SASS Wire Forum

Black powder SAA

Buckshot Bob

Has anyone ever looked at one of these? Is it just a SAA with a percussion cyl and hammer? Guessing the fp hole in the frame might be different. Don’t know if they are good prices but Midway has BP revolvers on sale 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002297696?pid=131995

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promotionid=1652461&utm_source=hot-buy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=blackpowder-revolvers

If I recall correctly...these are not sass legal. At least in the US. They are basically made for the European market where cartridge revolvers are not allowed

54 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

If I recall correctly...these are not sass legal. At least in the US. They are basically made for the European market where cartridge revolvers are not allowed

I can't find anything about them in the SASS Rule book. I think they maybe okay. I'm not 100% sure though.

1) The model revolver in question is LEGAL in all SASS MAIN MATCH CATEGORIES EXCEPT FRONTIERSMAN --- by TG VOTE @ 2006 Summit.

SHB exception was codified in 2007 rulebook edits:

The 1873 Uberti percussion revolver is not allowed.

SHB p.10 - Frontiersman Category

2) As such, it is NOT LEGAL for PLAINSMAN sidematches.

Before anyone rushes out and buys them thinking they will be easy to convert to centerfire, if memory serves, they are specifically made to not be convertible.

PLUS ONE for Cholla

I had occasion to look at a couple when I was still in the Gunplumbing business.  They are specifically made to be very difficult if not impossible to convert to cartridge.  It would be cheaper to purchase a new SA than try to convert one.  Not surprised they are on sale.  Not real popular and folks are miss-informed about their legality.  Really really easy to "Cap" though.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:47 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Here's where SASS logic fails. An ROA which is not a replica of anything is legal. A Colt SA made to shoot C&B isn't!

It vaguely resembles a Remington. Vaguely!

5 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Here's where SASS logic fails. An ROA which is not a replica of anything is legal. A Colt SA made to shoot C&B isn't!

Well...by this criteria...SASS would be screwed.

Replica:

1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist

2: a copy exact in all details

Some of the intent behind some of the rules is for cosmetics sake...

Phantom

I'd honestly like to play with one of the cap and ball SAAs sometime. My understanding was that although they've always been offered in this country, their primary market was for England and other places where owning cartridge firearms is legally difficult.

SASS doesn't run strictly on logic, more like what is available for the average guy that kinda looks like something made in the past. Colt SAA's in percussion don't resemble anything made in the past. 

The legality and/or suitability of this revolver as a main match firearm has nothing to do with "SASS logic" or any individual's opinion.

This same question was asked here on the Wire in 2016.

FINAL WORD was settled by posting notes from the 2005 & 2006 TG Summits at which the Territorial Governors voted on the issue:

These are the excerpts from the 2005/2006 Summit minutes that were referenced in the verification that the Uberti Percussion Cattleman revolver WAS APPROVED as a Main Match pistol.

:

12. Should the Uberti 1873 Percussion Pistol be allowed as a Main match Pistol?

This pistol was approved as a Main Match pistol but not as a legal cap and ball pistol by the Territorial Governors four years ago, is it time now to allow it in the Frontiersman Category?

Rowdy Yates offered that this gun offers absolutely no advantage. He also informed the group that this gun is currently allowed in foreign countries that cannot use cartridge firearms.

2005 TG SUMMIT

Action Shooter Items

1. Should we allow the Uberti 1873 percussion revolver be allowed as a Frontiersman Category revolver?

This was miss-worded last year and is being voted on again. It was voted on in previous years as a legal main match revolver but not as a Frontiersman Category legal revolver.

All discussion from the floor was opposed to allowing the use of this gun in the Frontiersman Category. Arizona Tom offered a view on the current use of this firearm. It seems there is little use in existence and therefore is not an issue.

2006 TG SUMMIT

Archived