SASS Wire Forum

Little WW2 history help

Alpo

This is a reenactor.

downloadfile.thumb.jpg.4222537f60b0c4a6e7f7b9b0061c1d6e.jpg

He's a little chubby, in my opinion, for a World War II Marine, but he's not as chubby as me so I'll let that slide. :D

But I noticed he only has one pocket on his utility shirt. Is that correct? I have not seen any USGI military shirt or jacket that did not have two breast pockets. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force - did not matter. Got a left and a right. For some reason you're apparently not supposed to carry anything in them, but they are there.

6 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

image.png.b0c038b7e223a930c297efd5acad1f4d.png

Boy that guy sure looks happy to be wherever he's at. :mellow:

As for the picture of the re-enactor, I've always found it funny how Civil War, WW2 etc re-enactors are always twice as old and twice as big as the kids who actually fought in the real thing.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

This is a reenactor.

downloadfile.thumb.jpg.4222537f60b0c4a6e7f7b9b0061c1d6e.jpg

He's a little chubby, in my opinion, for a World War II Marine, but he's not as chubby as me so I'll let that slide. :D

But I noticed he only has one pocket on his utility shirt. Is that correct? I have not seen any USGI military shirt or jacket that did not have two breast pockets. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force - did not matter. Got a left and a right. For some reason you're apparently not supposed to carry anything in them, but they are there.

In garrison you keep your pockets empty to present a neat appearance. In combat, you stuffed em.

Well, in the 60s that was the case. With the new unpressed baggy uniforms I doubt it’s a thing anymore.

Nobody looking like that would have made it through boot camp. ;)

Also, the Marines issued green t shirts during the war. The army did not.

38 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

WW2 etc re-enactors are always twice as old

35 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And usually way too clean. 

34 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And closely shaven, too.

The guy that posted the picture said that is his 16-year-old son. That might have something to do with how close the shave is, although he is rather clean.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The guy that posted the picture said that is his 16-year-old son. That might have something to do with how close the shave is, although he is rather clean.

Blouse is a little short but club patch is on decent (they are a Iron On ) 

Jack Lucas who I knew  "Enlisted"  at 14, on Iwo Jima He saved the lives of three men… just six days after his 17th birthday for which he was awarded the MOH .

44 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

That picture gets around That was Saipan , not a pleasant Place at the time

Sobering   Thank You

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

As for the picture of the re-enactor, I've always found it funny how Civil War, WW2 etc re-enactors are always twice as old and twice as big as the kids who actually fought in the real thing.

I found the whole picture that that part came from. He was helping carry a dead buddy on Saipan

image.thumb.jpeg.46b8f4daf5603e8ae51cb73abd06a225.jpeg

ETA: Ever hear of the ‘1000 yard stare’?

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Reenacting cost money, it’s hard for for people who are the ages of most combat soldiers to afford. Soldiers get issued equipment, reenactors have to buy it…….

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

At least he’s keeping history alive. Good for him.

Archived