SASS Wire Forum

SXS Question?

Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L

Well I purchased this Stoeger SXS a while back for Tullamore Dew to shoot. Action work was said to have been done by a well known gunsmith. It was pretty slick when we got it. Thought she wanted to switch back to a double.

She finally decided she was ready to switch. Practiced loading it, got comfortable with it and off to the range we go. She fires it with our light Cowboy loads and it pops open. I fire it and it stays closed. So I run a few rounds through it and then it pops open when I fire it. Check the top lever, it is not moving when firing. Put a stiffer top lever spring it, still opens when firing. Although now I can pop the action on hinge and it pops open. Must be lever lock. So I purchase a new one from Midwest Industries. Install it, with some fitting required. Test fire the gun and it stays closed. So off the range. About 20 rounds into the test session it starts to open on firing. Just about an 1/8 of an inch this time. So… this leads me to believe the lugs, which have been ground on and polished are the issue. Thinking specifically the locking surface probably had to much material removed. 

Thoughts?

Use black marker and paint the lugs on the surface that engages the lock.

You are looking to see how much of the lock engages the lugs.

If it is popping open, the lock is not engaging the lugs far enough.

The lever will move to the closed position but the lock is not fully over the lugs.

I have found on older Stogers that the lug will develop a lip or ridge that the latch hits and stops on, not letting the latch go all the way. Make sure that the lug is smooth all the way over the area the latch slides on. If that is not the case then the spring (even though it is a new one) may be too weak to keep it closed upon recoil.

Mine started doing the same thing. Ended up taking a bunch of material off of the top lip of the locking bar to let it travel farther forward into the lugs. It’s been over a year now and have not had any issues. 

Sam Sackett 

I shoot baikals now but when I was shooting the stoegers I had this same issue. I did exactly what thing Sam did and It fixed the issue for me also. 

JEL

Archived