SASS Wire Forum

Shoot-Out At Camden Mills Video - A Unique Perspective

Popcorn Kelly

I recently completed one of the most ambitious Cowboy Action Shooting videos I’ve ever put together.  I titled it:  Popcorn Kelly's Shoot-Out at Camden Mills 2022 - A Unique Perspective

Click here to view the video. 

Unlike most cowboy action shooting videos, mine or others, which show single or partial stages of several match participants, this video chronicles three shooters through Illowa Irregular’s entire August, 2022 monthly match.   The three shooters, JW James, Mountain Man Champ, and Foyster O’Rippy, agreed to participate in this cowboy competition – a  sort of match within a match – with the winner being named Popcorn Kelly’s Shoot-Out At Camden Mills 2022 Champion.  All shot on the same posse. 

My purpose in creating this video is to highlight the competitive nature of our sport, often seen other sports, but not often seen in Cowboy Action Shooting.  You’ll get a sense of the ebb and flow of the match as the lead changes hands a few times. 

I’ll warn you, this is a long one, coming in at 39 mins.  Think of this more as a television show than a short stage video – a sort of Wide World of Sports episode, crude as it may be.  I also encourage you to watch it on a television if at all possible. 

While I have your attention, we have Fall Round-Up coming up September 23-25, 2022.  Get your registrations in soon. 

Illowa Irregulars Cowboy Club submitted our application to host the SASS Illinois State Championship from August 18-20, 2023.  The 2022 state championship was attended by 150 shooters from 16 states, and received rave reviews.  We are planning to host another Saturday evening dinner cruise on the Mississippi River aboard the Celebration Belle, and are planning another unique event yet to be finalized.  Look for our article in the next SASS Chronicle.  Please consider putting the SASS Illinois State Championship on your shooting calendar.  You’ll be glad you did.  Stay tuned. 

With that, this is Popcorn Kelly signing off.  Hopefully our paths will cross one day, wherever that may be. 

Sincerely,

Popcorn Kelly

8 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Cool vid....Was the reload written in the stage instructions as  off the table  ?

Glad you liked it.  Yes, the instructions read:  "extra round staged."    

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Interesting and fun to watch.   Ya did a great job producing this video and narrating.

..........Widder

Widder, Thanks.  Just wanted to do something different, and with a little more back story to it.  If I do one next year I'd like to try to do a ladies episode.  

On 9/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, Lowdown Larry said:

Very nice job, like your Wild World of Sports commenting. Cannot wait to shoot the Illinois State Championship match again and go on the Celebration Belle Mississippi river cruise, an all around awesome time.

Larry, thanks and glad you liked it.  Just wanted to give a broader perspective of a match than just showing a single shooter shooting a single stage allows.  As for the Illinois State Championship, we are already in the early planning stages.  The riverboat is booked as is the awards ceremony venue (same place as this year).   I hope to have the registration forms out in by October.  Hope you're doing well.  PK

On 9/10/2022 at 5:40 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

It is a nice video. If i was a new shooter or someone thinking about getting into Cowboy Shooting i would be intimidated. 

I think some of the not so fast shooters , would be nice for people thinking about getting into the Sport.

Bailey Creek, I agree with the sentiment you expressed, which is why many of my videos include average and sometimes newer shooters shooting portions of, if not complete, stages.   In this case, I wanted to give viewers a different look at CAS and show the inherent friendly competition that exists within Cowboy Action Shooting, not just a limited view of a single stage.  Other shooting disciplines have television shows that show shooters going head to head.  I wanted to do the same in my own crude way.  If I do one next year, I'd like to highlight three cowgirls in a similar competition.  We'll see.  This one took me about 30 hours to produce the video, not including the time filming the shooters.  

Archived