When things get confusing (at range/with guns), they can get dangerous.” 

Hugs! 

Scarlett

My main match guns are Ruger Old Armies with Kirst Konversion cylinders and Belt Mountain quick change base pins. Any reload of a pistol would be problematic for me unless I had a table or something to stage the guns on to do the reload. I’d just take the P, misses and if it were given Spirit of the game penalty.

This is a fun thread!

As a fantasy game I like to think of stuff that might have happened back in the day.

Like you're shooting a bunch of bad guys and there always seems to be just the right amount of bad guys to be picked off with 10-10-4+.

But lo and behold you've run out of ammo and there's 5 more baddies that are just begging you to send them to their maker.

As it happens there's a dead man lying on the ground and his gun is just waiting for you to pick it up and shoot all 5 bad guys.

I call it:

SHOOT THE DEAD MANS GUN!

The problem with this stage was that the dead man had expended all the rounds in the gun before he expired but he was kind enough to leave his ammo pouch. You gotta reload 5 on the clock. 30 second bonus. It was optional.

In the (near) future the Dead Man's gun will be loaded.

IMG_20190119_081919365.jpg

This seems like a pretty straight forward stage to me.  No matter what category I was shooting, I would fire 10 rounds, reholster one gun (if shooting gunfighter), then eject one empty, load two rounds in the second gun, index the cylinder and fire the two reloaded rounds with the same hand.  

I think any other way would be slower.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:23 AM, Scarlett said:

Shared this discussion with my sweet and very smart hubby.  His words, “it’s something that you probably don’t practice and when confronted with something like this cold, it can be confusing. When things get confusing (at range/with guns), they can get dangerous.” 

Hugs! 

Scarlett

Thank you!

I have to half cock my pistols to load them. At the LT I typically hold a pistol in my left hand and load with my right. I then close the gate, transfer to my right hand, rotate until I see the gap, then go to full cock and lower the hammer. Sharyn does the same.

This calls for a gun at half cock being transferred from one hand to the other twice per gun. Cock, transfer to left hand, load, transfer to right hand, fully cock, then lower the hammer. Then repeat. It also calls for decocking a cocked revolver, twice.

OR do it differently than the 1,300+ times I’ve loaded these pistols.

No thanks, give me the penalties. If that includes a SOG, so be it.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:16 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would approach this the way Tom Bullweed suggested. Skip the reload and take the penalties. After that check with the MD and skip any future matches that called for a pistol reload. If SOG was called, as Kid Rich mentioned, write that match off and never return.

I don't think you could just take the misses & avoid the reloads without opening yourself up to a FTE/SOG, earning an additional 30 seconds.

I know better but here it goes. :-)

After reading this I did some experimenting today with the slowest gun to reload....a Colt style action. These are my times from last shot to reloaded shot. Some may be quicker.

1. Traditional style: Two shot shot reload with one gun shooting traditional style: 5.3 seconds  Use to be quicker years ago.

2. Traditional style: Two shot reload shooting one round from first revolver, then loading one round and continue string and doing the same with other gun. 5.8 seconds. My reload from my first shot, open gate, put hammer on half cock, put round in empty chamber and shoot again = 2.4 seconds x 2 = 5.8 seconds. Problem with this method is you could messed up on the order.

3. Gunfighter: Had both guns out and fired one round from left revolver. Holstered left revolver and loaded two in right gun. 5.7 seconds. Put right gun on half cock and open gate while holstering left gun.

Sorry, I don't see this as a gunfighter unfriendly stage. Those who practice will succeed, those that don't.......won't. Just like it has always been.

Archived