SASS Wire Forum

To engrave or not to engrave the Big Iron

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Something in another thread got me to thinking about customized pistols, and which one, of any, or mine I might like to "embellish" somehow.

Almost right away, I thought the perfect candidate would be my "Big Iron" pistol, inspired by the Marty Robbins song and patterned after the description of it on Wikipedia.  (Mine is not exactly the same as the original, but it's close enough for me!)

Anyway, here's the Big Iron as it looks today...

1645070936_BigIron.jpg.fc325b06be3f63400cc7fcf2f9546aac.jpg

Source pistol is an Armi San Marco, .45 Colt.   Grips are Pietta 1860's, and the barrel is cut down from a Rossi 92.  It's about as practical as, well, nothing, but it's really cool, and I'm considering making it cooler.   

But how?  Do I have some engraving done?  Put my alias or the words "BIG IRON" in fancy script on the backstrap or the barrel?  I suppose the options are limitless, except of course what I am able and willing to pay for.  Is less more, or should I go whole hog?  Or if it was yours would you just leave it alone?  The gun will never be "worth" anything unless I get elected President or something, so I am wondering what people think would be fun options for making it prettier.

I would call Sam Cherry Engraving at Cherry's Fine Guns, Phone: 336-854-4182, and have her do "D" engraving on it..  Maybe think about some gold and silver inlays. Turnbull reblue maybe case harding.  ;)

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

I would call Sam Cherry Engraving at Cherry's Fine Guns, Phone: 336-854-4182, and have her do "D" engraving on it..  Maybe think about some gold and silver inlays. Turnbull reblue maybe case harding.  ;)

Turnbull?   I think that's more than I wanna spend.  :)

I actually have one of the little engraving pens.  I have a shoebox full of lathe change gears most of which did not have the tooth count written on them.  Tried different markers but it always rubbed off.  Just for the heck of it I ordered one of the pens and was amazed how well it works.  Would not try it on a gun unless I had a pantograph but that would probably cost more than the gun.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.53e1d6e5345bc2b8005a2d95c6b18bb1.jpeg

Howdy HK

Seeing as the Colt Single Action Army was never produced with an octagonal barrel, or a brass trigger guard, I say go ahead and do what ever you want to that incorrect revolver.

A long time ago, I took classes and learned engraving.  I wanted to distinctively engrave my guns, and probably everything else I owned at the time.  

My wife suggested I hold off for a time, before making permanent changes that I might get tired of looking at. 

The bottom line is that my guns are still unembellished.   I still do some pictorial plate, and occasional gun engraving, but my own guns all still have their original simple beauty, with the exception of some replaced stocks and grips.  

I thank my wife for her clear insight back then.  She knew me better than I did.

My two-bit advice:  

Go slowly.

Think clearly.

Give it a cooling off period before you let anyone start cutting on your guns. 

Engraving is a one-way road.  You cannot go back. 

2 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy HK

Seeing as the Colt Single Action Army was never produced with an octagonal barrel, or a brass trigger guard, I say go ahead and do what ever you want to that incorrect revolver.

I know the gun will never be "worth" anything on the collector market.  (Unless I somehow become famous...)  When I was looking to do this, I was basing the design on how the original Big Iron that inspired the Marty Robbins song was described on Wikipedia.   At the time, it was described as having a 10" barrel, cut down from a Marlin rifle, and 1860 grips.   The article did not say, but I always pictured it as octagonal in my mind.   I later learned that the actual pistol has a round barrel.  Oh well, this is all fantasy anyway.   (And my  barrel is a reproduction Winchester one from Rossi as well.)  The reasons I went with the brass trigger guard were because it was slightly less expensive, and more importantly, in stock at the time.   

When all is said and done, I just wanted to have something like the gun that inspired the song cuz, well, I like the song, and I thought the description of the original was kinda cool sounding.   Makes for a nice novelty gun, if nothing else.   The Armi San Marco that formed the basis of the gun was something I got used for $250, and I wasn't using it much anymore, so it was a good candidate for the modifications.    In this new configuration, it's got really incredible long range accuracy.

I know someone who knows the person who has the original Big Iron.  I am hoping to someday meet up with him and photograph my pistol next to the original.  Don't know if I'll ever get the chance, but it'll sure be fun to do so if I do!

21 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I like engraving, but not a big fan of really long barreled revolvers, so I would probably cut three inches off of it before having it engraved

BLASPHEMER!!!!

12 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, that's pretty!   A real Colt?  Real ivory?

First year second generation, 1956 and four digit serial number.

Yes, real ivory.

:FlagAm: Chas B 

3 hours ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Well, take a wild guess what I am in favor of.

Chas B

P1000840.JPG

P1000838.JPG

P1000837.JPG

P1000841.JPG

P1000842.JPG

Nice shotgun shell!

Just kidding.  V. nice engraving job.  

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...since this is an "Opinion" thread...I'd say sell it and get a real gun.

But...that's just me.

Phantom

Hey everybody, Phantom woke up on the wrong side of the bunkhouse!  Again!

11 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Hey everybody, Phantom woke up on the wrong side of the bunkhouse!  Again!

Maybe you're right...but are you consistent???

Looking forward to your response to Driftwood Johnson's post.

Really looking forward to it...

Phantom

15 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Maybe you're right...but are you consistent???

Looking forward to your response to Driftwood Johnson's post.

Really looking forward to it...

Phantom

Just saw yours and as usual yours was crabby and negative, but as you also said it is a post that was asking for an opinion, so I gave one too!  Like the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup spokesman says “not sorry”.  

2 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Just saw yours and as usual yours was crabby and negative, but as you also said it is a post that was asking for an opinion, so I gave one too!  Like the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup spokesman says “not sorry”.  

So...you aren't consistent. Got it.

His comment included this "...I say go ahead and do what ever you want to that incorrect revolver."

Now I frankly agree with his take, but you obviously have proven to have a strange obsession.

Phantom

Considering it can cost thousands to have engraving by someone that knows their business, it seems like you should find a higher value canvas. Since it is a clone, I can't see engraving making it worth the value of the gun and the cost of engraving. If you have someone that doesn't do their craft well, that seems like money wasted. Either way, do what you want, but it's going to be a labor of love and never get the return you invest. Maybe, you can find someone that does CNC laser engraving for a fraction of the cost for real engraving.

The cost to modify the gun to this configuration has already exceeded the original cost of the (used) pistol.  And I know I'll never get the investment back.  That said, I don't wanna spend 4 figures on whatever I decide to do, if anything.   I thin the most likely course of action is to have BIG IRON inscribed on the backstrap or the side of the barrel.   That should be affordable to do.  More for fun than anything else at this point.

Still, the next time I get out to Arizona, this gun goes with me.  I found a place on line that sells stars that say "Arizona Ranger" on them, and I have learned that Agua Fria is a real place.   Too good to pass up!

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The cost to modify the gun to this configuration has already exceeded the original cost of the (used) pistol.  And I know I'll never get the investment back.  That said, I don't wanna spend 4 figures on whatever I decide to do, if anything.   I thin the most likely course of action is to have BIG IRON inscribed on the backstrap or the side of the barrel.   That should be affordable to do.  More for fun than anything else at this point.

Still, the next time I get out to Arizona, this gun goes with me.  I found a place on line that sells stars that say "Arizona Ranger" on them, and I have learned that Agua Fria is a real place.   Too good to pass up!

Enjoy life  It is short

Best Wishes

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yes, the Agua Fria I know is a national monument that includes Indian ruins. And, it's a "river".

Aspen Filly does engraving.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

Yes, the Agua Fria I know is a national monument that includes Indian ruins. And, it's a "river".

Aspen Filly does engraving.

I discovered two towns that go by Agua Fria.  One is a town in New Mexico, and the other, is a former stagecoach stop in the present day town of El Mirage, Arizona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agua_Fria,_Arizona

Archived