SASS Wire Forum

Tuna noodle caserole

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

My Mom used to make these and my wife did, too.

Got a strange urge to put some in my nostalgia file, but can't find a simple recipe.  I'm thinking tuna, cream of mushroom soup, noodles, and American cheese.  Maybe some milk, too.

Am I close?  I don't want celery, parsley, potatoes, and all that other crap that some recipes call for

I also have no clue what quantities to use.

Help a poor old bachelor relive something I didn't even like all that well from my past.

Thanks.

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/tuna-noodle-casserole/

can leave peas out if wanted.

Ingredients

• 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (regular or 25% Lower Sodium) 

• 1/2 cup milk  

• 1 cups frozen peas 

• 1 (10 ounce) cans tuna, drained 

• 2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles 

• 1 tablespoons dry bread crumbs 

• 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Stir soup, milk, peas, tuna and noodles in 3-quart casserole.

• Step 2

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hot. Stir.

• Step 3

Mix bread crumbs with butter in bowl and sprinkle over tuna mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more.

TIPS 

For a Cheese Topping: In place of buttered bread crumbs, top with 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese over hot casserole.

For Chicken Noodle Casserole: Substitute about 2 cups cooked cubed chicken or Swanson(R) Chunk Chicken, drained, for tuna.

7 minutes ago, Castalia,SASS#18915 said:

My Mom used the Campbell's recipe. Only difference is she used potato chips crunched up instead of bread crumbs. I used to help make this as a child. I got to mash the potato chips. These days I'd rather not have tuna casserole. Your post has me wanting a trip down nostalgia lane.

Touchstones from happier times!

I love every one of the ingredients in the dish!  I absolutely hate tuna casserole!

edit:  Otto don’t know the difference between tuna and tune!!

Another oldie, Ham & Cheese in Puff Pastry tonight! 

1 minute ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Mom had me eat so much tuna when I was a kid, I can't stand it now.  Haven't ate a bite of it since I turned 21 years old.  

Different items, but I sure understand that!  If it would bring her back, I'd eat all of the most hated with great good cheer.

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Another oldie, Ham & Cheese in Puff Pastry tonight! 

Different items, but I sure understand that!  If it would bring her back, I'd eat all of the most hated with great good cheer.

Agreed.  I'd eat anything to have mom back for long enough to cook a meal.  

Casseroles of all kinds we had when I was a kid. Tuna noodle and others. And Spanish Rice and its varients. All sorts of dishes to make the rice, beans, and noodles go a long way with a little meat, sausag. or or fish..

I don't really miss them. Except I still like a good homemade macaroni and cheese. And I'd  definitely tuck into a tuna casserole if invited. 

I love a well made mac ‘n’ cheese!  If you consider lasagna a casserole, I’ll go for a good bolognese as well!  Most other casseroles just don’t strike my fancy!  

Schoolmarm makes a chicken dish with three cheeses and Marsala wine that’s almost a casserole, but there’s no noodles or rice.  Maybe I will get her to make it with some big egg noodles next time.

Boy!!  But I love me a big tuna steak!!  Like it seasoned and smoked too!!

In my younger days when we went backpacking that was one of our camp meals. Box of mac and cheese mix and dump a can of tuna in it. Not a lot of weight, not a lot of fuel used (none if you cook it on a fire) taste pretty good especially compared to much of the freeze dried crap. Maybe not what you are looking for exactly but cheap and easy. I batched it for much of my adult life, still know most of the tricks.

JHC

Only tuna I ever ate was at the snack bar on post in Germany. They made a decent tuna salad sammich. Seemed yto help with a hangover. Haven’t had one since 68. :lol:

6 hours ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/tuna-noodle-casserole/

can leave peas out if wanted.

Ingredients

• 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (regular or 25% Lower Sodium) 

• 1/2 cup milk  

• 1 cups frozen peas 

• 1 (10 ounce) cans tuna, drained 

• 2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles 

• 1 tablespoons dry bread crumbs 

• 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Stir soup, milk, peas, tuna and noodles in 3-quart casserole.

• Step 2

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hot. Stir.

• Step 3

Mix bread crumbs with butter in bowl and sprinkle over tuna mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more.

TIPS 

For a Cheese Topping: In place of buttered bread crumbs, top with 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese over hot casserole.

For Chicken Noodle Casserole: Substitute about 2 cups cooked cubed chicken or Swanson(R) Chunk Chicken, drained, for tuna.

Mom used to make this but she’d replace the breadcrumbs with crumbled Ruffles potato chips and she’d stick it under the broiler to finish it and it was very good.

I never cared for casseroles using canned soup, always seemed way too salty to me. My Moms recipe was tuna, wide egg noodles, 1/2 small onion chopped, sour cream, heavy cream and crumbled crackers.

2 cans tuna

8 oz wide egg noodles, cooked

1/2 small onion, chopped

2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 sleeve crumbled saltines

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

While noodles are cooking sauté onion in small pat of butter

Drain noodles and mix all ingredients in large bowl. Pour into 9x13 baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 20-25min or until top is browned. 

You can tuna piano, but you can’t tuna fish!

like what seems to be most of you, I too grew up on my moms tuna casserole. So much that I came to hate it. My moms recipe was the Campbells with the exception that she added broccoli florets.

26 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

like what seems to be most of you, I too grew up on my moms tuna casserole. So much that I came to hate it. My moms recipe was the Campbells with the exception that she added broccoli florets.

I’ll have to try broccoli, it sounds more appealing than peas 

Mom taught all three of her sons rudimentary cooking skills.  So I've cooked since I was a pre-teen.  About 20 years ago, I decided to ramp up my skills somewhat.  I watched a lot of cooking shows (Good Eats with Alton Brown was a favorite) and read a lot of books and websites.  I've got pretty good at it.  Now, it's just me and the wife at the house, and she's on a cholesterol restricted diet, so I cook about once a week, and we eat left overs the rest of the time.  I've had the ingredients for Italian Sausage and White Bean stew in the fridge for two weeks now, but we've had other stuff to finish before I make it.

My mom never made tuna casserole, I never had it until I got married and my wife (ex now) made a great tuna casserole. I haven’t had it for awhile since my neighbor used to make it about twice a month for me. Sadly she passed two years ago.

I guess I’ll have to make it myself!

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Only tuna I ever ate was at the snack bar on post in Germany. They made a decent tuna salad sammich. Seemed yto help with a hangover. Haven’t had one since 68. :lol:

My Father's Air Force cure: Go to flight line; Climb into seat, Put on O2 mask and breath for a while.

After a mess binge at Petawawa I wished for access to an O2 equipped AC.

It's not a casserole but I make an easy quick bachelor dinner, pasta and tuna with olive oil and Romano cheese sprinkled on it! 

4 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Mom taught all three of her sons rudimentary cooking skills.  So I've cooked since I was a pre-teen.  About 20 years ago, I decided to ramp up my skills somewhat.  I watched a lot of cooking shows (Good Eats with Alton Brown was a favorite) and read a lot of books and websites.  I've got pretty good at it.  Now, it's just me and the wife at the house, and she's on a cholesterol restricted diet, so I cook about once a week, and we eat left overs the rest of the time.  I've had the ingredients for Italian Sausage and White Bean stew in the fridge for two weeks now, but we've had other stuff to finish before I make it.

HEY, MARK!!

I love Italian sausage and I love white beans!!  How ‘bout you share that recipe!!

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

hangover or tuna sandwich?

16 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Mom had me eat so much tuna when I was a kid, I can't stand it now.  Haven't ate a bite of it since I turned 21 years old.  

I'm OK with cold tuna but if it's warmed at all = no way.  Like many above grew up on casseroles

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Noooooo, it doesn't!  Broccoli is about as appealing as sun dried dog poop on a stick.

Yea but broccoli is better for you:lol: 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm 80 years old and probably haven't eaten a cup of broccoli in a those years.  I don't much concern myself over faddish healthy food and I figure to live another forty of fifty years if I don't die first.

I get it you don’t like broccoli but it’s not  a faddish health food, people have been eating it for hundreds of years!!!

8 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Same here... except to this day it still remains one of my favorite dishes. :wub:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I get it you don’t like broccoli but it’s not  a faddish health food, people have been eating it for hundreds of years!!!

I like it better than peas for a vegetable with a meal . I just never thought of it in tuna/chicken casserole 

Archived