SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter reload

Make do

A monthly match had an odd requirement. It required 12 rounds for the pistol (2 staged and reloaded on the clock). Having never done a reload as a gunfighter, suggestions as to how you would approach it? Assume that you have pistols in both hands. It did not say they had to be one for each pistol although all the other shooters reloaded one round in each pistol. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PLUS ONE for Badlands Bob.  It would depend on the specific stage instructions.  Again, If allowed, shoot 'em both dry and reload two into a single pistol.  Need more of the stage instruction.

Now there's a plus for 2 handed shooters. Fire one, open the gate and load empty chamber which is right there, close gate and fire 5 more. Repeat with other pistol.

FYI-Gunfighters are required to split rounds between hands. Load five in each gun then shoot five with right hand and 5 with left hand.  Two reloads?  One each pistol and fired one right handed and left handed.

JM

4 minutes ago, J. M. BROWN, SASS # 27309 said:

FYI-Gunfighters are required to split rounds between hands. Load five in each gun then shoot five with right hand and 5 with left hand.  Two reloads?  One each pistol and fired one right handed and left handed.

JM

No, No, No!  Gunfighters have two pistols out.  There is no requirement as to how they are fired.  You can pull two and shoot them duelist if you want to.  Badland has what I would do.  But Eyesa has a poiint.

Chancy

4 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

No, No, No!  Gunfighters have two pistols out.  There is no requirement as to how they are fired.  You can pull two and shoot them duelist if you want to.  Badland has what I would do.  But Eyesa has a poiint.

Chancy

A gunfighter is required to shoot double-duelist if not shooting gunfighter - that would require five shots with the left hand and five shots with the right hand.  Otherwise, they are shooting out of category.

Not sure how that would affect two required reloads...

I'd say it would be quicker and legal to shoot first five shots from one revolver.   Then five shots and two reloads from the second revolver.  That would be a sequence that I would call all double-duelist.

Why?  Because when a gunfighter has one revolver fail, I've witnessed the shooter be allowed to continue on with the other revolver (as duelist) and reload as needed to shoot all rounds for the string.  Which seems to be proof that a shooter can switch mid-stream from gunfighter style to double-duelist style.  Or it was not correct to have allowed such a switch.

good luck, GJ

9 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Chancy

9 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Chancy

i didn't tell anyone how to fire the pistols, only that five shots with each hand. You can shoot it any way you want that fits the category as long as it meets the requirements of the Category. 

SHB o Gunfighter style competitors must shoot FIVE rounds with each hand  regardless of how they are drawn from leather.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If the stage instructions allowed, I would shoot both pistols empty.  Then I would holster one empty pistol and reload 2 rounds into the other empty pistol.  

it could be argued and we really need a ruling from the ROC but when shooting gunfighter the intent is that each hand must shoot 1/2 of the required shots for a given stage. With 2 reloads this would require a gunfighter to split the two reloads between his pistols. 6 shots from the left hand and 6 from the right hand.

With this in mind, 

SHB Pg 7:  A Gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

Based on the below a gunfighter has only 2 options. Stage one pistol while reloading the other or shoot that stage double duelist.

Stage design may allow a competitor shooting Gunfighter style to stage or restage revolvers between target sequences. If the shooter’s hands are otherwise constrained (e.g., rolling the dice between revolver sequences), the revolvers must be drawn and shot one at a time (double duelist) unless they can be safely staged rather than holstered. In this case, both revolvers may be employed at the same time for the first five rounds, safely restaged, and then employed at the same time again for the second five rounds.

The reload, as described by Badlands Bob is perfectly acceptable for a person shooting Gunfighter.  You are not changing revolver sequences.  You are simply completing the sequence by reloading an empty gun as required.  You have holstered one empty pistol and will not draw it again during the stage. 

The only drawback to doing it this way is that you’ll have to eject at least one empty cartridge from the gun still in hand.

Shooting pistols one at a time, I MIGHT fire the first round in each gun and reload . This would put your empty chamber at the loading gate.  It’ll work best with Rugers that haven’t been reworked for half cock.

I shoot BW now so I can shoot GF on stages as I wish.

If I was still shooting GF and this was a monthly I would like take the two misses.  It might be close to the same time as the two reloads and two hits.

How I'd do it. Fire first ten normally. Holster weak side pistol. Put strong side pistol in weak hand, load one and fire. Put pistol in strong hand, load one, fire and holster.

Why write stages like that,  putting a particular category at such a time disadvantage?

There is no need to be quite that creative.  There are plenty of ways to make stages interesting without disadvantaging anybody.

31 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I shoot BW now so I can shoot GF on stages as I wish.

If I was still shooting GF and this was a monthly I would like take the two misses.  It might be close to the same time as the two reloads and two hits.

Some folks might think that would be close to a Spirit of the Game.

kR

8 hours ago, Make do said:

A monthly match had an odd requirement. It required 12 rounds for the pistol (2 staged and reloaded on the clock). Having never done a reload as a gunfighter, suggestions as to how you would approach it? Assume that you have pistols in both hands. It did not say they had to be one for each pistol although all the other shooters reloaded one round in each pistol. 

I would approach this the way Tom Bullweed suggested. Skip the reload and take the penalties. After that check with the MD and skip any future matches that called for a pistol reload. If SOG was called, as Kid Rich mentioned, write that match off and never return.

As others have stated, I would probably shoot this double duelist (one gun at a time).  However and for the sake of discussion, what about pulling the 1st handgun, then putting one round in the empty chamber (started with hammer down on empty chamber per the rules and never left the shooter's hands to load the 6th round), then shoot 6 followed by the same procedure with the other handgun? 

It depends on whether the stage instructions state: "Reload one round in each revolver" or simply "Reload two more rounds".

...and whether the reloads are allowed "at any time after the "beep" or "fire 10 rounds THEN load two more rounds".

Ref also:

Willfully shooting a stage other than the way it was intended in order to gain a competitive advantage (Spirit of the Game).

SHB p.23

BTW (before anyone asks) regardless of stage instructions:

If a particular stage requires a one shot reload, the sixth chamber of percussion revolvers may be charged at the bench and then capped “on the clock” either before the first round is fired or after the last round is fired.

SHB p.13

12 hours ago, J. M. BROWN, SASS # 27309 said:

JM

12 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

A gunfighter is required to shoot double-duelist if not shooting gunfighter - that would require five shots with the left hand and five shots with the right hand.  Otherwise, they are shooting out of category.

Not sure how that would affect two required reloads...

May I get some page and paragraph references for the above rules?

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

May I get some page and paragraph references for the above rules?

Gunfighter style competitors must shoot FIVE rounds with each hand – regardless of how they are drawn from leather.

SHB p.7

Double Duelist shooting style – revolvers cocked and fired one handed and unsupported, five shots with each hand. The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem.

SHB p.42

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Wow, just wow.

Hey, the MD can write whatever kind of match he or she wants to.  They're doing the work.  I don't judge that, but time and funds are limited; I'm there to enjoy myself, like everyone else.  Double pistol reloads are not my idea of fun, so I wish whoever enjoys that well, but I'll find something different.  In a close match gimmicks like that often determine who wins.  Many times I've gone to a match, seen a 'cool new idea' and thought to myself, whoever deals with that best will win, and they almost always do.

The reload could be anytime after the buzzer. Didn’t state one round per gun, but most reloaded each revolver.i was the only gunfighter so had no one to watch. Stages were made to practice some different things. It was fun and showed we had gotten into a rut with stages running pretty much the same way.

The "Book" only addresses FIVE from each gun.  That IT.  No buts, however, or whereas.  There is NO rule Book  requirement for the two rounds reloaded so don't try and read a personal opine into it.  The OP clarifies the stage instruction did NOT require EACH handgun be reloaded.  Which gun or guns those two reloaded rounds go into is only limited by the shooters creativity and skill.

44 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hey, the MD can write whatever kind of match he or she wants to.  They're doing the work.  I don't judge that, but time and funds are limited; I'm there to enjoy myself, like everyone else.  Double pistol reloads are not my idea of fun, so I wish whoever enjoys that well, but I'll find something different.  In a close match gimmicks like that often determine who wins.  Many times I've gone to a match, seen a 'cool new idea' and thought to myself, whoever deals with that best will win, and they almost always do.

I was wowing the idea of taking 2 misses instead of the reload. Everyone is still got to reload the 2 rounds. Laugh about it if you can't do it quickly. Remember you're not taking home a Cadillac unless you drove there in one. Have fun with it, things like a double reload aren't done that often!

I'm one of those who ain't crazy about a 'reload' scenario.  There just seems to be too many options in stage writing

to help prevent the "rut" without inducing extra reloads, etc......

BUT..... as a Gunfighter, I would shoot BOTH pistol dry and holster one of them.   THEN..... I would put both reloads in

the same pistol and shoot both rounds from that same pistol.

Our Wire Pard, Colorado Coffinmaker, stated it best....... "....don't try and read a personal opine into it".

..........Widder

This was discussed years ago.  Draw the first pistol and load the 6th rd. Draw 2nd pistol while keeping 1st pistol pointed in a safe direction. Fire 11 rds. Holster the 1st pistol and load the 6th rd in the 2nd pistol  and Fire it 

35 minutes ago, Make do said:

The reload could be anytime after the buzzer. Didn’t state one round per gun, but most reloaded each revolver.i was the only gunfighter so had no one to watch. Stages were made to practice some different things. It was fun and showed we had gotten into a rut with stages running pretty much the same way.

If you can reload anytime after the buzzer then I would reload 1 round before I started shooting then shoot 11 rounds holster the pistol that has 6 empties in it and reload the 12th round in the other pistol.

Didn't read all the replies, but here is mine. A lot of people who don't shoot GF don't think about those things when they write stages. At our club, this would likely not happen because all stages are reviewed and revived to avoid this. And if you have questions, ask before anyone shoots the stage

58 minutes ago, Lonesoms Al SASS37893 said:

I for one am not a fan of a pistol reload especially as I shoot gunfighter, but never was a fan. If all the stage writers out there would remember " IF IT'S GUNFIGHTER FRIENDLY IT'S FRIENDLY FOR EVERYONE" just my 2 cents worth.

IMO...Gunfighters have options that allow them to adapt to ANY stage instructions.

There is no such thing as a "Gunfighter UNfriendly" stage.

I shoot gunfighter but im still pretty new to the game so I tried it out but im not sure its legal, I can fire my 10 rounds gunfighter, flick my loading gates open in hand with my thumbs, lay my guns on the table, draw two rounds and slip them in the chamber, pick my guns up and shoot, have a broken a rule laying my guns on the table to reload or is that a legal staging maneuver ?

Archived