SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

SALAD

As promised, the Start Of The Pinned Receipts Thread.

To start with, I'm going to put a few simple rules in the starter post for this thread:

1.) Start the post with a category such as BREAD or CHILI, SOUPS, AND STEWS, MEAT MAIN DISH, EGGS, etc.  to make it easier to find things using the Search function.

2.) Only one recipe per post, again, to make it easier to find.

3.) Use the LIKE and THANKS buttons rather than a reply of Sounds Good and such, this will limit the number of posts as I can see the thread getting unwieldly very quickly.  Questions for clarification, critiques, possible modifications are fine.  

4.) If you cut and paste a receipt please post the link also.  This should avoid any copyright issues.  While the INGREDIENTS of a recipe can't be copyrighted, the front matter, notes, and instructions can.  

So, onto the First Receipt, the idea of which is inspired by @Buckshot _Bob

The receipt itself is an adaptation from a Weight Watchers recipe.
Yes, recipes used to be called receipts.  

BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON, ONION, AND HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING.

Ingredients

4 to 6 cups Broccoli, cut into small bite sized pieces

Half a Red Onion or 2 Shallots thinly sliced.

4 slices Bacon, cut into half inch wide lardons

1/3 cup Golden Raisins (optional)

2 TBS Honey

2 – 4 TBS Grainy Mustard*

Vinegar**

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Method

In a large skillet over medium heat cook Bacon until crisp, remove from pan and drain on paper towels (or cloth towel).  Reserve about 2 TBS of the bacon grease in pan Add Honey and stir until melted. Add mustard, vinegar, raisins, and onions.  Stir to combine. Add Broccoli and toss to coat.  Season with Salt and Pepper, remove from pan, add Bacon and toss. 

*Use almost any Mustard you like EXCEPT yellow mustard.  That doesn't work well in most dressings.

** I like Cider Vinegar, but it works well with Red Wine Vinegar, Champaign Vinegar, White Vinegar, UNSEASONED Rice Vinegar.

NOTE: by changing up the type of Mustard and Vinegar you use you can change the taste of this so it never gets boring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

MEAT         MAIN COURSE     VEGEMITE

CRISPY VEGEMITE PORK

Ingredients
1 to 2 pounds (about half a kilo to a kilo) Pork Belly or Pork Loin

2 to 4 TBS Vegemite

6 or more cloves Garlic (optional)

Ground Black Pepper to taste

Method

Heat oven to 350 F (175C)
Score skin of Pork Belly or fat cap of Pork Loin in about 3/4 inch diamonds.  Pierce pork in several places with tip of knife
Slice Garlic and insert slices into meat. 

Rub all over with Vegemite, season with Black Pepper

For Pork Belly:
Braise in wine or beer until almost done (internal temp of about 140 F about 60 C), then transfer to oven until dark golden brown and delicious.  

For Pork Loin:

Roast in oven until internal temperature of 160.

Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.  

• Thanks 1

Flatbread 

1 Roma Tomato

1 Green Pepper

Ranch Dressing

Shredded mozzarella cheese

Olive oil

Spread ranch dressing on flatbread

Place flatbread(s) on lightly oiled(Olive oil) pizza pan.  Cover Flatbread with ranch dressing (I like a thin coat). Cover with mozzarella cheese(I like a thinck coat). Add sliced Roma tomato and Green peppers.

Bake at 400 degrees for 9-10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Flatbread 

1 Roma Tomato

1 Green Pepper

Ranch Dressing

Shredded mozzarella cheese

Olive oil

Spread ranch dressing on flatbread

Place flatbread(s) on lightly oiled(Olive oil) pizza pan.  Cover Flatbread with ranch dressing (I like a thin coat). Cover with mozzarella cheese(I like a thinck coat). Add sliced Roma tomato and Green peppers.

Bake at 400 degrees for 9-10 minutes.

I do something similar with just plain old bread, preferably sourdough.  Lightly toast the bread - just barely get color on it.  Thin layer of Ranch, thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced onion, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, pop it under the broiler.  

• Like 1

CHICKEN

Made this for breakfast over the weekend:

Shredded Chicken Latkes 

Russet Potatoes - peeled and finely shredded
Onion, white – grated
Eggs – 2 or 3
Green Onions – chopped, green and white parts
Flour – about half a cup
Shredded Chicken – 2 or 3 cups
Salt & Pepper to taste.  I also added a bit of Savory Spice Shop Renaissance Garden Seasoning..

Quantities will vary some.  If you are making this for 2 people, 2 or 3 potatoes and 1 or 1 ½ cups of chicken will be enough.  If you are making it for 6 you will obviously need more.  Use your head on proportions. 
Wash and peel potatoes, then grate on your finest grater.  Put into a mesh strainer over a bowl and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.  Set bowl aside to let starch settle out. Grate onion on fine side of grater (same as you used for the potatoes).
Pour liquid out of the bowl taking care to not disturb the starch in the bottom AND DISCARD THE LIQUID.. 
Put everything into a mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to mix well.  You may have to adjust the flour if it is too thin.  
Use a large pan (I used a 14” sauteuse) over medium heat.  Have enough oil to come about half way up the latkes.  Use a #30 disher (roughly 1/8 cup) to dish batter into pan and press down into a cake.  When golden brown and delicious (GB&D) on one side, turn and cook until second side is GB&D.

Make chicken gravy to go with them.  Or have plain.  Or use your favorite smothering or dipping sauce.  
As with all my recipes – PLAY WITH IT!  You are cooking for YOU not for me.  Use this as a starting point.  Pulled pork latkes, anyone?

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CHICKEN

And how, you may ask, do you get the shredded chicken?

Shredded Chicken
Chicken, Whole, 1 each. 
Onions, 1 or two – roots trimmed off, then the onions quartered – leave the skins on.
Carrots – 3 to 6, top cut off, and then cut the carrots into 2” pieces.
Celery – 3 or so ribs, cut up like the carrots.
Garlic – 2 to a whole bunch of cloves.  Smashed with a knife and then the big pieces of the papery skin removed.
Pepper corns – maybe a dozen or so.
Salt – 1 tsp to 1 TBS.
Bay leaves – 3 or 4.
 Pull off the big chunks of fat, cut off the vent (or leave it on).  Put the chicken and the neck in a stock pot along with everything else.
Cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.  Let simmer for an hour.  
Remove the chicken from the water and let cool until you can handle it. Keep the pot on a low simmer.
Pull the meat off the bones and put it in a large metal bowl.  Put the bones back in the stock pot and increase the heat to a hard simmer.  When it has reduced by about a third, strain it and put the stock in hot jars.  It will keep in the fridge for a week or so.

Now – get out your electric hand mixer and use that to shred the chicken.  
Yeah – you got it – your electric mixer.  Makes the tedious job of shredding the chicken take about 4 or 5 minutes, mixes up the light and dark meat, and gives you a very even product.

• Thanks 1

Texas Cattle Drive Baked Beans

Violet Peacock & Cheyenne Ranger SASS L #48747

This is a recipe that is great tasting the first day and even better the next.  A bowl of beans along some homemade cornbread will satisfy the heartiest appetite.

The portions listed are for a large oval roasting pot.  Adjust as necessary.

Ingredients

4 cans commercial baked beans, we like Bush Baked Beans

2 cans diced or crushed tomatoes

1 ½ cups dark brown sugar

2 cups molasses

1 can tomato paste

1-2 pounds of bacon

1 large yellow onion, 10-15 or Vidalia are what we look for

1 package shredded carrots, can use carrot chips or whole carrots chopped

1 large garlic bulb

1-2 jalapeno peppers

1-2 green peppers, optional

3 Tbsp Cumin

3 Tbsp Paprika

Salt

Water as needed

Directions

Put the oval roasting pot over medium heat

Cut the bacon into 1 inch stripes

Cook bacon till brown, drain and save 

Save some of the grease, enough to fry the onions plus other vegetables.

Dice the onion green peppers and garlic, if using whole carrots chop these

De-seed, remove the inner membrane and chop the jalapeno peppers.  Do not use your fingernails to remove the membrane or the seeds—the juice will find its way into your eyes

Add all to the hot grease.  Cook till translucent (for a slightly different taste you can add everything but the onions and bacon when the tomatoes go in without cooking them first)

Again drain off the grease, save the vegetables

Now return the vegetates and bacon to the pot over medium-high heat

Add the baked beans

Add the crushed/diced tomatoes

Add the tomato paste.

Add dark brown sugar

Add molasses

Add half the Cumin and Paprika and check for taste.  Add entire amount if you desire

Salt to taste

Add enough water to bring level to within 2 inches of top of roaster

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer

Stir occasionally and for first 3 hours keep adding water as needed

Final 2-3 hours allow beans to thicken, don’t add water but do keep stirring

Allow to sit until it’s cool enough not to blister you tongue and mouth.

Then grab a slice or two (or ten) of corn bread and a bowl of beans and enjoy.

Might want to stay down wind of the herd for a spell.

Edited by Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

SOUR CREAM.  SESAME SEED.  APPETIZERS AND DIPS.

Need a fast dip!  

Take 1/4 cup of Sesame Seeds, 2 cups of sour cream or plain yogurt (I prefer sour cream)- if you don't have 2 cups you can use a pint, a little Worcestershire Sauce, and maybe a few drops of pepper sauce.

Toast the seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring and tossing frequently until a golden brown and they look glossy from releasing their oils.  Add the hot seeds to the sour cream and mix well.  Let sit about 5 minutes, then taste.  Add Worcestershire Sauce, salt,  pepper, and pepper sauce to taste.

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Texas Cattle Drive Baked Beans

Violet Peacock & Cheyenne Ranger SASS L #48747

This is a recipe that is great tasting the first day and even better the next.  A bowl of beans along some homemade cornbread will satisfy the heartiest appetite.

The portions listed are for a large oval roasting pot.  Adjust as necessary.

Ingredients

4 cans commercial baked beans, we like Bush Baked Beans

2 cans diced or crushed tomatoes

1 ½ cups dark brown sugar

2 cups molasses

1 can tomato paste

1-2 pounds of bacon

1 large yellow onion, 10-15 or Vidalia are what we look for

1 package shredded carrots, can use carrot chips or whole carrots chopped

1 large garlic bulb

1-2 jalapeno peppers

1-2 green peppers, optional

3 Tbsp Cumin

3 Tbsp Paprika

Salt

Water as needed

Directions

Put the oval roasting pot over medium heat

Cut the bacon into 1 inch stripes

Cook bacon till brown, drain and save 

Save some of the grease, enough to fry the onions plus other vegetables.

Dice the onion green peppers and garlic, if using whole carrots chop these

De-seed, remove the inner membrane and chop the jalapeno peppers.  Do not use your fingernails to remove the membrane or the seeds—the juice will find its way into your eyes

Add all to the hot grease.  Cook till translucent (for a slightly different taste you can add everything but the onions and bacon when the tomatoes go in without cooking them first)

Again drain off the grease, save the vegetables

Now return the vegetates and bacon to the pot over medium-high heat

Add the baked beans

Add the crushed/diced tomatoes

Add the tomato paste.

Add dark brown sugar

Add molasses

Add half the Cumin and Paprika and check for taste.  Add entire amount if you desire

Salt to taste

Add enough water to bring level to within 2 inches of top of roaster

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer

Stir occasionally and for first 3 hours keep adding water as needed

Final 2-3 hours allow beans to thicken, don’t add water but do keep stirring

Allow to sit until it’s cool enough not to blister you tongue and mouth.

Then grab a slice or two (or ten) of corn bread and a bowl of beans and enjoy.

Might want to stay down wind of the herd for a spell.

That sounds right tasty, kind of a spicy Boston Baked Bean.

I might try cross moginating it with:

Pork n’ Beans with Hot Dogs

½ to 1 lb Bacon, diced (cut the slices lengthwise in half, then chop)

2 or 3 Onions, diced

2 or 3 packages Hot Dogs, cut about ½” to 1” long.

1 #10 can Van Camps Pork & Beans (or 4 each 28 oz cans)

About 1 to 2 TBS Italian Seasoning.

About 1 TBS Colemans Dry Mustard

About half a cup each of Dark Brown Sugar, Prepared Mustard, Tomato Catsup (adjust these to your taste…heck, adjust ALL the seasoning to your taste – you’ll be the one eating it).  Some Cider Vinegar, start with ¼ cup and see how it goes.

A good pinch of Dried Aleppo Pepper Flakes.  A little Salt and a bunch of Ground Black Pepper.

Saute’ the bacon in a soup pot over medium high or high heat, when it starts to brown add the onions and stir.  Stir a couple of times while they are browning, you don’t want them to burn.

When they start to brown add in the hot dogs.  Stir. Put in the Italian seasoning, dry mustard, salt, and pepper now. Stir.

When the hot dogs start to brown reduce heat to low, add in the beans and stir well.  Then add in the brown sugar, mustard, catsup, and vinegar.  Stir well.  Let simmer for at least 15 minutes, stir every few minutes to make sure the beans don’t scorch. 

Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.  Serve with bread, or biscuits, or tortillas, or crackers.  These are great the 2nd and 3rd day cold with crackers.

• Like 1

EGGS

Now that I'm retired and fixing supper so it's hot and ready when the wife gets home from work, I also fix breakfast on weekends.

Cackle Berries are high in protein without excess carbs unless you throw some in which I don't. Also bear in mind I am just naturally lazy so here goes.

FRAMED EGGS

Also called hen-in-a-nest or chicken in a nest.

INGREDIENTS:

Olive oil, enough to fry in, depending on the size of your fryin' pan and your preference. 

Four slices of your preferred bread, I like something with more authority than plain white bread, it tends to be too fragile for my purposes

4 tablespoons each of:

Finely crumbled crispy bacon

Diced peppers

Diced onion

Add a quarter teaspoon of diced garlic if you like.

Do not add chocolate chips, they don't go well with eggs.

Take four slices of bread, cut out the middle so the crust forms a frame.

Add olive oil to your fryin' pan, my wife got a square one that will just fit those four frames if they are on friendly terms, otherwise they get wrinkled up some and that looks unprofessional. 

It's important to have professional looking eggs.

Drizzle a little oil over the tops of the frames.

Grab that spice shaker marked ROSEMARY GARLIC and scatter some in the bottoms of those frames. You can also use coarse pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion or whatever would tickle your fancy. Use floor sweepin's for all I care, you're the one eatin' the things, not me.

I do not recommend chocolate chips, they don't go well with eggs.

Crack an egg into each of the frames, I recommend having your pan heated up enough so the egg will set up fairly quick and not run all over hell and breakfast, otherwise you'll have to cut them apart and sometimes they don't cut cleanly.

To your freshly decanted egg ("decanted" ... like that fancy word?) add diced peppers, diced onions, do not add chocolate chips, they don't go well with eggs.

I will not even discuss pineapple.

I like to throw some pepper at them at this point so the eggs don't look to bare naked and generally I'll add finely crumbled crispy bacon with the peppers and/or onions.

Turn once, fry until done, throw on a plate with a couple slices of buttered toast unless you've got biscuits. I recommend butter and honey for split open biscuits. You can add chocolate chips to the split open biscuits if you really want but don't feed 'em to the hound dog, chocolate is bad for dogs.

Serve with coffee, hot tea, Kentucky Drain Opener or whatever you usually start your day with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

FRAMED EGGS

Also called hen-in-a-nest or chicken in a nest.

Do the eggs scrambled in the bread.  Then take two of them and use them as the bread for grilled cheese

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A messy one to clean up after, cooking now, a Bobby Flay Moussaka.  Photos will follow.  Veg from our own garden, Lamb from a Local producer.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/moussaka-recipe-1923618

If the forum is to work, it will need good spirited contributors and moderator powers for the founder. 

Edit: Tasty, need a deeper, smaller pan.

image.thumb.jpeg.7cfb80f04e835a4a3a0f76f84b43f585.jpeg

Edited by Rip Snorter
  • Thanks 1

Some years ago I submitted this for the Cowboy Cookbook (I think that was the name) here.  Backstory is that someone asked me for the receipt of the chili/stew I made for our reenacting unit.    This is what I wrote down.

A DISH OF ODDIMENTS OF MEATS, WELL SEASONED WITH A SUFFICENCY OF SAVORY SPICES, AND MESSED FORTH WITH INDIAN BREAD, USEFUL FOR FEEDING A NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHEN THERE IS NOT A SUFFICENT QUANTITY OF ANY ONE MEAT TO MAKE A MEAL

Or Spicy Meat Stew, if ya wanna short name……

Get your fire going and stoke it good so you will have a decent amount of coals to work with.

Might as well hang your kettle over this to start getting water hot, too.

While the fire is burning down, cut up your meat - beef, pork, chicken, lamb, whatever -

in about 3/8" dice and dredge it in seasoned flour. Cut up an onion or two and crush & paste some garlic (crush it with a knife, sprinkle it with salt, and use you knife to smear it into a paste).

By now you should have enough coals to work with, so pull some out of the fire - enough to make a bed about the size of your dutch oven (12" works good), but leave a space about 4 or 5 inches in the center clear of coals. Set your oven over the coals. Add some grease of some sort - oil, shortening, bacon grease, and get your onions going. When they are soft, but not brown, add the meat.

Stir it about some. Add powdered cumin, ground black pepper, a little ground coriander, chili powder, and a little each of hot, sweet, bittersweet, and smoked paprika, and a touch of chipotle chili powder.

Stir it around some. Check and adjust seasoning. Add a little chicken stock, stir. Put the lid on and put a ring of coals around the rim of the lid. Set a slightly smaller oven (10") on top of that to start heating up, throw some chopped bacon into that one.

Have the lid for the 2nd oven sitting on something clean and put some coals on top of it so it will get hot. While it is heating take about 3 cups of cornmeal, one cup of flour, some salt, a little baking powder, a little baking soda, and mix them together. Add one beaten egg and about 2 cups of buttermilk - if you don't have buttermilk you can use 2 cups regular milk clabbered with about 2 or 3 Tbs of cider vinegar. Mix this up into a batter. Make sure that the bacon in the 2nd oven has rendered out a lot of the fat (you don't HAVE to use bacon, you can use Crisco, butter, oil, but you need some

hot fat).

Swirl the oven so the grease coats the bottom and at least an inch up the sides. Pour in the

batter and put the lid on. About every 10 minutes, give the oven a quarter turn clockwise and the lid a quarter turn counter-clockwise, this helps even out hot spots. Cornbread should be done in 30 to 40 minutes. And the meat will be done about the same time as the cornbread. At some point about half way through cooking the cornbread, you will want to check on the meat.

If there is too much liquid you can either thicken it up with some couscous, roux, or cornstarch, or set up more coals to put the cornbread on, add some coals under the meat and let the sauce reduce with the lid off. Towards the end of the cooking, your water should be boiling so you can make your coffee. Use your favorite method.

Turn the cornbread out of the oven, cut it for serving, butter it if you want. I like to crumble it in the bottom of my bowl and mess out the meat on top of it. And have a chunk of it on the side with honey or molasses for dessert.

N.B. you will need to check your coals from time to

time during the cooking to make sure you keep your heat. If you have cornbread left over, split it in half the next morning and fry it up in the fat from the bacon or sausage that you cooked for breakfast.

Good way to do biscuits, too.

• Thanks 1

Pork (bacon) Fried Rice

Take 5 or 6 slices of bacon & slice into small pieces. Start stir frying until the bacon grease releases & bacon is cooked the way you like it, then add 1/2 cup of chopped onions & 1 tsp chopped garlic. Fry until translucent, crack 2 or 3 eggs & scramble them until done. Add 4 cups cooked but cooled or cold white rice (if you use hot rice you’ll end up with a mushy mess). Pour roughly a tbsp of cooking oil as you stir, add 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 or so tbsp soy sauce more or less to your taste & some black pepper. Stir fry until nicely mixed & hot. Topped with chopped green onions & your ready! I also like it with sriracha on top & you can add frozen peas, carrots or any vegetables you want when you put in the rice! The pic’s of the brands I use but any will do!

You can also use different proteins like diced chicken, sautéed beef, diced spam, ect.

image.jpg

Edited by Canton Chris
Forgot to list the eggs!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roasted Beet Salad

1 red beet

3 golden beets

large handful of arugula 

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

6 oz. crumbled blue cheese

balsamic vinaigrette to taste 

Peal and wash the beets and brush with olive oil and roast in the pellet smoker for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees and then wrap individually in aluminum foil and roast another 1/2 hour. I like the beets a little firmer. The kitchen oven may have different results. I usually roast them the day before I make the salad to let them cool down, if you’re roasting the beets the same day you can chill them in a bowl of ice cubes and water. When cool dice into 1/2” sized cubes. I prefer to keep the beets separate by color until final salad mixing, keeps the red out of the gold.

I like to mix and toss the salad just before serving instead of mixing it and letting it sit, keeps the red out of the gold and things stay crispier and crunchier. 

Toss the beet cubes with the vinaigrette and add the arugula, dried cranberries and blue cheese and add the walnuts last toss one more time and serve.

The reason I don’t give the amount of vinaigrette to use is that my wife likes very little in her salad and I like more so you’ll just have to adjust as needed. 

I’ve served this to a number of people that say they don’t like beets but this changed their minds. Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Roasted Beet Salad

1 red beet

3 golden beets

large handful of arugula 

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

6 oz. crumbled blue cheese

balsamic vinaigrette to taste 

Peal and wash the beets and brush with olive oil and roast in the pellet smoker for about 30 minutes at 325 degrees and then wrap individually in aluminum foil and roast another 1/2 hour. I like the beets a little firmer. The kitchen oven may have different results. I usually roast them the day before I make the salad to let them cool down, if you’re roasting the beets the same day you can chill them in a bowl of ice cubes and water. When cool dice into 1/2” sized cubes. I prefer to keep the beets separate by color until final salad mixing, keeps the red out of the gold.

I like to mix and toss the salad just before serving instead of mixing it and letting it sit, keeps the red out of the gold and things stay crispier and crunchier. 

Toss the beet cubes with the vinaigrette and add the arugula, dried cranberries and blue cheese and add the walnuts last toss one more time and serve.

The reason I don’t give the amount of vinaigrette to use is that my wife likes very little in her salad and I like more so you’ll just have to adjust as needed. 

I’ve served this to a number of people that say they don’t like beets but this changed their minds. Enjoy.

That sounds good enough that I copied it and save it to my receipts file, both as Salad and as Light Meal.  When I went to save it I found that I already had a "Roasted Beet Salad" saved.  I think it was from a Weight Watchers cookbook.

Roasted Beet Salad
 4 Medium Beets (red or golden), peeled
Arugula (about 2 cups)
Fresh spinach (about 2 cups)
1/3 cup Walnuts, crushed
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBS Lime Juice
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup dried Cranberries
 Peel four medium sized Beets with a potato peeler and brush them with Olive Oil and wrap individually in aluminum foil. Put them on the grill for about an hour 175 degrees and then turn the temp up to 275degrees for the last hour. 
Let the Beets cool after they were firm but soft to the touch. After they cool cut them into ½ inch dice. 
Stir liquid ingredients thoroughly and then pour over the Arugula, Spinach and Beets and toss. Add the Walnuts, Cranberries, and Goat Cheese and toss again. 

I think your version sounds better.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1

Sandwich

Banana n/cheese sandwich

Ingredients

2 - Pieces bread of choice

1 - banana, halved and sliced in half longwise.

- Cheddar cheese sliced thin. Enough to cover two pieces of bread.

- Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise of choice.

Directions 

Spead Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise generously on one side of both pieces of bread.

Place cheese slices on both pieces of bread.

Place sliced bananas on one piece of bread.

Cover with other piece of bread.

Options 

Cut in half. I don't suggest it as it's going to be sloppy already.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sandwich

Banana n/cheese sandwich

Ingredients

2 - Pieces bread of choice

1 - banana, halved and sliced in half longwise.

- Cheddar cheese sliced thin. Enough to cover two pieces of bread.

- Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise of choice.

Directions 

Spead Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise generously on one side of both pieces of bread.

Place cheese slices on both pieces of bread.

Place sliced bananas on one piece of bread.

Cover with other piece of bread.

Options 

Cut in half. I don't suggest it as it's going to be sloppy already.

Enjoy!

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  It sounds like a 1930s Depression receipt that was resurrected in the 1950s.  Do you know where it came from?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  It sounds like a 1930s Depression receipt that was resurrected in the 1950s.  Do you know where it came from?

I really don't know. Probably came from my mother's side of the family. I remember my Great Grandmother making them for my brother and me when we were kids. She was born in 1894 and lived well into her 90's. My mother's side of the family were farmers in Florida from the mid 1840's on up, they had a large farm outside of Springhead Fl. I'm pretty sure that things were just as bad for them as it was for most other folks during the depression...I guess it could have come from then. For the record, Great Grandma made the absolute best banana puddin'.

Go ahead and delete this post after reading. It's not a recipe, just a memory.

Edited by Cypress Sun
Correction of G. Grandma's birth year.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

MEAT         MAIN COURSE     VEGEMITE

CRISPY VEGEMITE PORK

Ingredients
1 to 2 pounds (about half a kilo to a kilo) Pork Belly or Pork Loin

2 to 4 TBS Vegemite

6 or more cloves Garlic (optional)

Ground Black Pepper to taste

Joe,

Dontya think you’ll need a bit more garlic to kill the Vegemite taste? :)

Seamus

Soups

Green Veggie Soup!

Used a variety of veggies...the darker green, the better.

Brussell Sprouts

Mustard Greens

Leek

Onion

Green onion

Turnip

Shataki Mushroom

Celery

Carrots

Pressure cook for about 5 minutes after 'rockin' starts.

In 6 cups of water, 2 Tbs of BETTER THAN BULLION :Rosted Onion

Garlic, salt and pepper to taste!

Enjoy

IMG_20220826_204837193.jpg

• Thanks 1

STEW    CABBAGE   MUSHROOM

This is especially nice on weekends during the Nativity Fast.  For weeknights leave out the olive oil or substitute vegetable oil or margarine.  I think Badger Mountain Charlie would have approved of this.

BIGOS (VEGAN)

Author: Magda | ideliciate.com

Serves: 8-10

INGREDIENTS

1 head green cabbage, chopped

4 cups water

4-5 bay leaves

2 tablespoons olive oil

3-4 onions, chopped (about 6 cups)

12-14 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 4-5 cups)

1 whole head of garlic, minced

1½ teaspoons sea salt

2 teaspoons dried marjoram

1½ teaspoons paprika

½ teaspoon black pepper

8-10 whole allspice berries

6-8 juniper berries

4 cups sauerkraut, well drained

6 ounces tomato paste (1 small can or about 10 tablespoons)

*For Crisped Smoked Tofu (optional):

1 block smoked or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed if necessary (about 8-12 ounces)

vegetable oil

liquid smoke

tamari

INSTRUCTIONS

Place chopped cabbage into a large pot or slow cooker, add bay leaves, and pour water over the top. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat, then reduce heat and allow to simmer gently. (If using a slow cooker, I like to use hot or boiling water to get it started more quickly.)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic, and salt and saute for 3-5 minutes, until onions start to become soft and translucent. Turn off heat and stir in marjoram, paprika, and black pepper. Add to the pot of cabbage along with the allspice and juniper berries and stir gently to combine.

Once the cabbage is tender, add the sauerkraut and tomato paste and stir well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Continue to simmer over low heat for at least 30-45 minutes or as much as several hours. Season to taste and add smoked tofu if desired.

*To Make Crispy Smoked Tofu (optional):

Chop the tofu into small pieces. Add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the chopped tofu. Drizzle tamari and liquid smoke generously over the tofu so that all of it is well coated, then fry for 5-8 minutes until crispy, tossing the tofu every so often to brown all sides.

For a crowd:

BIGOS (VEGAN)

Author: Magda | ideliciate.com

Serves: 80-100

INGREDIENTS

10 heads Green Cabbage, chopped

2 ½ Gallons Water

20 Bay Leaves

1 1/4 cups Olive Oil

40 Onions, chopped (about 12 quarts)

10 pounds Cremini Mushrooms, chopped (about 40 quarts)

10 heads of Garlic, minced

5 TBS Salt

3 TBS Dried Marjoram

3 TBS Paprika

10 tsp Black Pepper

80 Whole Allspice Berries

60 Juniper Berries

10 Quarts Sauerkraut, well drained

60 ounces Tomato Paste

*For Crisped Smoked Tofu (optional):

10 blocks smoked or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed if necessary (about 6 pounds)

vegetable oil

liquid smoke

tamari

INSTRUCTIONS

Place chopped cabbage into a large pot or slow cooker, add bay leaves, and pour water over the top. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat, then reduce heat and allow to simmer gently. (If using a slow cooker, I like to use hot or boiling water to get it started more quickly.)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic, and salt and saute for 3-5 minutes, until onions start to become soft and translucent. Turn off heat and stir in marjoram, paprika, and black pepper. Add to the pot of cabbage along with the allspice and juniper berries and stir gently to combine.

Once the cabbage is tender, add the sauerkraut and tomato paste and stir well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Continue to simmer over low heat for at least 30-45 minutes or as much as several hours. Season to taste and add smoked tofu if desired.

*To Make Crispy Smoked Tofu (optional):

Chop the tofu into small pieces. Add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the chopped tofu. Drizzle tamari and liquid smoke generously over the tofu so that all of it is well coated, then fry for 5-8 minutes until crispy, tossing the tofu every so often to brown all sides.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

POTATOES   TACOS   ETHNIC

A variation is to fill the tortillas, fold, and fry in oil until crisp.  Or fold and fry the tortillas into classic taco shape then fill.

This also makes a good filling for burritos.

Crispy Potato Tacos

INGREDIENTS

2 large russet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Corn tortillas

Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa, onion, jalapeno, cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS

Add chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until fork tender, 15-20 minutes. When done, drain potatoes well.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, potatoes and all the spices. Stir until all the spices are evenly incorporated and then arrange in a single layer. Let potatoes cook for 3-5 minutes, until crispy, and then flip and repeat.

Fill corn tortillas with desired amount of potatoes and top with favorite toppings.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

RICE   NOODLES   STOVETOP CASSEROLE 

Oniony Rice & Noodle Dish (Sorta like Rice-a-Roni)

4 oz. Angel Hair of Vermicelli, broken into ~1 inch pieces

1 to 1 ½ cups Long Grain Rice, well rinsed.

2 or 3 Carrots, peeled, trimmed, cut into large dice

2 or 3 stalks Celery, cut into large dice

½ Onion, chopped

1 tsp. Minced Garlic

1 packet Liptons Beefy Onion Soup and Dip mix.*

A little olive oil and butter.

Heat oil and butter in large, non-stick skillet over medium or medium low heat.  Add pasta and rice. Toss to coat.  Add vegetables.

Saute’ for a few minutes until rice turns white, and pasta starts to smell brown.  Toss and stir. 

Sprinkle soup mix over pan, add 3 to 4 cups of water.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  Place lid on pan. Set timer for about 18 to 20 minutes.

* this is about how I made it – didn’t measure the pasta and rice, but quantities are close.  It was a bit under-seasoned.  It could have used some salt and pepper, or another packet of soup mix, or maybe use a soup base rather than plain water. 

Be interesting to add mushrooms when browning the rice and pasta.

An aside, use vegetable oil and margarine and this is both Lenten and Vegan since the soup mix is vegan. 

• Like 1

Ethnic.    Spam

• 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic
  • 4 hamburger buns, split
  • Suggested toppings: tomato slices, red onion slices, cucumber slices, kalamata olives, pepperoncini, tzatziki sauce, crumbled feta
Directions
  1. Prepare grill. Cut SPAM® Classic into 4 slices. Grill SPAM® Classic turning once, 5 to 7 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
  2. Fill each bun with SPAM® Classic and suggested toppings.

Screenshot_20220830-200417.png

HAM    HOLIDAY    ENTERTAINING

Roast Fresh Ham with Onion Stuffing

1 pork boneless leg (fresh ham), 4 pounds

Salt

3 cups water

6 medium onions, chopped (3 cups)

2 cups soft bread cubes (3 to 4 slices)

1 egg, beaten

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 tablespoon dried sage leaves, crushed

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Steps

1 Heat oven to 325ºF. Spread pork flat; sprinkle lightly with salt.

2 Heat water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; add onions. Cook 5 minutes; drain. Mix onions and remaining ingredients. Spread half of the stuffing over pork; roll up. Fasten with metal skewers.

3 Place pork fat side down on rack in shallow roasting pan. Spoon any remaining stuffing over top of pork. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of thickest part of pork and does not touch stuffing. Roast uncovered 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 165ºF.

4 Cover pork with tent of aluminum foil and let stand 15 to 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 170ºF. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5º and pork will be easier to carve as juices set up). Remove foil and skewers. Cut into slices.

Cornmeal.  Bacon.  Light Meal

I didn't reformat this, just copied straight from the site.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bacon-cornbread-dutch-baby-12342941

Dutch Baby:

4 to 6 slices bacon

1/2 cup all-purpose flour (68 grams)

3 tablespoons cornmeal (25 grams)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for serving

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

2/3 cup whole milk, warmed (160 milliliters)

3 eggs, room temperature

1 green onion, thinly sliced

1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced

Garnishes:

2 teaspoons butter (10 grams)

4 fried eggs

1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion

1/4 cup cilantro leaves

1/4 cup extra-old Cheddar, grated, optional

Hot sauce

Directions

1. For the Dutch baby: Cut the bacon slices in half and place into a cold 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place into a cold oven. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. When the oven comes up to temp, set a timer for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, pepper and smoked paprika in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, eggs, green onion and jalapeño until the batter is smooth.
  3. When the timer goes off, carefully remove the bacon from the pan and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pan. Carefully pour the prepared batter into the pan and bake without opening the oven door, until golden brown and very puffy, 15 to 18 minutes.
  4. For the garnishes: While the Dutch baby cooks, melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and fry until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Reheat the bacon in the pan alongside the eggs.
  5. Cut the Dutch baby into four, top each piece with some bacon and an egg. Scatter with green onion, cilantro and Cheddar. Serve with hot sauce, salt and pepper.

• Like 1

Not a receipt, per SE, but interesting.

https://www.culina-vetus.de/2022/09/02/meister-eberhard-on-avoiding-indigestion/

If you have eaten fat meat that did not agree with you, eat pears or cheese afterwards. If you have eaten oversalted food, eat sweet apples afterwards. You must never eat fine and coarse food at the same meal, or you must eat the fine foods beforehand such as soft eggs, young chickens, small birds (and neither) ram, beef, pork nor venison. You shall never eat boiled or roast meat because the fine food will float up on the coarse inside the stomach and rot. Avicenna says that after hard work, or if someone has walked far afield, he should eat no fish. Avicenna also says that nothing is more harmful than to eat many different things, such as fish, meat, crustaceans etc, at the same meal and then linger long (over the table).

It should probably be said that almost everything counselled against here – combining roast meat and ‘fine’ foods, mixing a wide variety of foods, eating for extended periods of time, and eating fat meat – was fairly typical upper-class behaviour.

Meister Eberhard is a recipe collection that belongs into a south German context, most likely associated with the court of Bayern-Landshut during its ascendancy in the first half of the 15th century. We know nothing about the putative author other than that he claims he was part of the kitchen staff there. The text contains an eclectic mix of recipes and dietetic advice heavily cribbed from a variety of sources, including the (unattributed) writings of St Hildegardis Bingensis. The text is published in A. Feyl: Das Kochbuch Meister Eberhards. Diss. Freiburg i.B. 1963 and online on the website of Thomas Gloning.

Classic Spaghetti from Cetara (a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy)

Based on the Roman Garum  anchovy sauce - very delicious and simple.

INGREDIENTS

Directions

Cook the pasta in unsalted boiling water. Meanwhile, chop some parsley, garlic and  peperoncino (optional), add eight tablespoons of olive oil and tablespoons of Delfino Battista colatura di alici di Cetara (Anchovy Sauce).

Add to the pasta cooked al dente, mix well (do not cook) and serve.

The spaghetti al dente and the strong flavour of the Colatura will guarantee you pure pleasure with each mouthful; the true essence of the magnificent culinary tradition of the Amalfi Coast.

A plain, extremely simple dish! Spaghetti with Colatura di Alici can be cooked by anyone and it doesn’t take much time.

An old recipe that well reflects the frenetic pace of modern day: in a few minutes, you can serve a dish which is special, healthy and delicious.

www.delfinobattistasrl.it/en/recipes/spaghetti-with-colatura-di-alici/

STL Suomi
  • Thanks 1

Hot Dogs  Beef

ALL BEEF HOTDOGS

• 5 lbs lean beef chuck
  • 3 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated or powdered garlic
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground mace
  • 1 teaspoon prauge powder #1 or Instacure #1
  • 1 cup ice water
  • 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  1. Trim and cut the beef chuck into 1-2 inch cubes and grind it twice through the finest plate of your meat grinder.
  2. Mix all the dry spice ingredients with the 1 cup of ice water and the cure and 1 cup of dried milk.
  3. Pour the spice/cure/milk mixture into the ground meat and mix it very well for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands to assure even distribution.
  4. Put the sausage mixture into the refrigerator for 30 minutes. When it is cold again, pass it once more through the finest plate of your sausage grinder.
  5. Stuff the ground meat into 1 1/8 natural sheep casings or comparable natural pork or collagen casings. Allow the links to air dry for at least 30 minutes and then take them to the smoker
  6. Smoke the wieners for 60 minutes, turn off the smoke, and continue cooking the sausage until it reaches 152 degrees internally.