SASS Wire Forum

Antique Pooler & Jones Shotgun Belt Restoration From The 1800's

Rube Burrows

Could't find that I ever posted this here but this is a write up I did. Its a Pooler & Jones style shotgun belt from the 1800s. 

The famous John Slaughter photo of him with his 1887 Shotgun wearing a similar belt is what made me want to restore this one. 

JWheeler331: Pooler & Jones Boss Shotshell Cartridge Belt Restoration

• Rube Burrows changed the title to Antique Pooler & Jones Shotgun Belt Restoration From The 1800's

That’s really top notch!!  I like it a LOT!

I wonder if it is SASS legal with the brass shell holders, but I absolutely don’t much care!!  It’s too cool!!

18 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Oh, thanks a LOT, Rube! Now I gotta have one.

My thoughts, EXACTLY!!

There was a pard here on the Wire a couple of years ago that built one very similar to this, I can’t remember his alias. I believe he was from North Carolina.

Lunger Dan posted pictures of the one that he built awhile back. Looked a lot like this one and he did an excellent job.

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

That’s really top notch!!  I like it a LOT!

I wonder if it is SASS legal with the brass shell holders, but I absolutely don’t much care!!  It’s too cool!!

Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal.

SHB p.3

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project and I’m happy to give the old shotgun belt some new life. Haven’t used it in sass yet but have used it on a couple hunts. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Lunger Dan posted pictures of the one that he built awhile back. Looked a lot like this one and he did an excellent job.

I actually talked to him about some things before I did this one. 

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Oh, thanks a LOT, Rube! Now I gotta have one.

Hope you find yourself one. They are pretty neat. Many of them I have seen have canvas belts but some do have the leather belts. 

13 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Great job!...I bet the verdigris has a field day if not careful.

Like any brass and copper items if left unattended for a long time it will def. build up on it. 

have an original belt.

011e.jpg.39ca44a6d9b7be4e3160e1376859feeb.jpg

And my Pard Castalia made a bunch of steel holders many years ago, and I mounted them on a belt.  Look close in this picture and you can see them.  I cold blued them to prevent corrosion.

IMG_20151111_0001.thumb.jpg.66e9dd41cf349ff25e967f6347fbe3b3.jpg

9 hours ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

have an original belt.

011e.jpg.39ca44a6d9b7be4e3160e1376859feeb.jpg

And my Pard Castalia made a bunch of steel holders many years ago, and I mounted them on a belt.  Look close in this picture and you can see them.  I cold blued them to prevent corrosion.

IMG_20151111_0001.thumb.jpg.66e9dd41cf349ff25e967f6347fbe3b3.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. 

Archived