SASS Wire Forum

College loan

Dusty Boots

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What are you talking about?

Now that Branden has forgiven college loans the taxpayer will be stuck paying them off.

33 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I don't see how he can legally just forgive $500 Billion owed to the Federal government.  That seems like something Congress needs to approve.

Congress has the purse strings . The only way he can legally do it is to run it through congress, but then everyone is going to want something to vote for it and we’ll be spending even more . 
But the law has not stopped Brandon in the past . It’s just buying votes for the midterms , I guess we’ll see if he gets away with it. 

29 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I don't see how he can legally just forgive $500 Billion owed to the Federal government.  That seems like something Congress needs to approve.

This has to be challenged, even the whack job Pelosi said a year ago the POTUS has no power to do this, it has to go through congress!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This has to be challenged, even the whack job Pelosi said a year ago the POTUS has no power to do this, it has to go through congress!

It kinda gives me the heebe jeebes to agree with her . But congress does control the check book “supposedly” 

Awe Gee, it’s not all debt, just $10,000 per person earning under $125,000 annually. No biggie, why all the heartburn. 

He said sarcastically…

One thing I have found humorous is the 10,000 in “loan forgiveness” people get is going to be considered taxable income , so it’s not really 10,000 . The government even gets theirs out of the free giveaway money . They get it coming and going, but then again so do we . We just get it in a different way. Would love to see the look on some peoples faces when they are doing their taxes next year :) , although I’m sure those that don’t work will make out , if you want to call it that . 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It kinda gives me the heebe jeebes to agree with her . But congress does control the check book “supposedly” 

Don't get too excited just yet... from yesterday's Deseret News:

In July 2021, Pelosi said "People think that the president of the United States has the power for debt forgiveness.  he does not.  He can postpone. He can delay. But he does not have that power. That has to be an act of Congress. And I don't even like to call it forgiveness because that implies a transgression. It's not to be forgiven, just freeing people from those obligations."

On Tuesday, August 23, 2022, she said she “didn’t know what — what authority the president had to do this. And now clearly, it seems he has the authority to do this.”

As Biden announced the plan Wednesday, Pelosi called it a “strong step” in Democrats’ fight to expand access to higher education.

“By delivering historic targeted student debt relief to millions of borrowers, more working families will be able to meet their kitchen table needs as they recover from the pandemic,” she tweeted.

But it doesn't matter, as his party (not him!) owns both the House and the Senate.  Heck... they own him too!  :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This is true, but no one seems to be talking about it. Even the wicked witch P said last year I think it was, that the prez had no authority. But it seems in typical fashion that the libs can do whatever they want without fear of consequences. Imagine the furor if President Trump had tried this.

I have no sympathy for the kid who went to a decent college, majored in philosophy and can’t find a job better than flipping burgers.

there are many ‘colleges’ that are loan mills, they accept kids who can’t make it just so those kids can get loans and pay big fees and flunk out. The feds know this and continue to let those ‘colleges’ get loans for unqualified kids. Those ‘colleges’ should be shut down.

When I was manager for phone company, about two thirds of my techs had college degrees. All them got dirty doing outside phone work as it paid double what their education would have if they could find a job. Although they did use their psychology training to to their advantage!

Ah ha… a plan. Since we have assumed  a college debt, maybe we should all apply for college debt loan forgiveness…Uncle Sam, I prefer direct deposit. Thanks in advance. 

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Congress has the purse strings . The only way he can legally do it is to run it through congress, but then everyone is going to want something to vote for it and we’ll be spending even more . 
But the law has not stopped Brandon in the past . It’s just buying votes for the midterms , I guess we’ll see if he gets away with it. 

The attitude in this video has gone nationwide

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The attitude in this video has gone nationwide

It’s sad , at least I can understand the democrats going along to get along. But the republicans should be calling them out on it . Just lends more credence to the argument that there’s not much difference between politics and professional wrestling 

The problem with these "illegal" actions (another example is Obama's Dreamer madate) is that by the time it is litigated it is five to ten years later and the action has become a fait accompli.

Gee Whiz... I worked my way thru college and paid it all myself 100% until I was able to get a job as an engineer in my "senior year".  That company paid a portion of my tuition and I paid the rest.  It took a might longer than 4 years as I had to work classes around a full time job to pay for them.  Think I can get a refund on what I paid?

5 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Gee Whiz... I worked my way thru college and paid it all myself 100% until I was able to get a job as an engineer in my "senior year".  That company paid a portion of my tuition and I paid the rest.  It took a might longer than 4 years as I had to work classes around a full time job to pay for them.  Think I can get a refund on what I paid?

Bout the same here. Followed in dad's footsteps, applied for every grant and scholarship I could think of and while school, working as a part time mechanic, grill guy at McDonalds and a bouncer on the weekends ain't sexy or high paying they got the job done. Took about 3 years after college to pay loans back, but finally got them fulfilled. Dad did all that while raising a family as well. Examples of responsibility, work ethic and love for family seem to be lacking amongst those who think others should pay for their parties, overpriced class work (with minimal value in the real world) and cool video systems/computers with lots of games on them. (just how many gender studies majors does it take to glut the market for them anyway?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 8/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s sad , at least I can understand the democrats going along to get along. But the republicans should be calling them out on it . Just lends more credence to the argument that there’s not much difference between politics and professional wrestling 

Yes, there is a difference. In wrestling, the blood that is spilt is the wrestler's own blood. Politicians would never spill their own blood.

4 minutes ago, Muggle said:

This is utterly BS, I paid mine by working and sweating but others get forgiven because the big guy wants people to like him.

Aren't ya just lovin him? :ph34r:

I was lucky enough to have my employer pay for my school during my apprenticeship. And that right there tells you that education is worth something, at least to that employer. They would reimburse for just about anything you wanted to take that had to do with a job you had or could possibly attain at the company. But that didn’t include underwater basket weaving or gender studies. I did often wonder if it was a tax write off for them though. 

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was lucky enough to have my employer pay for my school during my apprenticeship. And that right there tells you that education is worth something, at least to that employer. They would reimburse for just about anything you wanted to take that had to do with a job you had or could possibly attain at the company. But that didn’t include underwater basket weaving or gender studies. I did often wonder if it was a tax write off for them though. 

Of course it was.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Of course it was.

Well if it was I guess I’m a participant in corporate welfare. But the government has got their money back out of me , unfortunately. But if it’s a good write off it sure would be nice if more companies offered continuing education to their employees. I know allot of people that got a trade, BS or master’s degree because of it . The only contingency’s I can remember were having to stay a year after completing the class and getting at least a C in the class .  

This nothing but a bribe in an attempt to get the young people to vote for the Drooler in Chief in November. 

Will it work remains to be seen, I kind of doubt a person owing $100,000 or more in college loans is going to get all excited that a lousy $10,000 (pre tax) is being taken off what they owe.  I also don't think a lot of voters are going to be very happy that the approximately $500 Billion it will cost to do this  will come out of their pockets.

3 minutes ago, Chantry said:I kind of doubt a person owing $100,000 or more in college loans is going to get all excited that a lousy $10,000 (pre tax) is being taken off what they owe. 

It’s only a good deal for the politicians. I’ve heard this will cost each taxpayer $2000 so what you pay in taxes will vary depending on how much you make , so if the person has a job they are really only getting about $6000 out of it . Which is no life changing amount. But better than a kick in the shorts I guess. 

Makes ya wonder what's gonna happen when all of us old farts paying the freight are gone and the entitled have no one to get the handouts from.:ph34r:

Archived