SASS Wire Forum

ear plugs: impulse or digital - your experience

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

HRowdy Cowboys,

I wear hearing aids. If I use regular ear plugs, I can't hear the timer. I have 2 remaining "sonic" or impulse plugs that let me hear the timer, but since my earring aids are not in my ears I have real trouble with conversations (a big part of hanging out with my cowboy buddies.) Also, I'm not sure they even make the impulse or "sonic" plugs anymore.

I've looked at the digital plugs on line and must admit that I have learned enough to be totally confused as to what I should consider. Rechargeable models don't seem to offer enough time between charges. Battery models would let me change batteries mid match if needed. Plus the reviews on both are all over the place.

I'm so confused. Please help me with your experience and recommendations.

Rev. Chase

These were recommended to me by Kow Patty Karla.  Used my Cabela credit card points and bought a set.  Tried them at a SASS match and a 22 LR match.  I can now hear the 22s hitting steel!  Time will tell.

image.thumb.png.e78ce8338d2d21447b19366b943695f9.png

I also wear hearing aids and until recently have used earplugs.  But I had to take them out to hear the instructions and could not hear the timer going off when I had them in.   I recently acquired a set of Peltor Tactical 100 electronic hearing protectors.  They work great for Skeet & Trap but the head band goes over the head and will not work with a cowboy type hat.  I liked the Peltors so much that I found a set of head phone type by the same manufacturer with a behind the head band. (there Tactical 6S model).  They work almost as good as the Tactical 100 and I can wear my cowboy type hat and keep my hearing aids in.  Also recently our club got a new timer that besides the Beep it also has a light that flashes when the button is pushed.  The TO can put the timer where the shooter can see it and when the the button is pushed both the beep sounds and the light flashes so the shooter knows to start.

I simply tell the timer, "Make it loud!"  As to "sonic" ear valves, I used them in the 1960's. As a right-handed high-power rifle shooter, the majority of the muzzle blast hits the left ear.  The principle of the ear valves was that they would close fast enough to block damage. THEY DID NOT! As a result, I am almost completely deaf in my left ear (wear two hearing aids, with the left one transmitting to the right one.  By the time I figured out what was happening, Lee Sonic was out of business, or I would have sued the living hell out of them!

Haven't been shooting since the pandemic, and now hot weather, but have custom fitted plugs, plus I wear a muff on the firing line.  The over-the-top-of-the head band works fine...with my cavalry kepi!

The sonic valves don’t offer enough protection for a match.  The nrr is quite low in actual use.   Electronic hearing protection is the way to go.   Digital or analog doesn’t really matter, they both work far better than sonic valves.  

unfortunately solid plugs work best.  That means for maximum protection, you should wear plugs with electronic muffs so you can hear.  Not easy to do with a cowboy hat.  I have a pair of defend ear from Westone.   They work ok for lower db levels but double protection is a must for things like big rifles and indoor ranges. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

These were recommended to me by Kow Patty Karla.  Used my Cabela credit card points and bought a set.  Tried them at a SASS match and a 22 LR match.  I can now hear the 22s hitting steel!  Time will tell.

image.thumb.png.e78ce8338d2d21447b19366b943695f9.png

I do not wear hearing aids but I do use these Walker ear buds. I have to say that they are excellent! They allow for conversation and ambient  sound passthrough and the volume is adjustable.. they block the rapport but you can hear stage instructions and conversations perfectly. I cant tell you if they’re loud enough to make up for hearing loss but they are pretty loud.  I consider them an essential part of my gear. 

I bought the cheap battery-operated Walkers and they worked well...for about 30 minutes.  One crapped out the first match and the other lasted about two more.  Even with brand-new batteries they don't work at all.  I guess you have to invest in at least middle-of-the-road priced ones or you're just throwing your money away.

I have some experience with the Walker Ear buds.  They worked but fit me poorly and were difficult to change batteries.   The buds use hearing aid batteries.  They would last for a three-day match if turned off when not in use but would be dead a week later even if turned off.  (This is the nature of air-activated batteries.)  I now wear rechargeable hearing aids and have a backup pair of single channel hearing amplifiers that are also rechargeable.  Both can be used for about a day and a half before needing recharging.  When shooting CAS I prefer a pair of muffs that fit under a hat.  I can change batteries quickly if they die during a match.  I can get a month's worth of shooting on one set of lithium batteries.

You get what you pay for with hearing protection electronics.  Cheap models may turn off for much longer than shot noise is present and may have objectionable buzzing or humming.  Keep doing your online research and avoid products with mediocre ratings.  

I have had very good luck with Etymotic GSP15 electronic ear buds.   They use inexpensive hearing aid batteries.  The batteries are good for about 2 weeks of use. The buds are not digital, they are analog.  Gun shots are reduced in volume rather than clipped out.   This means you can still hear other sounds, like the TO’s voice, while shots are fired. 

I have used the same pair for five years with no problems. 

Here is a link to the description for the GSP15. https://www.etymotic.com/product/gun-sport-pro/

image.thumb.png.f1994344fee7e3e1b912549d9e1a4ebd.png

these guys are rechargeable. The ear buds charge from sitting in their case and you charge up the case overnight. The case can charge up about 3 matches without needing to be charged again…  and ear buds last the entire match and then some. No worries about fumbling with tiny batteries. 

I bought a set of the Walkers (not sure if it's the same model mentioned) it reduced the firearm report but the ringing steel was really loud.  Quit using them.

I started out using foam ear plugs.  Did a great job of muffling the gunshots but couldn't hear people speak either.

For Christmas got a set of Walkers ear buds (approx. $129.00).  Did not like them, my ears were ringing after the match.  I returned them.

Decided maybe the Walkers were too inexpensive so bought a pair of Etymotic GSP15 electronic ear buds ($369.00) based on reviews I read on the net.  A little better in sound deadening and can hear people fine but still didnt like them.  The problem seemed to be that they shut down the report of the gun but then opened up a split second later (right when the bullet was hitting the steel) so it really hurt my ears.  Still have them but don't use them for cowboy.  Probably will be good for target shooting.

Just got a pair of Safariland passive impulse ear plugs ($20.00).  Call still hear people speak (just a little muffled) but really shuts down the firearm report.  Just a slight bit louder then foam plugs.  Ears did not hurt or ring after the match. I really like them and will be using them for my matches.

3 hours ago, Crusty said:

I bought a set of the Walkers (not sure if it's the same model mentioned) it reduced the firearm report but the ringing steel was really loud.  Quit using them.

May have been a different model than the one you had… these have volume control using on board buttons and also through an app on your phone.  You can raise or lower the volume to your comfort level….. these are usually about 240 bucks if i remember correctly… I would buy them again in a heartbeat… and plan to equip my wife with her own pair when she starts shooting matches. 

3 hours ago, El Catorce said:

May have been a different model than the one you had… these have volume control using on board buttons and also through an app on your phone.  You can raise or lower the volume to your comfort level….. these are usually about 240 bucks if i remember correctly… I would buy them again in a heartbeat… and plan to equip my wife with her own pair when she starts shooting matches. 

Yes, that is the bluetooth model which is a more expensive model then I had.  Have a fellow pard on my posse that has those and he likes them.

Thanks Pards,

I just ordered the fancy Walkers ear buds. They seem to have the most recommendations. That being done, I don't yet need any further thoughts on ear buds, especially any negatives. I'll have to see for myself how they work out. If they don't do what I'll need, I'll be back with a report and ask for further alternatives. 

thanks for the thoughts,

Rev. Chase

Lots of previous threads about this.  I don't know what your hearing is worth to you, but mine is worth a small fortune to me.  So I had custom hearing protection made for me.  The electronic part is a set of Otto NoizeBarrier® Micro high-definition and rechargeable electronic earplugs.  They are simply unbelievable.  The battery charge actually seems to last days, and they recharge from a lithium cell in their storage case.  I have no idea how many weeks of day-in day-out use they will go without the case needing recharging.  They are so good because they are not designed merely to separate sportsmen from their money -- they are for people who work in very noisy industrial environments.  The standard mushroom tips fit ok but not great, so the in-ear tips are custom-made for me to fit the Otto plugs by a company called Sensaphonics in Chicago, which makes top quality hearing protection and is world famous in the music industry for equipping musicians so that they no longer lose their hearing from a lifetime of performing high volume music.  The whole set up runs to about $800.  In comparison to the value of my hearing, that is truly peanuts.  And less than one more Ruger Vaquero.

20220829_194520.jpg

To me, one of the most interesting things about getting custom plugs is that you see why cylindrical foam or even mushroom tips don't do a great job of sealing off the eardrum from dangerous pressure waves.  There is virtually no part of my ear canals that is round in cross section.  A cylindrical plug large enough to seal off the top and bottom of the canals would never fit in cross-wise.

Archived