SASS Wire Forum

Handgun sights?

Slapshot

I'm curious why are the sights on 1851's and 1860's low to the barrel and sights on 1858's and 1873's allot taller? I'm currently replacing the sights on my 2 - 1858's with coins and will shoot them to get the exact height I need but was just curious too why the difference.

I'm thinking that it is because the '58 and '73 SAA have rear sights on top straps, which makes them higher from the bore than the rear sight on the hammer nose of the '51/'61.  If the rear sight is higher then the front sight has to be higher to match.  That would be separate from any differences in the design of the guns to be zero'd at a certain distance.

BTW, your signature line says "Its up to you to decide what is truth and what is merely opinion."

In my opinion, that is the truth.  :)

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The original C&Bs were also sighted for 75 yards.

Guess that made Hickok's Colt "dead-on" for Tutt in 1865.  Not sure it is documented to Model and caliber Colt used by Hickok that day.  He was credited to have been fond of '61 .36s as I recall, but also known to have converted to cartridge conversions latter. 

Bet my friend Tame Bill knows the answer.  As a Western Historian, and excellent FCD in SASS, he has simulated the shot for a television production (Outdoor Channel and/or History Channel) but I do not recall the caliber and model revolver he used.  He made it look easy.

23 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Not sure it is documented to Model and caliber Colt used by Hickok that day.  He was credited to have been fond of '61 .36s as I recall, but also known to have converted to cartridge conversions latter. 

It is pretty well documented that Tutt was killed by one 36 caliber ball to the heart from Hickok's 1851 (not 1861) Colt Navy.

Archived