SASS Wire Forum

Marjorie Taylor Greene' congresswoman's house was "swatted" last night.  I have to admit I didn't know what this term meant.  

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/security/glossary/what-is-swatting/

Fortunately this has been going on for so long that 911 call centers now trace all calls and collect metadata, so unless you are a tech genius, they will find you.

In Wichita, KS a guy minding his own business in his own basement, gaming,  got swatted. A bunch of police arrived at the guy's house. It did not end well. The innocent gamer got killed by a police "marksman". The people involved in the swatting got lots of prison time.

About 5 years ago it was popular among anti-gun nuts when a bunch of states went "shall issue" or constitutional carry.  They thought it a good idea to call in "man brandishing a gun in a store/mall" reports and hope that the guy would be shot by police.  It was even posted like that on some anti-gun groups.  Then when the idjits did it and hung around to watch, the innocent gun owner was briefly questioned and the anti-gun nut was arrested.  

I had a neighbor joke about Swatting me when I first moved to SoCal the last time. I told him not to joke about that because if it happened I would use his leftist bureaucracy against him and sue him in civil court. I also called the police, not 911 - the “watch desk”, and I reported my neighbor for the threat and gave his name and address. The officer I spoke with said “We’ll handle it”. About 20 minutes later my wife came in the house and said “I wonder what the police were doing across the street?” I just laughed. 
My neighbor never mentioned it but it was a year before he would even look at me. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a neighbor joke about Swatting me when I first moved to SoCal the last time. I told him not to joke about that because if it happened I would use his leftist bureaucracy against him and sue him in civil court. I also called the police, not 911 - the “watch desk”, and I reported my neighbor for the threat and gave his name and address. The officer I spoke with said “We’ll handle it”. About 20 minutes later my wife came in the house and said “I wonder what the police were doing across the street?” I just laughed. 
My neighbor never mentioned it but it was a year before he would even look at me. 

This one needs a HELL YEAH emoji.

:D

It happened to me when I was a cop.  Fortunately, we figured out what was going on before anything bad happened and stood down.  Apparently someone in an online video game was playing a prank on the person in the house we surrounded.

Here in Canada, Swatting is one of the concerns many of us have, given the political climate and our Glorious Leader's attitude towards us.

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a neighbor joke about Swatting me when I first moved to SoCal the last time.

Hitler Youth and Brownshirts were very good at this, as well.
I've seen it here.. advising kids to turn in their parents for gun ownership.
Here in CA, the doctors ask if you have firearms in the house.

"N/A" is the correct response.
It is not a lie, because it is not a Yes or No.

Years ago when we made the conversion to mobile phones and canceled our wired phone plan, TN has a law that all homes must have a wired phone connection that can call 911 at no charge. So with no paid plan and no actual phones hooked up in our house, the phone system started calling 911 in the middle of the night. The local PD would show up and bang on the door till we answered and assured them there was no emergency here... finally got the phone company to completely disconnect the phone lines from my house. Of course I would answer the door with a pistol behind my back, tense situation.

51 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, the doctors ask if you have firearms in the house.

I was asked at one of my doctor’s office if I had firearms in my home. I asked “Why do you want to know?”

The med tech said “I personally don’t want to know. It’s here on the computer screen.”

I said “What are your choices for an answer?”

He said “Yes or No or Other with an explanation.”

I said “Click “other” then type ‘go screw yourself’ as a reason.”

He laughed and said “I will just click ‘No.”

He then said most responses were similar to mine when he asked that question. 

"No" is a lie.
It is OK for Hunter Biden to lie on his 4473, but not for the rest of us.
If one checks "Other" and fills in "Not Applicable" this avoids the lie.

I would not put it past the medical provider to cancel your coverage if they caught you in a lie.

19 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sad that folks nowadays have so little to do.   Real Sad!

It's not that they have so little to do, but more like the fact that they choose to act like Mao's Little Red Guards did during the Cultural Revolution. Brainwashed communist youth who were encouraged to turn in people they found with too much rice, or a gold wristwatch, or who failed to keep a picture of Chairman Mao prominently displayed in their home. I see so many parallels with today's "woke" movement and "cancel culture" it's quite unnerving.

5 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

It happened to me when I was a cop.  Fortunately, we figured out what was going on before anything bad happened and stood down.  Apparently someone in an online video game was playing a prank on the person in the house we surrounded.

The Wichita case was a terrible thing, and it caused me to wonder what is the extent of police authority in response to a totally anonymous telephone complaint; name refused, no 'indicia of reliability' at all. Not enough for a search, for sure. But a completely innocent man ended up dead in that incident at the hands of the  police because of a totally anonymous false accusation.

It's a genuine question. What are the protocols? 

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

...and it caused me to wonder what is the extent of police authority in response to a totally anonymous telephone complaint; name refused, no 'indicia of reliability' at all.

This was a common witch hunt in CA during the child abuse days.

Our eldest was overweight in the 80s, and her pediatrician had her on restricted calories.
She figured to go door to door begging for cookies.
Apparently, she told some woman her parents don't feed her.

This resulted in an anonymous complaint to child protective services in Marin County, CA.
The complaint resulted in both of us being summoned to the gov't agency office to offer reasons why should be allowed to keep our children.
We were amazed that draconian action could be taken against us, without facing our accuser, and without any due process.

For me swatting means getting your butt whacked with a big, wooden paddle. I got swats for misbehaving in junior high school by the vice principle. Left a couple of big bruises on my butt cheeks and hurt like hell. Pretty good way to discourage bad behavior. Vice principle would probably be in jail if he did it today.  When my Dad found out about it, I got a few more at home!!

Amazing I still have knuckles from school rulers. :P Prolly why they have arthritis today. And amazingly, I'm not a serial killer. :lol:

When we used to get swats in school it's because we misbehaved and deserved it. And our parents usually applauded the principle and the principal. Nowadays people will litigate to the end of the Earth for their precious little baby's feelings getting hurt.

I remember in the days of my young and hormonal youth, calling my mother a bitch.
Dad broke my left arm with a 2x4.
This was the worst of the many, many thumpings I got from Dad.

I was fortunate they split up and I left home just before my 17th birthday, or I would have taken a 12 gauge to him.
It wasn't until MANY years later, I finally figured out that every time he hit me, he was hitting my mother.

They had 27 years of wedded un-bliss.

In the end, I spent a month with him before he died.
He was so very proud that I went with IBM and finally "made something" of myself.
It was a good time for all... nothing was left hanging or unresolved.
He had a hat full of brains, and I do wish I could speak with him man to man today, as the child / father relationship is long gone into the dim past.

Archived