SASS Wire Forum

NYPD rope length

sassnetguy50

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. Simple and effective. 

Similar to one of the tactics we got in active shooter defense training -- instead of using a piece of line, the recommendation was to use a belt looped around the doorknob and through the buckle to do the same thing.

Would be helpful to splice an eye into one end of the line issued to the officers.

So the rope keeps the cops from shooting the distraught person when they open the door:

From the article:

Now they're able to control that door and there's not a surprise all of a sudden that somebody comes out with a weapon and then they're confronted, and they have to make a split-second decision," Lukach said.

Repeatedly the article states this technique 'prevents the person from harming themselves', 

Sounds like this locks a questionable mental state person in a room by themselves so the cops don't shoot him 'accidentally'.

Ozark, drywall is concealment not cover. Knowing that people are stacked left or right just extends the fatal funnel.

1 minute ago, Texas Joker said:

So the rope keeps the cops from shooting the distraught person when they open the door:

From the article:

Now they're able to control that door and there's not a surprise all of a sudden that somebody comes out with a weapon and then they're confronted, and they have to make a split-second decision," Lukach said.

Repeatedly the article states this technique 'prevents the person from harming themselves', 

Sounds like this locks a questionable mental state person in a room by themselves so the cops don't shoot him 'accidentally'.

Pretty much it -- cut down on 'suicide by cop', and keep the family's lawyer from swooping in to demand to know why the cops didn't '. . .  just talk . . . ' to the unstable off-his-meds knife-wielding guy charging at them.

2 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Ozark, drywall is concealment not cover. Knowing that people are stacked left or right just extends the fatal funnel.

True statement about drywall -- a couple of points to consider:

1. Keeping the door closed in any way beats the heck out of just letting the shooter in. It's a last-resort tactic, not something you choose to do if you had any other viable options, such as locking the door or skedaddling. 

2. In most active shooter situations, concealment has proven to be nearly as effective as cover as avoiding unwanted high-velocity perforations.

3. Even a couple of feet off to the side beats being in front of the door. You should try it -- one person holding the door closed with a belt over the knob makes it darned near impossible to budge the door from the other side. So the shooter is somehow going to know to shoot off to the side because it's being held by a belt?

Don't disagree with those points.

Active shooters have already shown they will NOT follow the law and now THIS technique has been publicized.

When will folks realize that their security is up to them? 

If enough active shooters get stopped by citizens as soon as they start shooting I bet we see a drop in stupid.

RUN HIDE FIGHT. Should be: be prepared. If necessary defend yourself. 

Nothing new about this.  We were using lengths of rope for this and a variety of other tactical techniques in the 1980s.  Sometimes you have to "show" that you are addressing a perceived issue for the benefit of public relations.

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Back to your original question: because Jimmy Carter tied our government agencies, including state and local ones, into the metric system.

Asst. Chief:  We have $114,000 left in the "Touchy Feely" fund we need to spend.  

Sgt:  How about rope or something to jam doors till the Social Workers can get there?

Asst. Chief:  Great idea.  We have 35,000 officers.  Lets give each one of them a wedge, 10 feet of rope and a little bag to put it in.

Sgt:  I checked with my cousin and he can do the bags and wedge but can only give us 5 1/2 feet of rope for that price.

Asst. Chief:  Close enough.  Send out the press release.

1 minute ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Asst. Chief:  We have $114,000 left in the "Touchy Feely" fund we need to spend.  

Sgt:  How about rope or something to jam doors till the Social Workers can get there?

Asst. Chief:  Great idea.  We have 35,000 officers.  Lets give each one of them a wedge, 10 feet of rope and a little bag to put it in.

Sgt:  I checked with my cousin and he can do the bags and wedge but can only give us 5 1/2 feet of rope for that price.

Asst. Chief:  Close enough.  Send out the press release.

Kidding on the square.

Terrifyingly sad that we must think about and take these kinds of precautions to protect our young. 

BUT, of all the possible solutions, IMHO, this ranks near or right at the top.

SASS July 16 2022  0o1_1280.jpg

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Back to your original question: because Jimmy Carter tied our government agencies, including state and local ones, into the metric system.

That was my first thought.  The conversion comes to 16.764dm so it is fractional in metric too.  

25 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Article says 1-1/2 meter after the English measurement. Then +/- some tolerance.

And it is one more thing to put on a duty belt.

Just guessing though.

Thank you.  How did I miss that?!  The math is still confusing, 1.5 meters is ~4.9 feet.

The rope and wedge go in a nylon bag in their patrol car, not on the officer’s belt.

12 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Thank you.  How did I miss that?!  The math is still confusing, 1.5 meters is ~4.9 feet.

The rope and wedge go in a nylon bag in their patrol car, not on the officer’s belt.

I noticed the bit about the 'waterproof bag' too.

So . . . when they anticipate a crazy guy is about to bust out the door and start shooting, they'll send someone back to the car to get the rope?

7 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

So . . . when they anticipate a crazy guy is about to bust out the door and start shooting, they'll send someone back to the car to get the rope?

Maybe part of the training is to grab the water-resistant pouch when responding to an emotionally disturbed people call.

24 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I would guess that when they find out that he is in a closed room, or see him retreat into a room and close the door, they would get it.

I carried rope, chain, a padlock and oak wedges in a "go bag" in my patrol car for years.  Still got that bag with the equipment in my basement, since I don't do patrol any more.  Think my rope was a little more than the NYPD issued 5 1/2 feet, though.  

Archived