SASS Wire Forum

CMP...?

Received this in the morning email.

Anyone have any idea what this might be about...?  :huh:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcon

CMP Email Subscribers Update

Attention Email Subscribers: 

CMP made a mistake. We do not need our customer phone numbers, addresses or dates of birth. My sincere apologies, Mark Johnson, DCM

I received this one today 

CMP Email Subscribers Update

Attention Email Subscribers: 

Due to a new Bill in California, CMP cannot send out email communications to our subscribers without having your full address and birthday in our email database. Please click on the “Update Profile” link in the footer of this email to update your contact details. CMP will continue to send out emails to only those subscribers that have completed their profile. We will also post updates on our Facebook page and our website.

Thank you!

S.gif

Civilian Marksmanship Program | Camp Perry Training Site Bldg3, 1000 N Lawrence Road, CMP,
Port Clinton, OH 43452

They have place firearm ads in the same category as tobacco and alcohol. They do not want minors subjugated to ads that may help them stray off the straight and narrow path.

I dunno. I got it too. But they already have my info in their system. ???

CMP uses a third party to manage email & marketing (ConstantContact) and I suspect this was a premature reaction to California's new "urgent" passage of AB-2571, a hastily written, poorly drafted pice of legislation prohibiting the marketing of firearms to minors. In order to avoid a $25,000 per violation fine every marketer that automatically sends out large email blasts related to the shooting sports is trying to confirm there are no California minors on their lists. CMP has your email & birthday in their system, but ConstantContact only has your email address and no idea of what state you live in or your age.

It's likely they got their wires crossed and instead of reconciling to CMP's database where the information is already available they jumped the gun and pulled the trigger on a mass mailing to gather & confirm the information directly. Poor execution perhaps, but California's stupid legislative tactics are the root cause. I'd rather the CMP be back in the warehouse trying to find more service grade M1's than dealing with CA's temper tantrums.

If you go to the bottom of the first CMP email per their instructions to "Please click on the Update Profile link in the footer of this email" you'll see that the 'Update Profile' link goes to ConstantContact and not to the CMP.

Archived