SASS Wire Forum

I couldn’t put it off any longer

Utah Bob #35998

Due to circumstances beyond my control I have done virtually no tractor work for the better part of 2 years. But my road has suffered from lack of maintenance and the summer rains of late.

The B2650 Kubota has been sitting under the tarp since 2020. The last time I remember starting it was some time last winter I think, maybe before. So with trepidation, I put on my work duds and headed down to see If I could get her running.

Pulled the tarp and blew months of cobwebs and dirt off the seat and dials. Checked the fluids, battery, tires, fuel filter, and prayed the diesel was still liquid. I crossed my fingers, warmed the plug and turned the key.

She came to life like brand new. Ran it up to 2300rpm, put it in low and did about 2 hours work. Now I’m dirty, sweaty, greasy, and Happy.

Thank you Kubota Corporation.:wub:

Old pic. That’s why there’s snow on the mountains. ;)

5BEFF1AE-D126-418D-BA5F-1732BA221E05.jpeg

City of Elyria had a Kubota tractor at the sewer plant.
That little machine was a pullin' fool.

We had Kubota 4WD dump bed buggies that were ... not well regarded ... but that tractor was absolutely a gem.

Delighted yours is too!

Running the tractor is good therapy for me I think.

28 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I spent an hour and 45 minutes on mine clearing ridge roads. ran out of daylight.  great machines.

I was once going to add extra work lights to mine so I could work later.

But I snapped out of it. :lol:

I like 'em larger.

20170420_155358.thumb.jpg.275596b30b109f865a77127eb77900fa.jpg

That is my 5'4" wife standing beside it.   The grapple is 9' across.   It's great therapy to drag big logs around with it. 

550 cu in, 300hp,

49,570 lb gross wt. 

1,100 lbs torque. 

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Now that's a toy!

It is fun to operate, but with the caveat that you can never let down your guard.

It is wheeled tractor.  You can NEVER run it over a steep bank, or allow a downhill wheel to dig in on a side slope.  If you're lucky and are carrying or pulling attached logs, you might survive, but nobody ever survives skidding tractor roll-overs.  So you wear the full harness and hardhat, work  carefully and observantly, and you quit early, before operator fatigue sets in.

Interestingly, 80% of all tractor solo accidents occur after 3:30 PM, after operators become fatigued.  

So think about passing on installing those work lights. 

Yep, watched the skidder here during the winter! Decided you need to have some testicular fortitude for that on ice. Loggers all run those heavy O type chains here. Nice machine you have. Stay safe.

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It is fun to operate, but with the caveat that you can never let down your guard.

It is wheeled tractor.  You can NEVER run it over a steep bank, or allow a downhill wheel to dig in on a side slope.  If you're lucky and are carrying or pulling attached logs, you might survive, but nobody ever survives skidding tractor roll-overs.  So you wear the full harness and hardhat, work  carefully and observantly, and you quit early, before operator fatigue sets in.

Interestingly, 80% of all tractor solo accidents occur after 3:30 PM, after operators become fatigued.  

So think about passing on installing those work lights. 

I don’t work long enough to get fatigued. It’s agin my religion! :D

And anybody who operates a tractor without knowing how dangerous they can be is a fool.

35 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Heh.  The tractor I grew up on was an old Ford 8N...

My dad's was a 9N.  It pulled like an elephant, even without 4wd!  

Archived