SASS Wire Forum

Here, let me pay you to advertise for you…

Pat Riot

For quite a while now something has bugged me about business and people. It all started when I bought my first snd only Harley Davidson and I have been bugged by it since. 
Paying someone money to advertise for them. 
This morning is was doing a bit of research on parts for various .22 LR semiautos. Mostly I was looking at this to see who has critical parts available besides the manufacturer. You know, springs, internal parts, sights, etc. 

I had had an idea that parts for Ruger Mk IV’s are probably the most supported by aftermarket and that the Kel-Tec CP33 probably does not have much aftermarket support. 
I did a DDG search for “Parts for Kel-Tec CP33”.

The first site that pops up is for a company called “Lakeline”. I click on it. The have ONE part available for the CP33 in either left or right hand. The part is not important here. The Lakeline decal is. On that page there is a part fir sale and a decal to display the fact that you bought a “Lakeline” product. 
My thought was “Who the hell are these guys that I need to pay them to advertise for them?” They want me (or anybody) to give them money to advertise for them. 

My first enlightenment in this regard was my first Harley Davidson “Sportster”. Now, HD is a much more well known manufacturer and has a long history dating back to the early 1900’s. Very well known worldwide. 
I was in Harbor City Harley Davidson. It was 1986. I had a new 883 Sportster. I was looking for a white HD tee shirt. All the tee shirts were black. I didn’t want to wear black. Black sux in the sun. The big burley goofball working the floor says something like; “Buy a black one, wear it and like it. Besides, you bought a little b**** bike so grow a pair and wear some black.” 
Well, I will not say here what I said to him or what I did to make him scurry behind the counter like the little b**** he was but in all the excitement a thought popped into my head. “Why am I paying these (butt holes) to advertise for them?”

After the police let me go and the owner decided he would not to sue for damages, the damage wasn’t much, I decided I will not pay to advertise for anyone unless I am absolutely in support of their products and I am that way today. 

I had a conversation with the guys at my favorite LGS in CA regarding this. They wanted people to buy decals and stickers promoting their business. I asked two of the managers why they weren’t giving decals away with every purchase to promote their business? I guess they thought about it and that’s what they did. They also gave away tee shirts…for a while. Now they charge for them. 

Basically this long rant was just to say “Why in the heck do manufacturers and businesses think people should pay them to advertise for them?”

And no, I am not serious about buying a Kel-Tec CP33. At least not until I put my hands on one.

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Basically this long rant was just to say “Why in the heck do manufacturers and businesses think people should pay them to advertise for them?”

Because people, many people, are stupid enough to pay them. Look at all of the T-shirts advertising company names/logos. These T-shirts retail price are $20 on up and people gladly pay it so that they can be with the "in" crowd. The "in" crowd are the people stupid enough to pay 2 to 3 times what a T-shirt should cost because they are under the impression that the shirt makes them look "cool" and because everyone else is doing it. Every time I see one of the Salt Life T-shirts or bumper stickers, I snicker to myself because I'm pretty sure that the wearer of the shirt or owner of the vehicle probably hasn't been anywhere near salt water since they were kids.

My bro-in-law said to a car dealer here years ago, take that license plate holder off my car unless you want to pay me $20.00 a month to advertise for you! I always remember that and have always refused a license plate holder with the dealers name on it. I once refused a car because it had an sticker on the bumper!! I said take it off or I'm not buying it! They took it off and I bought it but never went back to that dealer. They're out of business now anyway.:P

Pat, you are absolutely correct.  If an outfit wants me to advertise their product they can give me the hat, shirt or decal.  Starline gave me a hat when I toured their facility. Hornady gave me a hat.  I wear those as I am using their products. I will not pay for their advertising.

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My bro-in-law said to a car dealer here years ago, take that license plate holder off my car unless you want to pay me $20.00 a month to advertise for you! I always remember that and have always refused a license plate holder with the dealers name on it. I once refused a car because it had an sticker on the bumper!! I said take it off or I'm not buying it! They took it off and I bought it but never went back to that dealer. They're out of business now anyway.:P

Learned that from my dad a long time ago.  NO dealer logos allowed on any of the roughly 25 cars I've owned.  Used to be tough though, way back in the day when some of the local dealers had pot metal plates that attached with a couple of pins through drilled holes in the trunk lid or rear fascia.  :angry:

CS

10 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Cypress Sun,

I wonder if I could sell a "Widdermaniac".  T-shirt to TN Williams?

uhmmmmmmm.

..........Widder

By Golly, if you make ‘em I’ll buy one! :D

I’ll advertise for you. :)

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Same here! I bought a Chevy S10 ZR2 in 2003. The dealership would put those east coast dealer emblems on their cars with rivets or nut-serts or some kind of hardware. I stipulated when I said “I’ll take it but don’t you dare put one of those emblems on there. I will cancel the sale.”

The salesman said “What about a license plate ring?”

I said “If you want to waste the money on it, go ahead. I will remove it and throw it away as soon as I get home.” And that is exactly what I did. 

When I bought my Kawasaki in Oregon, Taylor’s, the dealership put a license plate ring on and they gave me a hat and a Kawasaki tee shirt. That was fine with me. I still wear the hat. The shirt shrunk :rolleyes:

The license plate ring came off when I got home. 

23 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Cypress Sun,

uhmmmmmmm.

..........Widder

Sure, you could sell him one...but you'd be better off leasing him one that he can buy at the end of the lease. Tell him that if he puts it on a scarecrow, his corn/crow problems will disappear. :P

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Cypress Sun,

uhmmmmmmm.

..........Widder

I’m pretty sure he spent his allowance on DQ stickers and t-shirts. :P

When we leased this car the dealers license plate ring came off of the back and our "Serenity is knowing which River not to cross" went on the back.  A week later the front was replaced with "I'm a Leaf on the wind, watch how I soar" went on the front.

Cyprus got it right: "so that they can be with the "in" crowd. "  the "Lookit me!  I'm so cool that I buy this overpriced product!"

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Cyprus got it right: "so that they can be with the "in" crowd. "  the "Lookit me!  I'm so cool that I buy this overpriced product!"

Agreed! 

I actually knew a guy that bought all his clothing to impress others. Name brands and “cool” brands. He would not wear anything that didn’t have certain logos on them. Silliness. 

Now, I know guys that wear nothing but Carhartt outer wear, but they do it because the clothes last snd they’re well made. That, in my book, isn’t really the same as buying for the logo for prestige. 

I decided this back when I was a kid, (18-19), and everybody else was wearing whatever was in style at the moment. They were wearing clothes from a maker with a large logo on it because it was "cool", but I wouldn't because I wasn't getting paid to advertise for them. 

I still think the same way. Unless the item is something I need, I will find an alternative without the logo. I wear polo style shirts nowadays, put I won't wear Polo shirts because of the logo.  

I do the same thing with vehicle stickers and license plate frames that some of the other guys mentioned too.  

Directly or INDIRECTLY...... we all pay for those Advertising items.

Chevy, Ford, RAM, Tacoma, etc......... like it or not, those car names embossed on the grill and tailgate are not free.   WE pay for that stuff which

is included in the price of the vehicle.

The Ruger emblem on all their pistol grips ain't free.   The cost of those emblems are included in the price of the pistols.

If a gun dealer gives away a 'free' Ruger hat, somehow/someway, the cost of that hat is paid for by somebody, whether it be from

Ruger or the dealer, as they set prices of their products to pay for this stuff.

You may not want the license plate cover when you buy the car, but the dealer don't discount the price by a few bucks when you decline

to take it.   Somehow, someway..... it was included in his pricing.    Just like the cost of his overhead (building space, heating/AC, and electric

cost......... ALL are included in his pricing and profit margin.

That's how I see it.

..........Widder

There is a "Company " that sells Modern Mopar parts ( well copied cheap made ), real Church going praise God Mega Church going  Owner . She started a Program that for every thousand you spend you can BUY a  stage 1,  spend more stage 2 and even more stage 3  Plaque from her that show her Company and stage . 
 So spend 5 K you get stage 2 you can then buy her plaque (cheap 5 dollar piece)  for 55 bucks more to show off  

17 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Chevy, Ford, RAM, Tacoma, etc......... like it or not, those car names embossed on the grill and tailgate are not free.   WE pay for that stuff which

The Ruger emblem on all their pistol grips ain't free.   The cost of those emblems are included in the price of the pistols.

If a gun dealer gives away a 'free' Ruger hat, somehow/someway, the cost of that hat is paid for by somebody, whether it be from

Ruger or the dealer, as they set prices of their products to pay for this stuff.

You may not want the license plate cover when you buy the car, but the dealer don't discount the price by a few bucks when you decline

to take it.   Somehow, someway..... it was included in his pricing.    Just like the cost of his overhead (building space, heating/AC, and electric

cost......... ALL are included in his pricing and profit margin.

That's how I see it.

..........Widder

That's all true but that doesn't mean we have to advertise for them for free! 

I only did this a couple of times.  I had a ‘69 Chevelle SS that I bought used and hated the color.  I had access to a good shop and so I stripped the car over a couple of nights and me and some of my buddies cleaned it up and painted it black.

When I did it, I removed every emblem except the SS emblems on it, inside and out!

For many years, (I’ve owned it for 34) I had no HD emblems on my old Harley, anywhere!  I only put the tin HD emblems on the tanks when I went with the 1953 look a few years back.

I don't buy anything with a makers logo on it except custom leather work., and most of that is branded on the back.  Ariat is out, as are most western wear clothiers (and with the button down collars,  short sleeve shirts and ridiculous fabric patterns, that cuts the options way down) and lots of other products.

I would pay extra to find a pickup that didn't have a 2' x 5' billboard on the tailgate or emblazoned on the sides.  

I had a very professional refinish job done taking the "bill board" and most other markings removed from my RIA 1911.  Kept the name on the top of the barrel and the serial number is still intact.  While I was having that done I also had an absolutely beautiful civilian blue job done.  I'll tell anyone who asks who my gunsmith is, (because he is one of the best I've ever seen) but I don't want his ad on the gun.

Pay me enough and I'll wear a sandwich board for you, but you'll pay me, I won't pay you.

45 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

For many years, (I’ve owned it for 34) I had no HD emblems on my old Harley, anywhere!  I only put the tin HD emblems on the tanks when I went with the 1953 look a few years back.

You said a huge one right there People pay big money in HD merchandise to fit in 

I DO own several HD shirts.  My well-to-do sister-in-law used to buy the really nice/expensive dress style shirts for me for Christmas and birthdays.  I also did shows for different Harley dealerships in the Southeast and in biker bars all over.  Some of them are part of the pay for the appearances and some were bought for costuming purposes.  

I have T-shirts from different dealerships all over the world!  I used to joke about having to blow the fish out of the pipes after trips to Europe, England, Hawaii, and Australia! :rolleyes: :lol:

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That's how I see it.

..........Widder

I don't mind the identifying logo on the product I'm driving or using, but a piece of clothing with a logo is different. I drive a Jeep. It says "Jeep" on the vehicle, and I don't mind that. But I can't just get a similar vehicle that doesn't, either, besides, the vehicle comes with the logo on it whether you pay extra for it or not. The clothing with the logo is a CHOICE that you make, whether or not to show that logo.

In my earlier post, I mentioned "Polo" shirts. I can buy a similar shirt from Walmart with no marking for less than half what "Polo" wants for their shirt. And to be honest, it's not the logo so much as that some people think that they're "better" BECAUSE they wear a shirt with a logo. Even if I were to wear the logo, I still wouldn't wear  the store's logo too.

39 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

You said a huge one right there People pay big money in HD merchandise to fit in 

Side story: Some years ago, when I was between wives, I had a Yamaha motorcycle that I rode to the bars on weekends. One Friday in January, (Arizona January, night temps only in the 50s, so not FREEZING), A group of Bikers were having a birthday party for one of their own in a bar I frequented. Cuts, Colors, and leather filled the bar. All with Harley logos on them. These guys weren't "outlaw" bikers, just a bunch of people who liked and rode Harleys. I knew most of them and drank a few with them, my current wife's best friend and her husband among them.

When I went to leave to go to another bar, there was only ONE motorcycle in the parking lot, My Yamaha.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

When I was scuba diving a local dive shop had dive flag front license plates with there store name on them. They gave the plates away and also every time you came to get an air fill in the vehicle with their tag you received a free fill.

A perfect example of PAYING you to advertise for them.

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Maybe just a bit TMI there :)  

puppet-awkward.gif

Don't read too much into it. My first wife had passed about two years previously, and I hadn't met my current wife yet. In fact, the "best friend" I mentioned actually introduced us a few weeks later.

In my teens and twenties, I 

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I decided this back when I was a kid, (18-19), and everybody else was wearing whatever was in style at the moment. They were wearing clothes from a maker with a large logo on it because it was "cool", but I wouldn't because I wasn't getting paid to advertise for them. 

I still think the same way. Unless the item is something I need, I will find an alternative without the logo. I wear polo style shirts nowadays, put I won't wear Polo shirts because of the logo.  

I do the same thing with vehicle stickers and license plate frames that some of the other guys mentioned too.  

You were smarter than I was at that age. All through my teens and 20s I was a walking billboard because shirts with logos were "cool". Wasn't till my 30s that I stopped caring about that. Now I buy shirts without company logos whenever I can. 

I make some exceptions for free shirts/hats given out by a company as swag (if I really like the company), or organizations I want to actively promote. Other than that, it's plain colored t-shirts for me.

I need to swap out my license plate frames for blank ones.

19 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Don't read too much into it. My first wife had passed about two years previously, and I hadn't met my current wife yet. In fact, the "best friend" I mentioned actually introduced us a few weeks later.

Sorry to hear about a wife passing  that know  all to well that well .

5 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Sorry to hear about a wife passing  that  no all to well that well .

Appreciate it. Too many of us here have known it. It was over 20 years ago, (1994), so the wound is pretty well scarred over. I've been with my current wife since '96, so it worked out.

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

There is a bit of a difference between, "That's how we designed it, live with it." and "Here, pay us $45 for this spiffy T-shirt with our logo on it!"

I just remembered that I do have one piece of advertising apparel.  A hat from Coonie's Explosives and Black Powder.  I had ordered BP for our reenacting unit.  I think it was 46 pounds of Fg (they were out of Cannon Grade) and 4 pounds of FFg.  They sent me 46 pounds of Fg and 4 pounds of FFFFg.  When I called them they told me to keep the FFFFg, they would send me the 4 pounds of FFg.  As a bonus they threw in the hat.  The FFFFg went to make quills.  

Our license plate surrounds all advertise for "Japan Auto Care" in our town.
The owner and I are friends for decades.
He fixes my cars... I fix his computers.

His shop does high quality work, and I'm just fine with advertising it.

On the flip side, R. Crumb (60s cartoonist who created the "Truckin" dude) absolutely refused to wear any clothing with text or pictures on it.
He was adamant about that.

As to Harley-Davidson, the "HD" actually stands for "hundred dollars" because that is the minimum it costs every time you go there.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:
4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't mind the identifying logo on the product I'm driving or using, but a piece of clothing with a logo is different. I drive a Jeep. It says "Jeep" on the vehicle, and I don't mind that. But I can't just get a similar vehicle that doesn't, either, besides, the vehicle comes with the logo on it whether you pay extra for it or not. The clothing with the logo is a CHOICE that you make, whether or not to show that logo.

Exactly!

One thing I do wear that I guess promotes a “franchise” is Star Trek tee shirts. I like all the iterations of Star Trek so I wear shirts that I buy from Amazon. They have a Star Trek shirt of the month club. I finally cancelled it as I have plenty now. :rolleyes:

Back in the 70's I worked at a Yamaha dealer. Yamaha had a big program to teach riding or something, any way they had a big corporate showing in town and one of them took one of our bikes to ride while in town. When he brought it back it had the license ring from our biggest competitor on it. One of their mechanics changed it , we all got a good laugh out of that.

When I was living in Florida and you renewed your car license plate the top of the plate read “ WWW.FLORIDA.COM “.  Now I know there is no state with that name and I asked the DMV for a plate without the advertising, since I did not want to advertise the logo, or was the state paying me to advertise for them?  The DMV response was you could PAY for a vanity plate!  No thanks, so I covered the www and com part with white reflective tape and for 15 years I never got a ticket or pulled over for vandalizing a plate. To this date The state of Florida still does not have a regular state plate, just advertising.  Go figure. :rolleyes:

Archived