SASS Wire Forum

CA to stop selling gas-powered cars by 2035

Sixgun Sheridan

3 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

People do tend to keep their ICE cars at a half tank. That ensures they will all run out of gas at about the same place. On the other hand, an EV sitting idle decrements the vehicle range slowly, while idling ICVs do so much more rapidly. 

Fixed it for you.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Crusty Knees said:

Trying to figure out how long a recharging stop would actually take for an EV is darned confusing to me. 

A Level 3, also called a fast charger, will take you from 20% to 90% in about half an hour, and the technology is improving.  Look for CHAdeMO, CCS (combined chargimng system), or Tesla chargers for fast charging, although CHAdeMO is being phased out and CCS replacing it.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

All this Umbrage and discontent!!  My my.  15 plus commentaries and only 1, yes, just ONE, actually from California.  Interesting.

Being a very recent former resident of the state I believe your count is off by one. ;)

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you don’t believe the article that’s your choice. I’m don’t know what else to say other than I don’t think you know anything about EVs !

Asa electrician I don't think batteries are going to be more efficient at running a heater than the transmission lines in a house. Power usage is power usage. Unless the EV's heater is some miracle heater that uses very little power to heat the coils then its going to eat away at the battery. Heating coils by nature draw more amps than most other electrical components. I'm not saying you don't know about electronics but ......

21 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

But I do know about electricity, electronics and batteries. But your right I don’t know much about EV’s . Every time you transfer power even it the most efficient systems their is a loss . 

Exactly

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

True enough But as the article says very little , Apparently the batteries for the EVs are designed to minimize drainage?? Just guessing here……

Just guessing but maybe the media is writing not so truths to push the EV agenda? I mean like we haven't seen this type propaganda in the media for quite some time. 

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Let's see..... heating, what, 25000 cubic feet, running a bunch of lights, television, washer, electric dryer, dishwasher, computers, toasters, maybe stove and oven versus heating maybe 100 cubic feet in a car....

Yeah, no difference at all.

LOL spoken by a true EV convert. Power usage is power usage, whether it is in a EV or a house. But it also shows you don't understand basic electrical principles. Maybe by you a Ugly's book and do a little reading. I'm sure you will find there is no electrical formula's for say a house and separate ones for a EV.

EV's can work for a few or maybe some people in cities with very short commutes. For those in rural areas or states without a huge amount of large cities they will never work. 

Oh lets not forget the electrical grid can't support every family switching to EV's. Kind a like having a 100 amp breaker and putting enough on it to draw 1000amps. Not going to work.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'll take the EV that is at 95% because I had plugged it in at home over the the car that "I'll gas up next time I go out" and is at 1/4 tank and dropping as I idle in a traffic jam watching the gauge drop toward E.  I seem to recall that in the major evacuations due to hurricanes gas has been a huge issue - people in a mile long line at a gas station, gas stations run dry.  People complaining to reporters that they are almost out of gas and can't find any.  

So, which would YOU take?  A car that will get you at least 150 miles or one that might get you out of the major metro area?

We can both keep inventing "What if...." scenarios all day

Apples to oranges. 

You are comparing a fully charged EV to a gas vehicle with 1/4 tank. You also make the assumption that EV owners are going to be better at keeping their vehicle topped off. I guess they magically change into different mentalities after buying a EV and will always keep them fully charged.

If both are topped off I'll take the gas burner. If the gas burner only has half a tank I'd still take it. Hell I drive a older truck and get better than 250 miles range on it. I also drive right at 250 miles to work. And I drive to the coast areas and that is during hurricane season also. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A Level 3, also called a fast charger, will take you from 20% to 90% in about half an hour, and the technology is improving. Quickly destroying your batteries capacity.

Fixed it for you.

Unless they somehow defy ohms law, or made out of some miracle material they aren't currently using for any other batteries currently on the market. 

Its really sad to be truthful.

While EV's can be a good choice for some. On a whole they are not a good choice for others even if we had the electrical grid to support them. But alas we don't. We see more and more rolling brown outs and blackouts for lack of enough electricity to supply to consumers. I guess it will just go away once we are all forced to by EV's.

Wonder how long it will take Airlines to switch to EV planes? Oh wait they won't so why I'am I going to have to? Oh yeah to save the planet.

SMH

9 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Fixed it for you.

Unless they somehow defy ohms law, or made out of some miracle material they aren't currently using for any other batteries currently on the market. 

Yeah, if that is the only way you change.

In a year and a half of using a fast charger an average of once every 2 weeks an the rest of the time using the Level 3 at home I've seen about a 1% loss of battery capacity.  I guess my battery is made of a miracle material.

4 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

While EV's can be a good choice for some. On a whole they are not a good choice for others even if we had the electrical grid to support them.

BINGO!!!!

FINALLY!!!! An anti-EV advocate admitting that for some they are a good choice!  

Satan must be selling ice skates.

23 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yeah, if that is the only way you change.

In a year and a half of using a fast charger an average of once every 2 weeks an the rest of the time using the Level 3 at home I've seen about a 1% loss of battery capacity.  I guess my battery is made of a miracle material.

No one item will degrade the exactly the same. All you have to do is look at batteries in cell phones. Hell mine is less than a year old and its down to 87%. Funny thing about batteries.

21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

BINGO!!!!

FINALLY!!!! An anti-EV advocate admitting that for some they are a good choice!  

Satan must be selling ice skates.

LMBO, I don't think anyone in this thread has said EV's won't work for some. But on a whole they will not work for the masses.

Now if you could just admit the same not only would hell freeze over but the 7 layers of the abyss would also.

I'm curious as to how much fossil fuel is used to mine the lithium etc. to make the batteries and build the EVs compared to just driving an ICV. Most of the car is plastic and not recyclable. I suppose gas jobs are as well. 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, PowerRiverCowboy said:

But social media and news will feed you what they want you the think

My wife is now seeing it commonplace where Facebook twinkies are calling each other "comrade."

28 minutes ago, bgavin said:

My wife is now seeing it commonplace where Facebook twinkies are calling each other "comrade."

Isn't this Wire just more social media?

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A Level 3, also called a fast charger, will take you from 20% to 90% in about half an hour, and the technology is improving.  Look for CHAdeMO, CCS (combined chargimng system), or Tesla chargers for fast charging, although CHAdeMO is being phased out and CCS replacing it.

Maybe.  Depends on the charger, car, and temperature.  The dcfc I have used are only about 40 kw, so they won’t be charging a 150kwh pack in that time.  I believe Tesla’s chargers are 150kw which could do that, but it will have an impact on battery life.  Even Tesla only claims 1500 cycles.  It is less if every one is a full charge by fast charge.  

I know they are planning to upgrade the chargers, but they need to be installing 350kw+ chargers to keep up with what is coming.  That’s a lot of power.  Even at 480 V, That’s over 700 amp service to each charger.   Overnight charging is really not an issue for the infrastructure as there is lots of spare capacity at that time of day.  Although most of that energy is not green.   The problem will be when you have 1000’s or millions of cars trying to fast charge at once.  That’s a huge amount of power.  Once you start looking at the the amount of power used by transportation vs a typical house you can see why we use liquid fuels.  

A typical house is maybe 40kw service and it doesn’t pull that very often if ever.  Than means a single fast charger is about 10 homes.   

3 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Asa electrician I don't think batteries are going to be more efficient at running a heater than the transmission lines in a house. Power usage is power usage. Unless the EV's heater is some miracle heater that uses very little power to heat the coils then its going to eat away at the battery. Heating coils by nature draw more amps than most other electrical components. I'm not saying you don't know about electronics but ......

I didn’t say I knew anything about electronics, I was referring to the article I pasted. It wasn’t my words! 

3 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

8F4A5302-DF7B-4D59-8AC2-93A3A244CD75.jpeg.6ab3e2ab5d5afe222b0074e1c461fb39.jpeg

Wonder what one can get for trade in on a used EV with needed battery replacement compared to a Fossil fuel fired one with an empty gas tank?? 

Didn't know it cost so much, no wonder many are investing in Lithium stock.

32 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Wonder what one can get for trade in on a used EV with needed battery replacement compared to a Fossil fuel fired one with an empty gas tank?? 

Didn't know it cost so much, no wonder many are investing in Lithium stock.

Considering a  say 2019 Volt with 2k miles is 26k probably not much of a trade in personally at that point do you dispose of it and use that as down payment for a new one :)

5 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Gee that is nothing, except over half the average yearly income of most families. 

Move along people nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I’ve heard there’s rebuilt batteries that are less than half of that. I heard that on CarPro radio show. 
?????

10 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Maybe.  Depends on the charger, car, and temperature.

OK  IN GENERAL you can go from 20 percent to 90

percent in half an hour.

BUT, if you have an 8 year old battery that you fast charge to 100 percent every other day it might take longer, especially if you are trying to charge at temperatures between negative 40 F and negative 40 C.

(Note to self, don't try to edit a post on your phone while cooking dinner, especially when your phone keeps going to sleep and kicking you out of the site)

9 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
6 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I call bs on this one.  I know when I checked on a replacement battery for my Bolt (60kwh vs 20 of the Volt) they were around $12k.   I believe the volt was around $6k.  Still, a used ev can be a money pit as the battery is the engine.  No battery, no go.   Batteries are expensive and I don’t believe the price has come down as much as expected.   

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

I call bs on this one.  I know when I checked on a replacement battery for my Bolt (60kwh vs 20 of the Volt) they were around $12k.   I believe the volt was around $6k.  Still, a used ev can be a money pit as the battery is the engine.  No battery, no go.   Batteries are expensive and I don’t believe the price has come down as much as expected.   

Price come down? Have you not looked at the price of all goods since this admin has went into office? If anything that 12k and 6k have probably increased 50% in cost.

Thats still 12k to 6k every 5-7 years. I'd say a money pit.

19 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wonder when California will ban jets and airplanes from flying in their airspace. I would bet planes cause as much emissions as all the cars combined. 

How cool would it be for Pelosi, et al to have to find alternative green methods of going back and forth to and from DC…Washington, not direct current…though I would like to see how she fares with a DC total body work out. Dance Nancy, Dance…

Good Lord, don't give the lunatics more ideas! :):)  :):) 

Don't remember the year, but a few of them ago the Sierra Club, politicians and some other activists startled a campaign to ban the use of ALL diesel trucks in California. IIRC it gathered quite a bit of support before someone used a brain cell and figured out that not only would prices skyrocket but that there was no viable alternative to get the goods distributed across the states without the trucks!

Similar thing here: auntie p's nephew is panadering to libs and illegals and completely ignoring the damage it will do to our infrastructure and economy.

9 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

I have a good friend who used to be a GM stealership service manager . I don’t know if this figured is accurate. But I do remember him telling me how much it cost to replace a volt battery and being shocked . The standard gasoline powered vehicles is already a money pit , this just exasperates the situation 

17 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

The VIN is legitimate. 
https://www.chevyvindecoder.com/VOLT/2012/1G1RB6E4XCU113962/

https://m.driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

The invoice is probably legitimate. Probably due to supply and demand. 
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08/heres-how-much-a-2012-chevy-volt-battery-pack-replacement-could-cost/

No options at Rock Auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2012,volt,1.4l+l4+electric/gas,1501836,electrical,hybrid+battery,19714

One thing I discovered is the “battery assembly” that seems to be referenced on many websites by “bloggers” (ie: clueless attention seekers) to validate their idea that the batteries are “affordable”, are referencing the tray assembly and not the cells that go in the tray. The tray seems to run around $9000 price wise. The cells don’t seem to be listed. 

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Notice that none of the usual information in on that receipt?  It showed up on Reddit out of thin air.  That part has been discontinued.  

Spent Many years in GM parts , Not unusual  , Not Known to many but a car Manufacturer only has to have replacement parts for 7 years anything after that they can discontinue , There lies another issue what to do after that 7 years .
The Volt has been discontinued as a model various reasons (fire . quality issues )

Here is your aftermarket  2012 Volt battery

https://www.greentecauto.com/hybrid-battery/chevrolet/volt/chevrolet-volt-battery
That's 10k on backorder plus will have to be shipped LTL truck .

Now I don't hate EV's they are impractical as hell here,  you said 150 miles  range that would never work here as distances may be 250-300 miles here between places to charge because   Scenic SD don't have EV charging and not some place you want to be stuck . BTW a leaf battery  is appx 5500.00

Me personally I don't care what you drive , that's your choice , My issue is someone telling me what I have to use , that's like Me telling you opps no more pistols for you caliber to large  Here use these bb Guns instead better for you .  

volt.PNG

On 8/29/2022 at 7:32 AM, Slapshot said:

EV's can work for a few or maybe some people in cities with very short commutes. For those in rural areas or states without a huge amount of large cities they will never work.

I think Gavin Newscum and his ilk want to force most of us to move back into the cities. That way we're more easily watched and controlled. Only wealthy people will continue to live out in the country.

Archived